VA Safety Inspection

. Inspections can be a PITA but man on my commute I see some really sketchy vehicles with MD tags like a car where three of the wheels were different sizes. POS was booging down I95 at 60mph+.

Dave Apker
yeah, MD sucks for sooooo many things, but not having an annual auto inspection makes life just a little bit easier for Jeeps with modifications. I’m not suggesting I think it’s cool to run around in something unsafe, but stuff that’s completely streetable but not within the letter of the law per a strict inspection…. I ran a TJ with a rear spool for years as a daily driver in MD, I‘m guessing that woulda been a no go in VA.

Sometimes you just need a relationship with the shop/inspector. A good shop wants you to keep coming back vs screwing you on the little things one time.

I won't say the shop publicly where, but the inspector has been there for atleast 20 years. He knows me and all my vehicles so I drive 45 mins to him. Generally speaking he stopped looking over my vehicles years ago; just hands me a sticker. Other customers if they have an issue he'll point it out or tell them they can pass today but X will need replacing in 1/3/6 months whatever, he even changes bulbs for free if its quick enough. Now to be fair, when you have 20+ vehicles I see him sometimes multiple times a month. He even passed my rehab ZJ with enough frame rust to honestly fail. He knows I'll only drive it 100 miles a year or so and that next year it was getting historic tags. He did scold me a bit for that one.

What I will say to all - Manassas auto/tire on the corner of liberia and centreville rd. Avoid at all costs. They are the worst scam artists anyone can find. My sister went in for a quick inspection and they put the car up on a full lift, went over car like a crime scene for 30 mins and came back with 3k worth of repairs. This included saying the car was unsafe and needed a power steering rack because they "found evidence of power steering fluid on the body" Wouldn't even start an inspection without gathering all personal marketing info, never seen that before.

Sometimes you just need a relationship with the shop/inspector. A good shop wants you to keep coming back vs screwing you on the little things one time.

I won't say the shop publicly where, but the inspector has been there for atleast 20 years. He knows me and all my vehicles so I drive 45 mins to him. Generally speaking he stopped looking over my vehicles years ago; just hands me a sticker. Other customers if they have an issue he'll point it out or tell them they can pass today but X will need replacing in 1/3/6 months whatever, he even changes bulbs for free if its quick enough. Now to be fair, when you have 20+ vehicles I see him sometimes multiple times a month. He even passed my rehab ZJ with enough frame rust to honestly fail. He knows I'll only drive it 100 miles a year or so and that next year it was getting historic tags. He did scold me a bit for that one.

What I will say to all - Manassas auto/tire on the corner of liberia and centreville rd. Avoid at all costs. They are the worst scam artists anyone can find. My sister went in for a quick inspection and they put the car up on a full lift, went over car like a crime scene for 30 mins and came back with 3k worth of repairs. This included saying the car was unsafe and needed a power steering rack because they "found evidence of power steering fluid on the body" Wouldn't even start an inspection without gathering all personal marketing info, never seen that before.
I thought I had a good relationship with Safford of Warrenton but they put flunking me for 4mm of brake pad over a long term relationship. Brown's was just bad with inspections and lsot me as customer. I know use Craftsmen Auto for service and inspection w/o any issues and Fair Oaks Jeep. Brown and Safford got reported to state police and I believe Safford lost their state inspection prrivileges for a few mos. VA State Troopers are always very nice helpful when it comes issues with state inspections. I am beginning to think with some of POS I see with VA tags that maybe VA should return to safety inpsections every 6mos like they had back in the good old days.

Dave Apker

I thought I had a good relationship with Safford of Warrenton but they put flunking me for 4mm of brake pad over a long term relationship. Brown's was just bad with inspections and lsot me as customer. I know use Craftsmen Auto for service and inspection w/o any issues and Fair Oaks Jeep. Brown and Safford got reported to state police and I believe Safford lost their state inspection prrivileges for a few mos. VA State Troopers are always very nice helpful when it comes issues with state inspections. I am beginning to think with some of POS I see with VA tags that maybe VA should return to safety inpsections every 6mos like they had back in the good old days.

Dave Apker

I'll be honest, 90% of the inspections are done just to collect money. Vast majority of cars have no issues or don't develope issues until much later then previously. Scam shops though need to be cracked down on. Every station is required to have a poster of what to inspect, some just make things up. Emissions inspections need to go away, safety should be every 2-3 years. only after a vehicle is 10+ years old.

Offical record of mileage is nice if you have certain insurance policies dependent on low mileage or "paddock use" cars.

I flat out don't trust dealers, which is a problem because I've literally been putting off warranty work on the WL.

I'll be honest, 90% of the inspections are done just to collect money. Vast majority of cars have no issues or don't develope issues until much later then previously. Scam shops though need to be cracked down on. Every station is required to have a poster of what to inspect, some just make things up. Emissions inspections need to go away, safety should be every 2-3 years. only after a vehicle is 10+ years old.

Offical record of mileage is nice if you have certain insurance policies dependent on low mileage or "paddock use" cars.

I flat out don't trust dealers, which is a problem because I've literally been putting off warranty work on the WL.
Emission inspections will never go away. I would expect them to be mandatory in all states all counties within next 5 years. Just be happy with most vehicles built since what 2005 all the emission inspection requires is a to see if there are any codes. Not like the bad old days with the probe up the tailpipe and your engine had to be at operating temp. Used to be fun getting the engine in my 78 Rabit up to operating temp w/its Oettinger head and screaming red line. Safety inspections I have no issue with cause I see lots of scary vehicles on the raod with VA tags. Going back to every 6mos might be a worth while change in the law. Folks are going to holding on to their vehicles a lot longer when gas hits 10 bucks a gallon this summer.

Dave Apker

I don't disagree with the idea of safety inspections if the process could be efficient and effective. However, you have to consider a couple other things. First, a government mandating that you purchase private services that are ill-controlled, completely non-standard and monitarily self-serving for the company is a horrible model. Second, they don't really ensure or affect any level of safety for the vehicles that really need to be paid attention to. We all know shops that are way gracious (thankfully) for many reasons. It's why we don't name them publicly. The cars that truly pass were already safe. Third goes with number two in that the real crap rigs and unsafe cars are just using fake or stolen stickers anyway. And fourth, the government really doesn't care about it (in VA at least) or they wouldn't have changed the law that disallows law enforcement the ability to stop drivers for expired stickers. Currently, dead inspections have to be four months out for it to be a primary offense that a driver can be stopped for.

I don't disagree with the idea of safety inspections if the process could be efficient and effective. However, you have to consider a couple other things. First, a government mandating that you purchase private services that are ill-controlled, completely non-standard and monitarily self-serving for the company is a horrible model. Second, they don't really ensure or affect any level of safety for the vehicles that really need to be paid attention to. We all know shops that are way gracious (thankfully) for many reasons. It's why we don't name them publicly. The cars that truly pass were already safe. Third goes with number two in that the real crap rigs and unsafe cars are just using fake or stolen stickers anyway. And fourth, the government really doesn't care about it (in VA at least) or they wouldn't have changed the law that disallows law enforcement the ability to stop drivers for expired stickers. Currently, dead inspections have to be four months out for it to be a primary offense that a driver can be stopped for.
Do we really want to go to Commonwealth of VA run safety inspection stations and have to deal with long lines and inept state employees whose first language ain't English? VA changed the law regarding it being a primary offense for politcal reasons since Commonwealth LE was using expired inspection stickers as a reason to harass minority drivers,women, and other groups.

Dave Apker

The only problem with the current system is that it doesn't provide enough income to a shop if they pass a vehicle. The time it takes to conduct a proper inspection. Lifting the vehicle, and pulling two wheels buy itself will take a minimum of twenty minutes and ties up a lift and a certified inspector...

This is why so many small shops have just gotten out of even having an inspection certification, You do inspections to bring in other work, and all the good shops already have all the work they need.

Probably not going to make me popular here, But I think the way to fix the state inspection system is to make it every two years, and the inspection costs about $250, Pass or fail. That way it's practical to have a private shop that does nothing else but inspections, and is actually not in the business of repairing anything.

I wasn't suggesting Commonwealth or government run inspections. I was more commenting on the lack of impact this mandate has on actual safety. These types of laws don't seem to actually be intended to address safety or they wouldn't be written/enforced so impotently. I wasn't suggesting ramping them up either. Unsafe junk will always find it's way down the roads of our beautiful Commonwealth. Burdening people who actually try to be safe and well maintained with two trips to a business that is trying to keep it's doors open by fixing cars over a DOT stamp on a lens cover or a burned out 194 bulb that turns into a $30 charge and loss of your work time isn't keeping you me or anyone else safer. I'll leave your dig at cops alone.

E="dave2002ti, post: 351279, member: 24144"]
Do we really want to go to Commonwealth of VA run safety inspection stations and have to deal with long lines and inept state employees whose first language ain't English? VA changed the law regarding it being a primary offense for politcal reasons since Commonwealth LE was using expired inspection stickers as a reason to harass minority drivers,women, and other groups.

Dave Apker
[/QUOTE]

I wasn't suggesting Commonwealth or government run inspections. I was more commenting on the lack of impact this mandate has on actual safety. These types of laws don't seem to actually be intended to address safety or they wouldn't be written/enforced so impotently. I wasn't suggesting ramping them up either. Unsafe junk will always find it's way down the roads of our beautiful Commonwealth. Burdening people who actually try to be safe and well maintained with two trips to a business that is trying to keep it's doors open by fixing cars over a DOT stamp on a lens cover or a burned out 194 bulb that turns into a $30 charge and loss of your work time isn't keeping you me or anyone else safer. I'll leave your dig at cops alone.

E="dave2002ti, post: 351279, member: 24144"]

Dave Apker
[/QUOTE]
You need to commute on I 95 and 495 in MD and see some POS out there. Back a couple years ago between the 270 spur and GA Ave there was this older model Taurus with different wheel sizes and different tire sizes bombing down the roller coaster part at 60mph+. I would prefer going back to every 6mos here in VA since folks are holding on to their vehicles longer. If the shops etc weren't making money at it here in VA they have the politcal power and lobbying funds to change the law. They haven't so it must be making them money. DWB is real here in NOVA.

Dave Apker

I will actually side with Dave on the inspections actually doing something. As stated, go into MD, even on the beltway, and the number of cars on the side of the road, broken down, increases a lot. When I visit Idaho, I see a big increase in the number of older vehicles on the road, many are trucks that look like they are about to fall apart. So having Inspections helps at least a little.

I was in full agreement with Rob (R3) until that price. Ouch. $250 for 20-30 minutes, no thanks. $50 max for me. My inspection station turns them over in 20 minutes, and trust me, he is thorough. He loved to fail my Scrambler ever year. Always found something, but he was right and I would fix it. I was not searching for a shop that would pass me when it shouldn’t.

If nothing else, it makes sure that cars with low brakes or questionable suspension are minimal on the roads.

I definitely want to know if something is wrong. But the stupid little stuff is what annoys me. And the things that are left to speculation.

I definitely want to know if something is wrong. But the stupid little stuff is what annoys me. And the things that are left to speculation.
What gets me is when the inspector interprets the rules wrong.

Last edited:
Ouch. $250 for 20-30 minutes, no thanks. $50 max for me. My inspection station turns them over in 20 minutes, and trust me, he is thorough. He loved to fail my Scrambler ever year. Always found something, but he was right and I would fix it. I was not searching for a shop that would pass me when it shouldn’t.
When I said $250, I'm thinking a much more thorough inspection than what is currently performed... 20 minutes is NOT much time, (Including time to get the vehicle on the lift and ready)

I'll bet your typical 'thorough' 20 minute inspection goes like this;

Start The vehicle, Honk the horn, drive it into the stall while listening for exhaust leaks, once in the stall, work all the lights and check mirrors setup around the stall for proper operation, shut vehicle off and get out, setup lift and raise vehicle, Grab each wheel and check if it's loose (Ball Joints, Bushings etc.) visually inspect tires for tread depth and extreme cupping or other unusual wear. Take off one front and one Rear wheel (Disk Rear). Check pad thickness, look in inspection holes on Drum, if there are none, Skip rear brakes, you aren't checking them in 20 minute. Examine underside of car for leaks, Don't investigate, you don't have time for that for $28 dollars, Tell the customer what's leaking, But not from where unless you expect them to have you repair it, (You don't count Dain, you've got a relationship with the inspector, I have one like that with mine too). Put wheels back on car and put it on the ground, Check e-brake before backing out of stall, Five more minutes too fill out the paperwork and sticker. Anyone who does a more thorough inspection for someone they don't know is EXPECTING to sell them some work...

Even at 20 Minutes, a shop is LOSING money on inspections. Average shop time is $2 a minute in this area, That's a $12 LOSS on a 20 minute inspection.

I'm thinking an hour of shop time is really required. I want there to be a thorough report saying what should be performed, and a timeline for what they expect to need done over the next two years to maintain the vehicle safely... Don't tell me I'm leaking power steering fluid and not tell me what to do about it.

I really believe the $250 fee would be needed to ensure the shop can maintain impartiality, and rely ONLY on inspections to stay afloat... that's also the reason I suggest a 2 year interval, $125 a year is not really that bad if there is a lot of value in the report for the customer while keeping the rest of us safe!

Last edited:
When I said $250, I'm thinking a much more thorough inspection than what is currently performed... 20 minutes is NOT much time, (Including time to get the vehicle on the lift and ready)

I'll bet your typical 'thorough' 20 minute inspection goes like this;

Start The vehicle, Honk the horn, drive it into the stall while listening for exhaust leaks, once in the stall, work all the lights and check mirrors setup around the stall for proper operation, shut vehicle off and get out, setup lift and raise vehicle, Grab each wheel and check if it's loose (Ball Joints, Bushings etc.) visually inspect tires for tread depth and extreme cupping or other unusual wear. Take off one front and one Rear wheel (Disk Rear). Check pad thickness, look in inspection holes on Drum, if there are none, Skip rear brakes, you aren't checking them in 20 minute. Examine underside of car for leaks, Don't investigate, you don't have time for that for $28 dollars, Tell the customer what's leaking, But not from where unless you expect them to have you repair it, (You don't count Dain, you've got a relationship with the inspector, I have one like that with mine too). Put wheels back on car and put it on the ground, Check e-brake before backing out of stall, Five more minutes too fill out the paperwork and sticker. Anyone who does a more thorough inspection for someone they don't know is EXPECTING to sell them some work...

Even at 20 Minutes, a shop is LOSING money on inspections. Average shop time is $2 a minute in this area, That's a $12 LOSS on a 20 minute inspection.

I'm thinking an hour of shop time is really required. I want there to be a thorough report saying what should be performed, and a timeline for what they expect to need done over the next two years to maintain the vehicle safely... Don't tell me I'm leaking power steering fluid and not tell me what to do about it.

I really believe the $250 fee would be needed to ensure the shop can maintain impartiality, and rely ONLY on inspections to stay afloat... that's also the reason I suggest a 2 year interval, $125 a year is not really that bad if there is a lot of value in the report for the customer while keeping the rest of us safe!
Ok. For a longer thorough inspection, I can see it. And yes, the stations are losing money on inspections, which is why they fly through them. Since I no longer have the impala, and have antique tags on the Scrambler and Willys, I no longer get the stern discussions with my buddy. He is actually very friendly with me now.

Last edited:
I like having state safety inspections. States without them tend to have a lot more junk break down, making traffic worse. That being said, I hope VSP will start cracking down on stations that are using unjustified failures as a money mill. In the last 6 weeks I've had 2 vehicles improperly failed. The first was a misunderstanding of the inspection requirements by the inspector and settled by the trooper in charge, but the second was a blatant lie about needing pads and rotors (i'd just changed them myself last year and measured them out with my caliper after failed inspection.) I can't begin to imagine how many people get ripped off this way. This is certainly not a reflection of how all inspectors operate, but it's becoming more and more prevalent in the Fairfax area.

I like having state safety inspections. States without them tend to have a lot more junk break down, making traffic worse. That being said, I hope VSP will start cracking down on stations that are using unjustified failures as a money mill. In the last 6 weeks I've had 2 vehicles improperly failed. The first was a misunderstanding of the inspection requirements by the inspector and settled by the trooper in charge, but the second was a blatant lie about needing pads and rotors (i'd just changed them myself last year and measured them out with my caliper after failed inspection.) I can't begin to imagine how many people get ripped off this way. This is certainly not a reflection of how all inspectors operate, but it's becoming more and more prevalent in the Fairfax area.
Its a failure of our public school system. The inspector cant convert mm's to 32nds ie 4mm is more than 2/32nds. Its that dang new math. Google is your friend

Dave Apker

Emission inspections will never go away. I would expect them to be mandatory in all states all counties within next 5 years. Just be happy with most vehicles built since what 2005 all the emission inspection requires is a to see if there are any codes. Not like the bad old days with the probe up the tailpipe and your engine had to be at operating temp. Used to be fun getting the engine in my 78 Rabit up to operating temp w/its Oettinger head and screaming red line. Safety inspections I have no issue with cause I see lots of scary vehicles on the raod with VA tags. Going back to every 6mos might be a worth while change in the law. Folks are going to holding on to their vehicles a lot longer when gas hits 10 bucks a gallon this summer.

Dave Apker

Negative ghostrider, the vast majority of the state doesn't even require emissions, it's mostly just the northern blue counties. Any OBDII vehicle from 96 on is a simple scan, which is funny because if you have an older vehicle many shops no longer have the equipment or have it in working order to do a proper test.

Even CA of all places is allowing extended intervals. Not sure of the exact details but its something like first 5 years is exempt, vehicles 5-7 years need it every X often, vehicles 8-10 alittle more etc and so forth.

I wouldn't say Jeep owners are the worst at safety inspections, I'd say the state laws are overly specific in some cases or too vague in others. By the strict letter of the law many OEM standard items such as LED headlights are illegal under VA inspection law.

Mechanics who drive beaters held together with used shoestring, those are the worst at inspection.

Back