Uwharrie Spring Break? April 9-12

Added to Calendar: 04-09-22, 04-10-22, 04-11-22, 04-12-22

CookieMonster

Member 2024
VA4WDA
I am taking my three sons down to Uwharrie for spring break. So this would be family friendly. I am curious if there any interest in joining?

Drive down Saturday, wheel Sunday and Monday.

I am sucker for jeep badges. So we would definitely hit Dickey Bell.

Speaking of badges, Gulches Off road park is nearby, but appears to only be open Friday-Sunday. It appears the whole park is a badge.

There are several campsites including a group camp ground, if anyone is interested. I am camping at Badin Lake Campground. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233911

Jeepers:
1: Cookie Monster(y)
2 Jeepin_Donnie(y)
3: TheoLP62(y)
4: itsalwayssunny(y)
5: midnightmudder(y)
6: ogre45(y)
7:

Mandatory gear:
1) First Aid Kit
2) Fire extinguisher
3) Comms. I use GMRS
4) Recovery gear. I'll have: winch, snatch block, tow strap, soft and hard shackles.
5) Spare tire and wheel or a way to repair a flat .

Sunday:
Time: 9am
Place: Art Lilley Campground / Falls Dam Trail Head Parking Lot
Trails (Easier day, and Jeep Badge)
  1. Falls Dam
  2. Dickey Bell
  3. Rocky Mount
  4. Saw Mill
  5. Slab Pile

Monday:
Time: 9am
Place: Cotton Place OHV Parking Area
Trails (Harder day)
  1. Daniel
  2. Rocky Mount
  3. Slab Pile
  4. Wolf Den
  5. Dutch John
PERMIT REQUIRED: There is a $5/day, or $30/season permit required to run these trails. Here is a list of places you can pick up your permit from: vendor list I plan on getting mine when I arrive Saturday at Eldorado Outpost.

List of all trails:
  • Dickey Bell TR 91 - Moderate - 3.5 mi
  • Daniel TR 390 - Most Difficult - 2.1 mi
  • Dutch John TR 90 - Difficult - 2.1mi
  • Falls Dam TR 96 - Easy - 2.8 mi
  • Rocky Mountain Loop TR 92 - Moderate - 2.8 mi
  • Sawmill TR 93 - Easy-Moderate - 1.0 mi
  • Slab Pile TR 79 - Easy - 1.2 mi
  • Wolf Den TR 89 - Easy 1.3 mi
uwharrie.jpg

IMG_1987.jpeg

Last edited:
We are in! Anyone else definitely in?? I will have my 2 and 4 year old girls with me. Oh, and the wife, haha.

I've been following this too. Working out a few details to see if it's possible for me and my 9 and 14 year old boys to make it. Should know in the next couple days.

Question for the group:

Do we want to hit Gulches off road park Sunday for another badge, then head over to Uwharrie to wheel Monday/Tuesday?
(this is my preference)

Or wheel Uwharrie Sunday Monday, and skip Gulches?

Gulches is only open Friday-Sunday year round. And the whole park is considered a Jeep Badge of honor. They have onsite camping, some of it is along a river.

I am bringing 3 sons, ages 5, 8, 11. My wife is unable to attend as she has other plans to assist a family member with a newborn baby.

Question for the group:

Do we want to hit Gulches off road park Sunday for another badge, then head over to Uwharrie to wheel Monday/Tuesday? (this is my preference)

Gulches is only open Friday-Sunday year round. And the whole park is considered a Jeep Badge of honor. They have onsite camping, some of it is along a river.

I am bringing 3 sons, ages 5, 8, 11. My wife is unable to attend as she has other plans to assist a family member with a newborn baby.
We're planning on renting a cabin Friday - Tuesday at Uwharrie so unfortunately we cannot do the Gulches. That would be too long of a day for our 2 year old. We were not planning on wheeling Tuesday.

Looking forward to this trip! Definitely looking forward to these trails:

Dickey Bell TR 91 - Moderate - 3.5 mi (gotta get that Badge of Honor!)
Daniel TR 390 - Most Difficult - 2.1 mi (I've watched many YouTube videos of this trail. Cannot wait to do this one!)
Dutch John TR 90 - Difficult - 2.1mi (I need to watch some videos of this trail.)

Question for the group:

Do we want to hit Gulches off road park Sunday for another badge, then head over to Uwharrie to wheel Monday/Tuesday? (this is my preference)

Okay, so the plan is to drive down Saturday, and wheel Sunday and Monday.

We will probably hit Dickey Bell first thing Sunday, and save the hardest, Daniel for Monday (in case of breakages).

Is anyone else camping? There are a couple group camp grounds, that had availability last I checked. Otherwise I'll just book a nice single spot.

Okay, so the plan is to drive down Saturday, and wheel Sunday and Monday.

We will probably hit Dickey Bell first thing Sunday, and save the hardest, Daniel for Monday (in case of breakages).

Is anyone else camping? There are a couple group camp grounds, that had availability last I checked. Otherwise I'll just book a nice single spot.
We rented a lake house that's about 7 miles away. We're driving down on Friday so we can enjoy the lake Friday/Saturday and check out some local attractions.

Was originally looking at camping, but wound up renting a cottage nearby at a lake so my wife would be enticed into coming with. We are gonna head down on Friday, but will probably arrive late and are gonna head home on Wednesday. I see the main plan is to wheel Sunday and Monday. We are gonna try to do some general exploring maybe a little fishing or something like that the other days we are there. It's ashame that other park doesn't have some other open days so we could hit a little of all of it. Should be a good time either way.

I booked a campsite at the Badin Campground, there is still one left, if anyone else is camping. Flush toilets and showers.

There are several more available nearby at Arrowhead Campground.

I've been watching YouTube videos and cannot determine why Dutch John is rated "Difficult"? Daniel is going to be a lot of fun! Parts of that trail are legit!

I've been watching YouTube videos and cannot determine why Dutch John is rated "Difficult"? Daniel is going to be a lot of fun! Parts of that trail are legit!
I was just there last year....not sure I remember any obstacles on Dutch John (think Peters Mill). Dickey Bell was fun, but as mentioned above, Daniel is the real challenging trail (depending which line you take). there are several options from tough to "holy cow".

This was the view looking back from the top of Daniel:

JJamboree2.jpg

I was just there last year....not sure I remember any obstacles on Dutch John (think Peters Mill). Dickey Bell was fun, but as mentioned above, Daniel is the real challenging trail (depending which line you take). there are several options from tough to "holy cow".
YouTubers Off Road N Chill take the "holy cow" lines! Hahahahaha

Yeah, the guys I went with were pretty evenly split. The Jeep in the photo is the end of the holy cow/gatekeeper. The others are going the middle trail, which is middle difficulty. The far right is the easiest, and I dont think anyone went that way.

Yeah, the guys I went with were pretty evenly split. The Jeep in the photo is the end of the holy cow/gatekeeper. The others are going the middle trail, which is middle difficulty. The far right is the easiest, and I dont think anyone went that way.
@Nacho Did you make it up the gatekeeper/wall on Daniel?

Back