TJ Heat Soak/ Vapor Lock Issue

AllyCat

Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
I replaced the engine in my 2002 TJ a couple years ago and since then, the heat soak issue has gotten horrible. I installed the heat shield kit and that didn't help. I recently installed the hood vent and that doesn't seem to help either if it is over 80 degrees outside. Anyone have any other suggestions of what I can do?

2002 TJ

Not sure which heat shield kit you used.. if these dont work, maybe check your injectors themselves...

theres this also:

Does it only have this issue when you stop, turn off the engine, then go back after a short amount of time?

Does it only have this issue when you stop, turn off the engine, then go back after a short amount of time?
Yes, anytime I shut it off for a few minutes up to around 30 minutes. It's the usual vapor lock symptoms, but on the original engine it only happened on the really hot days. Now it happens all the time.

2002 TJ

Not sure which heat shield kit you used.. if these dont work, maybe check your injectors themselves...

theres this also:

It is the DEi kit, and I put in new injectors with the motor swap.

2002 TJ

Yes, anytime I shut it off for a few minutes up to around 30 minutes. It's the usual vapor lock symptoms, but on the original engine it only happened on the really hot days. Now it happens all the time.

2002 TJ
Hmmm. That's interesting.

I will have to think on what might be causing it but I do have an idea for a solution.

I saw a few years back, a guy on YouTube had the same problem. He had hood vents but it just wasnt enough. So he bought two electric fans, mounted them on the bottom side of the hood and used a thermostatic controller to operate them. If the underhood temp was too high when he shut it off, the fans would run to help pull out the hot air then they would shut off once the temp got below the preset temp.

I can look for the video if it is something you might be interested in.

Does 2002 use a return line for the fuel or not? Did you have it before the swap and now don’t have a return?

Back