Thank You for Your Service

Damtall

Member 2024
As someone who was never in the military (talked to Air Force and Navy recruiters my senior year in High School; told I was too tall 6'9 for both), I always appreciate people who have served, whether in combat or not, and put themselves in harms way for me, my loved ones and everyone else! Speaking to the veterans and current military personnel, do you guys get tired or annoyed when you hear someone say "thank you for your service" or "thank you for your sacrifice?" I want to say it, but not sure how people take it. Thanks for your honesty! And your service! :)

As someone who was never in the military (talked to Air Force and Navy recruiters my senior year in High School; told I was too tall 6'9 for both), I always appreciate people who have served, whether in combat or not, and put themselves in harms way for me, my loved ones and everyone else! Speaking to the veterans and current military personnel, do you guys get tired or annoyed when you hear someone say "thank you for your service" or "thank you for your sacrifice?" I want to say it, but not sure how people take it. Thanks for your honesty! And your service! :)
Wow, I had no idea theere was an over all "Too tall" for joing the AF or Army.. I could see it as a restriction on what career feild once in, but surprised it's just flat out can't join.

The hardest part of the "Thank yous" for me is knowing how to respond. When I get it in the Lowes check out, I usually just say "It was my pleasure". But really if I can tell it was a sincere thank you verses something a corporation has told them to say, It always feels like I should say more than that, and feels a bit awkward.

Definitely not annoyed, but like Zuke...sometimes it can sometimes be a little awkward knowing how to respond. I always appreciate people taking the time to show some appreciation and especially from kids.

Probably my proudest life accomplishment (outside my kids) was putting on that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor for the first time at the end of boot camp.

Both of my kids kinda don't like the attention when they get thanked. Neither of them did any combat or dangerous tours so feel more like it was/is a job than a sacrifice they made. I think it's mostly because they were young when they joined so don't know anything else in their lives. People like us who have been in the real and understand what the service they have/are doing provides appreciates it more.

I will say this, I must be either an awesome or horrible stepdad because one came out of Parris Island and the other Fort Jackson both saying boot camp was a breeze. My marine wasn't able to call home 2 times because he started a fight club in the barracks during rack time.

When I come across a vet it is usually just a nod and a side smile that usually gets my message of thanks across. It opens the door for them to start a conversation if desired and doesn't require a response.

Ummn

i usually just say "Cheers" or "Thank You, it is appreciated."

usually the thanks are said when showing ID or the discount at Lowes/Home Depot or even other stores. those are ALL Corporate mandated. really, this was not the case until after 9/11. even with the gulf war, there was not this level of "patriotism" for those who served. to me, i see a lot of none sincere auto responses. this is my opinion only but i find it kind of annoying most of the time. in the last few months, both Lowes and Home Depot have been requiring to show ID after you give them the # or app code and this is after you have already verified your service.

anyways, genuine appreciation is always welcome. fake responses not so much.

I view my years of service to this country as a duty and a honor to serve with my brothers and sisters who chose to be part of something greater.
I had uncles that were welcomed home with open arms after WWII and a brother who was spit on after Viet Nam. Desert Storm no body knew that I was there. I was in the USCG reserves deployed to NYC September 11th, for a couple months people loved us and went out of their way to thank us for being there, by December we were interupting their life and they wanted us gone.....

Today the "thing to do" is to thank a vet for their service. Most of the time when I hear this it is far less then genuine. Most folks do give it much thought or have much of a clue what the military folks go through in service to their country. if they understood the thank you might be much more genuine.

For me, when I see a Vet, I extend a welcoming hand shake and thank them for "standing the watch" an instant connection between military brothers and sisters.

My response is the same as Bill's It is an honor to serve. When asked Are you still in, you look a bit old? I tell them "my oath of enlistment has no exiration."

Last edited:
I too respond that it was an honor, however like mentioned by others, I would rather hear nothing before hearing a corporate-forced 'thank you'. I am and always have been very reserved about my exploits. Not that they weren't thrilling/terrifying/satisfying but because many of the memories I choose to keep private. I do go out of my way however to help those considering service get a real world understanding of military life, especially in spec-ops since too many have a rose-colored view of what to expect.
To all the other vets here, thank you for your sacrifices.

I currently respond, "Thanks for the free ammo." Time for me to go walk the battlefields again. We have a whole cemetery filled with unmarked Union graves from the Civil War. While working at Hickam, I could count the bullet holes in the staircase leading to my office. Very humbling... not so much a "service" considering what other Americans sacrificed before me.

Because I was not in battle in the Army I feel much more comfortable giving appreciation than getting appreciation. As a previous first responder police officer I am much happier to say you are welcome. Certainly very thankful to all that have served in any capacity!

We answered the call.

We raised our right hands and pleadged to protect and defend and wrote a blank check up to and including our last breathe.

We all have stories to tell, some good.... some not so.

In the end, some cashed that check, we carry that with each of us.

We are stronger for the time spent being part of something greater than ones self.

We are the first to jump in and the last to leave.

When things get crazy we calmly go to work and do what has to be done.

We have each others backs...

We still stand the watch...

As someone who was never in any of the military services but have come to know just a little bit of the price that is paid, it just feels totally inadequate to just say thank you for your service. Especially with it being seemingly the latest fad thing to do lately. I just feel awkward saying it to someone because I don't think it conveys how sincerely I am thankful and grateful that someone served and that I didn't have to.
Is there something more or better that can be said?

Mike,
This thread has got me thinking about this topic. We Veterans present and past get recognized twice a year with national holidays. Memorial day for all those who can't be with us and Veteran's Day for all those who are. While recognition is nice it looses the meaning when not sincere. It is nice that big box companies acknowledge our service and provide for a small discount but an obligatory "Thank you" is not required. I would love to see memorial day and veterans day parades come back. I realize there are a few towns that take the time to put these on but many do not.

I am not special, I am flawed and I do love my country and try to do the right thing. I chose a path that many did not. This made me who I am today.
The greatest generation stepped up and chose to defend freedom around the world. They came back changed men. There is something to be said for obligating service to the military as a young man or woman puts priorities in prospective as we grow. Nobody thanked my uncles for what they went through in WWII, but they proudly wore a unit cap or uniform each memorial day and veteran's day in the parade. That was enough for them.

Many vets today carry the horrors of war with them. Many battle these demons everyday. Some loose that battle. As a military man I really just want to be part of the life I had. I look at that life very differently now. I am proud of the path I chose and carry my own demons with me as do others. Thank you for your service , is just another reminder of what I and others carry each day as evident by this thread invoking emotions in at least a couple of us.

We are the same as you Big Mike, just took a different path to get there. Thank you for caring enough to bring this subject up.

Rob.

Last edited:
I served in during GW1, but in a totally stateside capacity, where the only danger I ever faced was getting a sunburn doing a post-air show FOD walk down of the flight line and infield. I‘m reluctant to even call myself a “Veteran“, because in my mind, that’s a term for folks who went downrange and faced *real* danger. I’ll say I’m “former military“ or “prior service”, but I don’t call myself a Veteran.

On the occasions where someone has said that to me, I just demurely tell them no need to thank me - but please thank the next 35 year old guy with the titanium leg they meet twice for his service.

I served in during GW1, but in a totally stateside capacity, where the only danger I ever faced was getting a sunburn doing a post-air show FOD walk down of the flight line and infield. I‘m reluctant to even call myself a “Veteran“, because in my mind, that’s a term for folks who went downrange and faced *real* danger. I’ll say I’m “former military“ or “prior service”, but I don’t call myself a Veteran.

On the occasions where someone has said that to me, I just demurely tell them no need to thank me - but please thank the next 35 year old guy with the titanium leg they meet twice for his service.
I've done a few of those FOD walks as well. In the dead of summer in the God awful Omaha Nebraska humidity. That was hazardous duty in itself :ROFLMAO:

This is exactly how I feel. You have stated it more eloquently than I did, very well said! I agree 100%!

I don't claim "Veteran" status, either. I still serve our country but I retired from the military in '02 after blowing out my 4th lumbar disc. 6 years in the Navy as an MM2 and 16 years with the USAFR ending as a T3P091. Almost everyone that has worn a US military uniform has "served" and made personal sacrifices that are difficult for others to understand, all done to preserve an elusive freedom first captured by patriots in the US Constitution.

Back