Suggestions for Air compressors for tires?

Oakton Bubba

Member 2024
Any suggestions for air compressors, experiences? I've been looking at the ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor Kit, but it is so darn expensive. It would be nice to have something else that would work well with 35 inch tires and inflate in a reasonable time.

I had the ARB single on my JK with 35’s and it worked well. Cost would be a little cheaper, but also a little slower as far as air up time.

Theres a knock off brand of the ARB twin compressor now thats a little cheaper but i dont know what you get with it
No experience with it though.

I started with this one before i got the arb twin and use it now as a backup which it still gets used some times. Fills my 35's up quick enough.
the plus is the storage case. the con is i think its a little over priced for what it is. i dont think i payed as much as it is now but i dont remember since its been several years since i bought it. totally happy with it though.

Last edited:
Any suggestions for air compressors, experiences? I've been looking at the ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor Kit, but it is so darn expensive. It would be nice to have something else that would work well with 35 inch tires and inflate in a reasonable time.
Understanding the budget aspect, you get what you pay for in most cases. I have seen a variety of air compressor systems all with their merits.

- Something to look for is duty cycle. In short how long can you run the thing before it needs to cool down.
- Space, how much space will this take up?
- How often will I use it? this is where a system like power tank shines. simple tank of compressed airor CO2. It will need to be mounted and periodicly refilled
- Vehicle mounted, many mount under the hood which reduces equipment life and increases periodic maintence . Face it it is dirty under there and that is where you are sucking the air to compress.

ARB is indeed the top of the line. two compressors version is better that a single in the way of duty cycle, I have had one installed on Red Jeep for 5 years now with no issues. Their support is very good as well. Had some issues with the fridge and they sent parts within a day or two.

Mounting a vehicle pump. recommend a in cabin mount, under the passenger seat, or as soem of the JL guys has un the rear storage compartment.

Tank systems ( read power tank) require space but a stupid simple to install and operate. Down side is you have to remember to fill it up.

My approach is and has always been buy the best your budget can afford. Best is nto always the most expensive but in this instance price seems to follow quality. Anothe rpoint to consider is how often are you usng this system? if it is just a one trail day a month or two then portabel units on lessor cost fit the bill much better that a top of the line system. Harbor freight style remote pumps might be the ideal.

Yes this give you more question to answer but the answers will be more tailored to your needs

Cheers

I have the single ARB and it suits me just fine with my 35s. If there is any thought in your head about upgrading tire size and you do plan on going ARB, just get the twin compressor. Buy once, cry once. Powertanks are nice but expensive and you have to remember/pay to fill it (the gift that keeps on taking) when needed.

-Clayton

We run the dual ARB compressor for the JL 40s and a single air compressor on the XJ 35s. Both vehicles fill up in about the same time. I agree with the others that the single ARB unit is likely ok with 35s but would struggle with anything larger.

I got lucky and found a Viair 450p-rv on craigslist. I like having it be portable and the RV option supports up to 42" tires and has an extra hose extension that I was able to easily get to all 4 tires with. RV owners may not realize how how much these are worth in the aftermarket.

I have a ViAir 450p and two power tanks, it all depends on where I'm going and what I am doing. I will probably stop using the 450p in the future and put on a dual ARB, but that wont stop me from still carrying one of the power tanks.

If you want send me a DM and we can discuss some options and price points as well. I can order about anything you see on the market.

I finally got an ARB Twin Comp, now looking at where to install it. I do have a American Adventure Lab storage area bracket with a battery installed, but really wanted to use the ARB area for the Redarc controller for my solar panel. Definitely not going to install under the hood

I finally got an ARB Twin Comp, now looking at where to install it. I do have a American Adventure Lab storage area bracket with a battery installed, but really wanted to use the ARB area for the Redarc controller for my solar panel. Definitely not going to install under the hood
There are brackets for under the front passenger seat for the 4 door. Can't remember if you have a 2 or 4 door.

The Viair 450p works great for 35s and wasn't bad for 37s either. I sold mine when I upgraded to the ARB dual air compressor.

I installed mine in the "trunk" on the driver side wall using the M.O.R.E. bracket. I had to purchase a wiring kit to extend the wires to the battery. Let me know if you want the link. I can look it up.

I finally got an ARB Twin Comp, now looking at where to install it. I do have an American Adventure Lab storage area bracket with a battery installed, but really wanted to use the ARB area for the Redarc controller for my solar panel. Definitely not going to install under the hood
Don’t discount the under hood mount. Mine has been under the hood of one of my vehicles since 2016 with zero problems or issues. I like the fact that it’s out of the way and the noise stays outside.

I just got an ARB dual, and I plan on using the grimm offroad mount to put it under the master cylinder. As I always have passengers (sometimes sleeping), noise was a big reason why I chose the engine bay. I plan on opening up the hood vent to allow heat to escape. Eventually I will also plumb the airline to come out a dummy 4xe charge port and activate with one of my aux switches.

Northridge 4x4 is having a 15% sale on ARB products that ends Friday June 30.

Back