RRR

Happy to have an extra hand Saturday. 6489 Mill Flats Lane king George va

Busy day today. Heads came off this morning. Yup the second cylinder back on the passenger side had a blow out nice clean cylinder ..

New gaskets on ARP head bolts installed...that should hold for a while

New timing chains and gears installed ..that is fun aligning chains on timing marks for three chains 😧. Oil pump drive has the fourth chain and one timing mark for???? It's an oil pump......

Front cover is on, water pump and ready for the accessories.

Tomorrow.....yes day three
Finish it up valve covers and plumbing along with wiring. New fuel injectors then the intake.

After that... Engine sounds?.

Busy day today. Heads came off this morning. Yup the second cylinder back on the passenger side had a blow out nice clean cylinder ..

New gaskets on ARP head bolts installed...that should hold for a while

New timing chains and gears installed ..that is fun aligning chains on timing marks for three chains 😧. Oil pump drive has the fourth chain and one timing mark for???? It's an oil pump......

Front cover is on, water pump and ready for the accessories.

Tomorrow.....yes day three
Finish it up valve covers and plumbing along with wiring. New fuel injectors then the intake.

After that... Engine sounds?.
You are making awesome progress, keep it up!

I'm not terribly familiar with the Pentastar but some motors have interplay between the oil pump and balance shaft, or timing and VVT. You sure there's not a reason for the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket?

I've never pulled a 3.6 down to its innards, so adjust the grains of salt accordingly. 60° motors tend to get away with no balance shafts, but I'd hate you to get everything bolted back up and have an oh fack moment.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Pentastar but some motors have interplay between the oil pump and balance shaft, or timing and VVT. You sure there's not a reason for the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket?

I've never pulled a 3.6 down to its innards, so adjust the grains of salt accordingly. 60° motors tend to get away with no balance shafts, but I'd hate you to get everything bolted back up and have an oh fack moment.
Figured out the puzzle... tomorrow will tell

Clean up day Sunday. Motor noises today. Special thanks to Rattletrap55 for all the help and a second pair of eyes. Need to tighten a few things and put a new belt on and the Red Jeep should be ready for a road test.

Do this all over again? Short answer is no. There is an elegant simplicity to American V8s. I can say that yes we did conquer the fancy DOCH motor.

To do head gaskets and cam chain you have to strip the motor to a short block. And then put it all back again. Not bad work for a couple senior guys.

Chasing gremlins today. P0000 code cleared...P0016 cleared and came back with a P0017...and a hard restart...

Thinking sensor connection or sensor in bank 1

So some on line research today
P0000B = Cam B slow response
P0016 = Cam shaft to Crankshaft position incorrect
P0017 = Cam position sensor

These are the easy to replace parts. Also learned that these sensors fail due to high heat...... Advanced Auto on the way home....

Hard start is the crank sensor.... learned that today. starting with the crank sensor and associated wiring. Next the cam position sensor and associated wiring.

Round two... New heads coming. Buy a Jeep they said..... Yes I am having fun doing some real wrenching again..... just wish it wasn't so damn tall... ( not really) Should have closely inspected the heads when removed on day two. Aluminumumumumum heads NEED to be checked to make sure they are FLAT. if not head gaskets will allow water into places water is not allowed to be...

No worries I will get it lined out. Saturday starts tear down. Good news I know how to do it now... Oh yeah that suspension upgrade still waiting on King to Deliver, I understand the Cali is a bit under water or snow or both.... lots of work on the ole Red Jeep this year.

That sucks. Those new heads really eat into your LS budget. Lol

Sorry. I couldn’t help myself.

• Haha
Reactions: R3
That sucks. Those new heads really eat into your LS budget. Lol

Sorry. I couldn’t help myself.
Sucks, yes... heads are cheap compared to a full on motor. Looking for a tow rig next year if that happens then no need for V8 power. If not then Gen V 5.3 here we come.

Bummer to hear about the bad heads 😔 at least it is not in the middle of wheeling season

Bummer to hear about the bad heads 😔 at least it is not in the middle of wheeling season
There is a season for wheeling??? Having withdrawals from not being on the trails...hoping to be lined out for the Dakota Challenge....

Makes no sense to.upgrade a piece and not the whole. Plus no one is making hot rod 3.6 motors that are comparable in cost to an aluminum LS/LT. Goal here is to get the rig back on the road. Looking at tow rigs buy or build. If there is a tow rig in place next year no need to add two cylinders.

Makes no sense to.upgrade a piece and not the whole. Plus no one is making hot rod 3.6 motors that are comparable in cost to an aluminum LS/LT. Goal here is to get the rig back on the road. Looking at tow rigs buy or build. If there is a tow rig in place next year no need to add two cylinders.
Makes sense. I’m intrigued by the tow rig.

Back