RRR

I am looking to get new mud terrains. Considering the Coopers. I have always had BFG ATs. But willing to switch brands for a cood grippy MT tire.

And glad to see things are really good with the rig Rob.
If you like the coopers, also give a look at the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT. Same internal structure as the stt pro (cooper owns and makes mickeys), slightly different tread pattern. My buddy has them, and they did well on the rubicon trail. Slightly taller than the bfg, visually a bit wider too. A bit stiffer sidewall, but still had decent tire wrap around the rocks when aired down.

Little before before and current..... just 5 years old now... my how they grow fast...

Attachments

• orca-image-1511195719981.jpg_1511195720036.jpeg
    orca-image-1511195719981.jpg_1511195720036.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 61
  • red jeep 2 0 .jpg
    red jeep 2 0 .jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
Instead of an LS or a Diesel.......

Hurricane I-6

Bad butt motor, But it'll be years before anyone figures out how to transplant one... Stellantis (And Chrysler before them) is way more secretive about it's programming then other big manufacturers...

Last edited:
Reactions: R3
It is always a good day when you can be on the trail with friends... Especially when you break something bad. So it looks like another drag link... You might remember the 44 drag link end that failed this last year, here is a new issue. The steering geer than I got with my axles had a failed weld at the bung.... Looking at the tube DOM it is a very clean break too clean save for one bit that actually welded the tube to the bung...about a 1/4 inch spot. I am glad it failed on the trail and not a 65 mph.

Thank you @RattleTrap55 @spnkzyj and his brother we managed to cross tie the front end and tow it to Garners trailer. Was thinking of hitting up Bernie at Rausch and weld it, but the tie rod was done at the same time .. suspect? Hell yes.

This is why I do most of my own work. I don't accept sorry we can fix that, or it should have never left the shop etc, etc. If this drag link let go on the highway ... I would not be here to write this...

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_151826249.jpg
    IMG_20221111_151826249.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20221111_151831885.jpg
    IMG_20221111_151831885.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20221111_151839183.jpg
    IMG_20221111_151839183.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 66
You are having the worst luck with those drag links. The break totally looks like a bad weld. While it would not fix a bad weld, what are your thoughts on hydro assist? Would likely reduce the stresses on the link in general.

Hydro assist is on the list... Latest quote for box and ram was $2k....ouch. I could send the box back but there is a 12 week turn around...

The big issue this go round was the bad workmanship. Thin wall tubing and bad weld. This was going to come apart the question was when. I am just so thankful it was on the trail and not the interstate.

Tie rod sleeve is coming off too. I can trust those welds after see the drag link fail. WOD send me a tie rod and drag link sleeve. I am hoping to have that on this coming week.

Trans swap is coming up after the holidays.... So $$ are allotted for that first. Once that is sorted then I will revisit the steering.

Since it was raining no one got any video of the run up Barnet Rubble at AoAA....I was quite happy with the performance right up to the part where the tube parted company.

Rattletrap55 and I were discussing the failure over dinner....neither of us were overjoyed with the thin wall tubing or the way it failed at the weld joint. It was almost as if the welder did not clean the milscale off before welding and the weld was too cold. Workmanship something people used to be proud of..... This one fell short by a football field

Close up of the offending parts. Sure isn't 1/4 DOM tube..... WOD will be getting an order in the AM.

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_134707289.jpg
    IMG_20221112_134707289.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20221112_134712744.jpg
    IMG_20221112_134712744.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20221112_134715495.jpg
    IMG_20221112_134715495.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20221112_134717786.jpg
    IMG_20221112_134717786.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20221112_134703056.jpg
    IMG_20221112_134703056.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
That's some crap there... Very disappointing.

I've been using WOD for everything the last year, Hard to beat their prices on custom aluminum links, and they're quick too...

• Sad
Reactions: R3
All steel has chromolly..... This is a soft steel hence the end bell mouthing.... Not sure why a tie rod would be 0.250 wall and drag link would be 0.120 wall....

7075 aluminum is going in...this crap is coming off and put in the scrap pile.

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_163721747.jpg
    IMG_20221112_163721747.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
We were just trying to figure why they thought that was ok. There must be some reason. We were thinking chromoly from the stance of a drag car cage, but so brittle.

Only other thing we could come up with was your outer diameter is 1.5” due to space restrictions. Going with a smaller ID gives you a beefier rod end.

Regardless, it was just a bad weld, I’m just trying to understand why they thought thin wall like that was ok.

Will find out monday

Can't imagine ECGS wouldn't make good on that

That said, hard to believe they'd even have the stones to send that out the door

Can't imagine ECGS wouldn't make good on that

That said, hard to believe they'd even have the stones to send that out the door
WOD get the order for drag link and tie rod...

What bothers me is how many more are out there......

2.0 inch OD aluminum links ordered. To ECGS credit they are footing the bill.

2.0 inch OD aluminum links ordered. To ECGS credit they are footing the bill.

That is good of them!, While the whole fiasco with ECGS on this has been a mess, They have stepped up when the problems (That shouldn't have occurred) Occurred... But that's like buying lifetime warranty electrical at a parts store.... You can get a free replacement alternator when it fails, but wouldn't you rather it just didn't fail?

That is good of them!, While the whole fiasco with ECGS on this has been a mess, They have stepped up when the problems (That shouldn't have occurred) Occurred... But that's like buying lifetime warranty electrical at a parts store.... You can get a free replacement alternator when it fails, but wouldn't you rather it just didn't fail?
Stuff happens and no shop gets it right all the time. This said, some failures can lead to fatalities. Pride in workmanship is seriously lacking in todays society and the simple "we'll fix that no cost" or "that should have left the shop" replies are at least accepting that there is a problem they are just excuses for poor craftsmanship and lack of pride in their work. Getting it right the first time should be the standard not a goal.......

Shop chief in ECGS is taking this seriously and looking to correct the problem as their A$$ is on the line here. Change doesn't happen until the stakes get high enough I just hope nobody has to expire to achieve that change.

So had a long chat with Filthy motorsports...the largest king shock distributor in the country....

Next step for the Red Jeep is some new shocks... question is 2.5 or 3.0?

Rear will be frenched in 14 inch travel
Fronts will remain 12 inch travel due to suspension limitations.

Need to stop hanging with @Galactica

Back