RRR

@R3 I am off that weekend. I took off for the jeep invasion in pigeon forge but canceled my reservations since my jeep isn’t 100%. I will definitely make a ride to help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: R3
I have it on the calendar, before heading to Rauch I for sure need to get the sliders fabricated and installed!

Hot and flipping humid... I should do these projects

So the Rockhard sport cage went in today with help from Rattletrap55.

As per the directions...had to gring on the cast dash mount on both sides. Note to those who look at installing one of these the drill template leaves something to be desired. Outside of that it took a whole day to install with two sets of hands.
Did a few modifications to install comms equipment. UHF/VHF switch is now hidden in the center bar. Radio will be hung on the forward end of the center bar tomorrow. This cleans up the center console and leaves better access to comms.

Harness bar gets installed tomorrow and a set of PRP 4.2 later this coming week.

Few more loose ends and the Red Jeep 2.0 is ready for the trails.

Looking forward to the September Jeep meeting.

Attachments

• IMG_20220827_085620242_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220827_085620242_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220827_092004282_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220827_092004282_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220827_155151648_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220827_155151648_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20220827_155155260_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220827_155155260_HDR.jpg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 80
On a new Jeep like yours, is it in addition to the sport cage already there or do you replace any of the existing bars?

On a new Jeep like yours, is it in addition to the sport cage already there or do you replace any of the existing bars?
So on the jk there is really nothing at the A pillar but the windshield frame. Rockhard adds A pillars, 2 cross bars one above and one at the dash and a upper bar between the top bar and the OEM B pillar.

The harness bar behind the front seats add rigidity to the B pillar.

So yes additional support

Lots of work done this part weekend. The road kill list is finially down to a couple minor things.

Front spring perch and the track bar mount were fighting for the same sapce.... plasma cutter to the rescue little nip and tuck and now the two can play nice.

During that argument the wheel speed sensor did not have enough sense to stay out of harms way.... yup cleaved the line clean.... ESCG sent a new one within a day.

Biggerer tires require more clearance in the rear. The factory archs were a tad too tight. Adjusted the lower corners with the death wheel and added a little paint to keep the rust at bay.

PRP was nice enough to send me a couple 4 point harnesses...( actually had to pay for them thru Amazon) the install went well. I like the straighforward install on the drive's side. The passenger has this contraption ( assuming it is for the air bag deployment). The seat belt wires are easy just tie them together . the other two wires..... right now they are cut. Yeah no air bag deployment but I have a dash light..... the research goes on.

Rebuilt the rear shock mounts a weekend or two ago.... the Jeep sits like it should not and still futzing with N2 pressures to ge the ride right again. Thinking with the angle change I might have to up the lower rate 50#.

Comms are mounted and the AB switch is neatly tucked in the overhead bars.

Moto bilt lights are installed and antenna wiring routed neatly...

All that is left is run this thing on the trails.... and install a Aluminum tie rod link....

And the best part is it passed inspection.... ( before the 4 point harnesses went in.)

Wow. Your rig has changed a lit since I last saw it. A completely different Jeep. Looking forward to seeing it.

Is there a problem with passing i spection with the harnesses?

Inspection Nazis state that the OEM restrains must be in place and functional to pass. i used the same anchor point for my harness and removed the OEM bits.

Red Jeep 2.0 is a bit of a change from the last. With new axles , tires and sport cage it really is a new rig. January We install the 850RE trans and see how that helps performance. 2 extra working gears and a double OD might work out well. I am hoping that the close set ratios and extra working gears will help performance. In the end the little 220cid motor has what it has for power.

Next step? Forced induction for street performance or find a gen4/5 5.3 motor. The blower is far cheaper than adding extra cylinders...

How will you control the 850RE? Anything newer than TJs are not my specialty so would be nice to learn how you'll integrate electronics.

Will you be keeping it street legal? Don't know if you live in an emissions county, the 5.3 swap mentioning makes it seem not, but if so would also be interested in the plan to maintain compliance. Either way, seems a super or pro charger would be preferred over turbo if you keep the current mill.

The trans swap is a simple blot in and hook up 5 wires. The control will be thru a programmed PCS stand alone controller.

Street legal yes. I have no plans to buy a tow pig and trailer. The goal has always been to be street legal.

In king George I have to have working lights and seat belts....oh yeah the wheels have to stay on...so no issues with stupid crap.

Spent a bunch of time researching the swap, lots of info out there most crap. Dakota customs was a great lead I got from Kevin and Sarah...bought a harness and a PCS control module ( computer) had it programmed but a gent recommend by PCS.... Awaiting January to install

Big deal with newer jeeps is CanBus. Tapping the bus change the resistance....this causes a calibration issue. If you tap the click spring CanBus circuit ...no issue as it calibrates each time the rig is powered up...

Hoping for a painless install in January....feel free to drop in.

I'm topically familiar with CANBus, electro nannies, TIPM, etc of the JK and newer. I realize you could have a standalone trans controller, didn't realize you could disconnect the factory one and not have associated issues with the associated module interfaces.

Glad to hear you don't have to worry about emissions, opens up a lot more possibilities for fun while keeping it legal.

I'm topically familiar with CANBus, electro nannies, TIPM, etc of the JK and newer. I realize you could have a standalone trans controller, didn't realize you could disconnect the factory one and not have associated issues with the associated module interfaces.

Glad to hear you don't have to worry about emissions, opens up a lot more possibilities for fun while keeping it legal.
He's cheating by starting with a Manual Tranny jeep... Really simplifies the part about what you take out needing removed from the programming...

He's cheating by starting with a Manual Tranny jeep... Really simplifies the part about what you take out needing removed from the programming...
Ooohhhh... That makes more sense. I had heard Jeep speed shop came out with a DIY harness for dropping the ZF8HP70 into an auto JK (requiring about 10 different factory modules to be purchased) but was a little confused by the decision to go 850re.

Last edited:
Ooohhhh... That makes more sense. I had heard Jeep speed shop came out with a DIY harness for dropping the ZF8HP70 into a JK (requiring about 10 different factory modules to be purchased) but was a little confused by the decision to go 850re.
Jeep speed shop..... Yes they have modified jku's to accept 8 speed transmission and yes they have made them work. Jku auto the trans controller comes out. Standalone controller get wired in. Big deal is the shifter... 8hp70 uses the charger shifter. Where are how the wiring is connected is important. I have a list from JSS of components required...I do not remember any oem modules required.

Dakota customs does make them work and was happy to chat with me on how that can be done.

The 850 uses a different update rate for the JL CanBus. Therefore requires the jl shifter. Interface is a custom programmed PCS computer and custom wiring harness.

And yes .. no TCM as the Red Jeep is a manual trans. With the stand alone controller the trans get the signals it needs and the jeep still thinks it is a manual.

Shake down run in the books.
- Big tires and a manual transmission = no power to climb hills on the interstate. Even with 5.38 gearing long big interstate hills are challenging. Looking at the 8 speed swap after the holidays
- 40 inch tires on the street. Side wall flex is interesting when tossing the rig into a corner, OK i know it is not a race car but the road manners have changed a bit.
- Off road, the larger diameter tires really smooth the ride out. challenges that required more effort are now much easier. The extra ground clearance helped but still banged the diffs more than once this trip. I found that 8 PSI was good for the rocks and still allowed for the large diameter to work well. Foot print was huge at 8psi, and contributed to making short work of ledges and rocks.
- ARB lockers worked flawlessly. Quick positive engagement and just a little delay unlocking. Much better than the OEM Electro lockers.
- New tires were amazing. The ride quality on road was very good with just a little noise and off road the grip was much better than the KM3 I was running. I have been a big fan of BFG for many decades, the Coopers are my new best friend now. Couple spots where I got hung up the wheels spun a bit, with no evidence on the tire of spinning them on the rocks. Just 700 mile old and still very soft I expected to see much more damage in the soft rubber.

Red Jeep 2.0 is operational now. Lets hit some trails!

next up 850RE swap. Stay tuned.

Cooper STT Pros are excellent. They will get a little louder on pavement but it's worth it to me for the off-road performance.

I am looking to get new mud terrains. Considering the Coopers. I have always had BFG ATs. But willing to switch brands for a cood grippy MT tire.

And glad to see things are really good with the rig Rob.

Reactions: R3
Back