R3

Offroad Committee Lead
Trail Instructor
Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
Good place to start....

just  picked up 2017 Red Rubicon Recon (RRR) . Now the fun begins

1st on the list is a 3.5 inch lift kit from Metal Cloak.  Done a bunch of research and  there are alternatives but for the money and the capability I am looking for this looks like  the best bet.  I am told that Ken (Kens hardware)  is a dealer on this forum, would like to get in touch with him if I can.

Next will be wheels & Tires.

Wheels will be Fuel D583 ANAZ in Matte Bronze with black trim rings. Will wrap them in a set of BFG KM2 35/12.50x 17 tires.

Don't laugh, but a set of Electric steps will be added, after all this is a daily driver and the better half is only 5'6". I have seen the set that double as rock sliders they are about $500 more than AMP. AMP  makes a great product and a wide step.  Choices....

Will have to do something about the tire carrier... Smittybilt will handle that  with their new GenII frame mounted carrier.

Comms... Looks like many are running CB radios. Have looked at GMRS units... Not much sense going with GMRS if no one is using them.

So as I figure out how to post pictures I will start posting documenting the build process.

:cheers
Rob.

I need to figure out how to post pictures.... Need to put up a before shot to start with.

VA6489 said:
I need to figure out how to post pictures.... Need to put up a before shot to start with.

You can use a site like flikr or use tapatalk to view the forum and upload through that. Basically the photos have to be hosted on a third party site.

http://4wheelonline.com/fuel-wheels-d583-anza-matte-bronze-black-ring.271800.0

Wheels....

So the wife is 5'1", and her JKU is lifted 3.5 on AEV lift on 35's.  We have Hammerhead rock slider steps and a grab handle, and she manages just fine.  The only folks I ever see making use of the electric drop-down steps usually have mobility issues / elderly.  Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Best of luck!
O_E

Other_Erik said:
So the wife is 5'1", and her JKU is lifted 3.5 on AEV lift on 35's.  We have Hammerhead rock slider steps and a grab handle, and she manages just fine.  The only folks I ever see making use of the electric drop-down steps usually have mobility issues / elderly.  Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Best of luck!
O_E

I've actually looked into it for the wife for the truck, not the jeep, they're not that high or short but man it makes a difference

I think they will look great against  Firecracker Red.

VA6489 said:
http://4wheelonline.com/fuel-wheels-d583-anza-matte-bronze-black-ring.271800.0

Wheels....
Those are pretty sweet.  But if you plan to Wheel this thing, you may want to consider a wheel that either has a rock ring that can be replaced or consider bead locks of some sort.  They will get chewed up on rocks, period.  If not, these are certainly sexy!

Been a while since I have "wheeled", back in the day (80s) my CJ  run some crazy routes in both the USA and Spain, the BFG did a great job is saving the big Alloys.
I like  technical trail and also like to keep the machine together. Damage is not a badge of honor to me.  But with this said I hear what you ae saying. Bead locks would be sweet but also carry a hefty $$$$$, not in the cards at this point.  The next iteration of this rig will have 37 and bead locks.

Also I am not diving in the deep end running the double black diamond trails  right off, this new JK is a bit of a different machine from the old CJ. Plus she has to do double duty as a daily driver 75% on road 25% off. Granted  in a couple years I will undoubtedly be up to me neck in WTF am I doing trails and laughing  like a little school girl. LOL

Cheers 

VA6489 said:
Been a while since I have "wheeled", back in the day (80s) my CJ  run some crazy routes in both the USA and Spain, the BFG did a great job is saving the big Alloys.
I like  technical trail and also like to keep the machine together. Damage is not a badge of honor to me.  But with this said I hear what you ae saying. Bead locks would be sweet but also carry a hefty $$$$$, not in the cards at this point.  The next iteration of this rig will have 37 and bead locks.

Also I am not diving in the deep end running the double black diamond trails  right off, this new JK is a bit of a different machine from the old CJ. Plus she has to do double duty as a daily driver 75% on road 25% off. Granted  in a couple years I will undoubtedly be up to me neck in WTF am I doing trails and laughing  like a little school girl. LOL

Cheers 
Totally get that. I had that same mentality a year ago and even the blue trails I did scratched my rims.  Just trying to help others not make the same mistakes I did.  Not trying to pressure you into something you don't think you need.  Looking forward to seeing your build progress. A lot of us are running the Metal Cloak lifts, you will like it.

Rock slider steps... These things look very cool and useful. Any one have any experience with them?

Need to figure that one out  there is a post an image button in the reply tools but I have not figured out how to do that yet.

VA6489 said:
Need to figure that one out  there is a post an image button in the reply tools but I have not figured out how to do that yet.
Think I am figuring things out on the way of pictures.
713983592716cb47a928d936f5c28e3f.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

VA6489 said:
VA6489 said:
Think I am figuring things out on the way of pictures.
713983592716cb47a928d936f5c28e3f.jpg

35/12.50x17s awaiting new rims
aaa15f4ffbb3d3cef828631fb9fcae3a.jpg

Back