RRR

Makes sense. I’m intrigued by the tow rig.
Tow rigs in the running are:
Clean ( read no major rust) J20, M715, early F250 (70s), Late model F250/350 10 speed trans.

The Jeep trucks will need a heart transplant gas to Diesel. The M series will need an enclosed cab thinking J pickup. 70s Ford heart transplant, and the late model just drive. I have a thread on Rattle Wagon in the rigs section.

Last edited:
Rings are due in today. heads are in and ready to install.

Found a broken RH head. Looks like it cracked on the intake side in the intake runners or has a bad guide. Shiny new parts ready to install.

Rings? Just because you're already in there? Didn't actually need them did it?
@zuke, Head off found a bit of scoring on the second cylinder back on the passenger side. Broken ring? oil control spacer issue? not sure but there is something not right there. Other cylinders look ok for the mileage.

At this point considering options. But first need to get this pig back together.

The 3.6L motor is a hotrod....

Dual overhead cams with chain drive

Windage tray to keep the oil splash down and 4 bolt mains....

They are getting every bit of power out of this thing

Some lessons learned
1) The 3.6L is a hotrod in design. This makes for a complicated design
2) On an American V8 heads are a simple task. Pull the intake, pull the exhaust and pull the heads. The Pentastar, is a bit more involved. Upper and lower intake, fuel rail, valve covers, sensors everywhere. Hidden bolts, front cover needs to be pulled, timing chains, and oil pan ( if changing chains).
3) the engine bay needs to be stripped as well. If in frame work, you need to pull tires and fenders and drop the jeep down to get down to everything.
4) torque specs! It is amazing to me how little torque things take. 8ft#,16ft#,22ft# a good torque wrench is a must.
5) passenger side valve cover, nobody tells you that there is a PCV connection that needs to come off.....#$&$$@.

So the total of parts:
- right side head
- rings #3 cylinder
- ARP head studs
- crank sensor
- crank sensor pass side
- fuel injectors
- gasket set
- fluids

Labor... Lots... A whole day to tear down (14hrs) with two folks.

With all the new parts the computer needs to do some learning. Has some intermittent codes setting and clearing.

Overall the motor runs much better 😜 (go figure it has all 6 holes firing) I don't know how long the head has been cracked but glad to have it solved

Some lessons learned
1) The 3.6L is a hotrod in design. This makes for a complicated design
2) On an American V8 heads are a simple task. Pull the intake, pull the exhaust and pull the heads. The Pentastar, is a bit more involved. Upper and lower intake, fuel rail, valve covers, sensors everywhere. Hidden bolts, front cover needs to be pulled, timing chains, and oil pan ( if changing chains).
3) the engine bay needs to be stripped as well. If in frame work, you need to pull tires and fenders and drop the jeep down to get down to everything.
4) torque specs! It is amazing to me how little torque things take. 8ft#,16ft#,22ft# a good torque wrench is a must.
5) passenger side valve cover, nobody tells you that there is a PCV connection that needs to come off.....#$&$$@.

So the total of parts:
- right side head
- rings #3 cylinder
- ARP head studs
- crank sensor
- crank sensor pass side
- fuel injectors
- gasket set
- fluids

Labor... Lots... A whole day to tear down (14hrs) with two folks.

With all the new parts the computer needs to do some learning. Has some intermittent codes setting and clearing.

Overall the motor runs much better 😜 (go figure it has all 6 holes firing) I don't know how long the head has been cracked but glad to have it solved
Nice work - so glad you were able to get it running! Makes you wonder if it almost would make sense to pull the body. Nicely done!

Reactions: R3
King is finally shipping shocks.... hope they get over the mountains wiht all the flipping snow.... couple weeks to wait on shipping.

Final parts are in ... Suspension 2.0 to begin shortly

Attachments

• IMG_20230417_154111_01.jpg
    IMG_20230417_154111_01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230417_153259_01.jpg
    IMG_20230417_153259_01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
I'm not sure if this was something you were still chasing, but it popped up locally

Attachments

• IMG_1169.png
    IMG_1169.png
    5 MB · Views: 52
I'm not sure if this was something you were still chasing, but it popped up locally
Thank you and yes still chasing. But 5:1 is too low and according to atlas not a good fit for my setup. Thank you

Atlas recommends the 5 and 6:1 for low power/torque applications. I am thinking the 3.6 is pretty low power/torque...but hey what do I know

Interesting I wonder if this would be a good fit for the Liberty. May have to look into that. 3.6 and 3.7 are similar but I would agree with you that they are low power/torque.

Back