Rausch Creek Badge of Honor Ride - June 11

Added to Calendar: 06-11-22

WNDR-XJ

Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
Hi there!

I will be leading a Jeep Badge of Honor day-trip to Rausch Creek on June 11. The aim of this trip is to do all three BoH trails at Rausch: Trail 11 (green), Crawler Ridge (blue), and Crawl Daddy (red). If you want to only join for the two easier trails, that's ok too! Starting with 10 slots below, but if there is a lot of interest, we can see what we can do! Read on for further details below.

Lead: WNDR-XJ (Sarah & Kevin)
1. @R3 (Rob)
2. @mopar31898 (Adam)
3. @RattleTrap55
4. @blink9cd (Billy)
5. @STP72
6. @3VOLVE (Joe)
Tail: @BldyFrog (Dorian)

The Trails:
Stock Jeeps (non-lifted, 31s) will easily be able to complete Trail 11 (green) and Crawler Ridge (blue).
Crawl Daddy (red) is a more demanding trail with a gatekeeper and several other obstacles, though it is fairly short, and there are bypasses. The park strongly recommends 35s for Crawl Daddy, plus at least one locker. You'll also want your skid plates on.

Plan of Action:
We will meet at Rausch Creek in the main staging area by 8am. Everyone will need to get their passes and be ready to move out by 8:30am.
We will do the trails in order of difficulty, starting with Trail 11 (green) and Crawler Ridge (blue). We will have a short lunch break after completing those two trails. Please bring your own food/drinks/snacks, especially water!
After lunch, we will proceed to Crawl Daddy (red). Depending on how many people we have and the capabilities of the Jeeps, we will see about breaking up into two groups at this point. The first group can continue to the BoH ride, and the second could hit another couple of green/blue trails.
All in all, we will be done by 4:30 or 5PM!

Mandatory Requirements:

For all participants:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Spare tire (and tools to change)
  • Food & drinks (make sure you have water!)
  • Recovery points (front & rear)
  • Full tank of gas
  • Follow Tread Lightly principles (including pack in-pack out)
  • If you want your badges, have the app downloaded ahead of time (service can be spotty there)
Additional requirements for Crawl Daddy:
  • 35 inch tires strongly recommended, plus at least one locker. 33s and two lockers could also be fine...but prepare for underbelly noise.
Recommended (for all participants):
  • Zip ties for your sway bar if needed (I will bring extras.)
  • Fire extinguisher & first aid kit
  • Comms (We will use GMRS. I have two handhelds that I can lend out.)
  • Recovery gear & tools
  • Camp chair if you want to relax a bit at lunch
Logistics:

Location: Meet at main Rausch Creek staging area (453 Molleystown Rd, Pine Grove, PA 17963)
Date: June 11, 2022
Time: Meet at 8:00AM, move out by 8:30 AM, this will be an all-day ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in. will make it a two day run for me with camping at the park.

The gatekeeper at CD is not as tough as it used to be.

Adam coming up Friday?

Can we throw crawling for cops trail, cemetery and trail 20 in the mix?

Lunch on the beach? Home made sliders?

Friday night wings @ O'NEILS?

I could make this! Though I think I'm part of the crew that wouldn't want to do CD. I'm running a JLU Willys with some lift from Rubi take-offs but otherwise stock Willys 32" MTs / skids. I've been on a couple runs but still fairly new overall... thus my desire for self preservation of the daily driver is still pretty strong (first oil change tomorrow...), and I also don't wanna go on a trail to run all the bypasses.

I could make this! Though I think I'm part of the crew that wouldn't want to do CD. I'm running a JLU Willys with some lift from Rubi take-offs but otherwise stock Willys 32" MTs / skids. I've been on a couple runs but still fairly new overall... thus my desire for self preservation of the daily driver is still pretty strong (first oil change tomorrow...), and I also don't wanna go on a trail to run all the bypasses.
Totally fine, and I completely understand the daily driver conundrum! No need to make any firm decision now, and no pressure to do something you're not entirely comfortable with. Plus, the other trails Rob suggests above are all good fun too! I'll put you down on the list.

Understand the Daily driver thing. the Red Jeep is a daily ride as many know. Crawl Daddy, you can or you can't both answers are correct. With proper spotting I have taken bone stock rigs up CD. The Gate keeper used to be a frame twister to get thru, not so much now while it is a bit tricky it can be run with a stock rig. The big thing is confidance in you spotter and a little car control. Skids on Rasuch trails will get a bit of a work out but when run with a light touch shouldn't get damaged. The worst part is just heading metal on rock.

hope you join us.
I could make this! Though I think I'm part of the crew that wouldn't want to do CD. I'm running a JLU Willys with some lift from Rubi take-offs but otherwise stock Willys 32" MTs / skids. I've been on a couple runs but still fairly new overall... thus my desire for self preservation of the daily driver is still pretty strong (first oil change tomorrow...), and I also don't wanna go on a trail to run all the bypass

planning to take friday off. so I will be up at the park midday. might even do an afternoon run.

Totally fine, and I completely understand the daily driver conundrum! No need to make any firm decision now, and no pressure to do something you're not entirely comfortable with. Plus, the other trails Rob suggests above are all good fun too! I'll put you down on the list.
Thanks for understanding! I'm much more in it to learn and grow rather than for the bragging rights...maybe one day it won't be my only vehicle, but I'm only at 5k miles and literally writing this at as I'm waiting for my first Jeep Wave oil change haha. Though maybe if I mess up my rear plastic bumper it'll expedite me replacing it 😂

P.S. You can put "Billy" by my handle. Will help everyone eventually remember me

Understand the Daily driver thing. the Red Jeep is a daily ride as many know. Crawl Daddy, you can or you can't both answers are correct. With proper spotting I have taken bone stock rigs up CD. The Gate keeper used to be a frame twister to get thru, not so much now while it is a bit tricky it can be run with a stock rig. The big thing is confidance in you spotter and a little car control. Skids on Rasuch trails will get a bit of a work out but when run with a light touch shouldn't get damaged. The worst part is just heading metal on rock.

hope you join us.
What's a gatekeeper?

And that makes sense on Crawl Daddy. While so far I've only done Peter's Mill and Flagpole in VA, I should say I'm not a complete stranger to Rausch/AOAA. I did the Off Road Consulting 101/201/301/Recoveary classes with a friend and certainly got myself in some sketchy situations. But was always going real slow, in a class environment, and had a great spotter with a reputational interest in me not breaking anything haha (Kyle from ORC), so came out mostly unscathed, happy, and mentally stronger.

So I'm not *100%* opposed to a game time decision while I'm up there if it's going well. But in the end I'd rather be realistic and I don't wanna do it either me or my Jeep isn't ready, cause I don't care about getting the badge that much.

Gate keeper,

This is usually the first challenge on a trail and likely to be quite a challenge to get over/through. Also it serves as "filter" .

Cheers

Count me in for this ride.

Most likely camping Friday night too.

I'm thinking Crawldaddy (or any reds for that matter) will be outta reach for my WJ with 30.5" tires. I'm down for the greens and blues though.

Back