Rattle Wagon

R3

Offroad Committee Lead
Trail Instructor
Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
As if I do not have enough project going on right now. Taking a down day is always dangerous for me as I tend to catch up on some of my favorite car shows. This particular show was of the Great Smoky mountain Jeep invasion. The guy had a great build based on a late 60s M715. He turned it into a mobile Work shop for his business. this set me thinking.

Concept is based on the Kaiser M715 "Five Quarter" weapons carrier ( aka pickup) for the army. As built this rig came with an open cab/soft top and less than Steller accommodations for the driver and passenger. Axles are D60 front and D70 rear at 73.5 WMS to WMS length with a closed knuckle and drum brakes. transfer case is a NP 200 1.91:1 low range divorced and a Warner T98 4 speed. Factory motor is a 230 6 cylinder which is grossly underpowered but will move the rig down the road on an almost 6:1 gear set...

The plan is to Swap the cab for a J10/20 pickup cab. The sheet metal all works for the front clip and the body lines align for a weather tight cab. Pull the Tornado 230 Six and find a 24v Cummins 5.9 and a 6 speed manual trans for power.
Axles are 30 spline stock, so either find a custom length and move up to 40 spline or ditch the axles and go with a more modern set up from a dually with Disc brakes all around. and locker(s)

Interior plan is to set it up like a Grand Waggy comfy and plush.

Bed I have some overlanding ideas that might make it way into the plan.

Overall goal is to be able to drive this on the road as a daily driver / tow pig and still off road to a moderate level. With the right gearing and balance of power the set up should get something like 20mpg unloaded and 15mpg with the trailer.

The search begins.

Working the interwebs today...

Average price for a running M715 is around 20K found one in southern VA for $2000..... awaiting a call back....

Also found one with the 6.2 Diesel and a turbo 400..... $8 K

then there is the one in Dallas that is offered for the absurd price of $89K for 40 I'm in at 90 I'll build my own.

Wanted to CTD one for a long time. I will send them your way been seeing a few 715s lately. Saw a mint 53 power wagon not long ago for 12k

Reactions: R3
Wanted to CTD one for a long time. I will send them your way been seeing a few 715s lately. Saw a mint 53 power wagon not long ago for 12k
An early 50s W serise Power Wagon would be a hoot to build too. The Flat fender design, the cab is too small for my 6'5" frame to comfortable fit in. Being a Jeep comunity I was trying to keep the theme Jeep with either a stretched Willys or a converted M715/Jserise rig. I am finding that people are very proud of their piles of rust. Anything drivable is pretty well up there as well.

Found a J2000....might be the base for this project.

28076CFE-FE72-4BE9-97F0-14EF869E8DA4.jpeg

Thanks Joe,
In correspondance with him. Done some work on it. SD axles and new tires and wheels. The rest of the rig is still pretty stock to include the motor. Could be interesting if we can decide on a price.

Four Wheeler on TV is building a M715

Love the project! This is what I had in mind with the original Willy's concept. Being 6'5" early trucks are a snug fit and offer little in the way of comfort for someone my size. I had a 56 F100 and that cab was great for a little while until the ergonomics catch up with you. That guy put a lot of work into that build and I think I have seen it on an off road publication. Thanks for sharing.

Back