Peters Mill 12/11 or 12/18

Anyone interested in doing Peters Mill one last time this year?

New member? Stock Jeep? Never been off road? Don't have the Peters Mill badge of honor yet?

This is your ride.

When: Saturday 12/11/21, 9 am
Where: Woodstock Liberty/7-11 (340 W Reservoir Road). 
Weather: For 12/11 looks like 70's (!) with some late pm rain.
Direction: Last month we did North to South, so we can flip it for those who have not tried the trail in that direction. Or we can flip a coin.
Trail length: approximately 8 miles.
Duration: 4 hrs including stops
Speed: 5 mph.

We will get our day passes/maps there and check in to the BOH app for the trail tag. Download app and sign in before you go or we can show you how at 7-11.

Option 1: Stop at the Woodstock observation tower on the way up to the trail.
Option 2: We can also add Taskers Gap or other side routes based on time and progress/interest.
Option 3: If time allows and everyone is willing, we can also turn around and do in the opposite direction. Otherwise, we go home.

This is a stock friendly trail. Air source and way to disconnect front sway bars optional but recommended.

Radios (frs/gmrs) bring them if you have them. I have a spare one.

Saturday 12/18 can be the "rain date" or the "one last chance ride".

Basic information and a map are here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gwj/recarea/?recid=73965, yellow trail 433 is Peters Mill. Some maps show it as Powell Mountain Road, same road.

onX trail information: https://webmap.onxmaps.com/offroad/map/query/38.83410,-78.48193,10.78/overview?mode=dirt

What is a Badge of Honor? Follow the App link here: https://www.jeep.com/badge-of-honor.html

Confirmed so far for 12/11/21:

1. Rucon17
2. Nacho
3. BldyFrog
4. TheoLP62
5. OneArmedSaint

See you Saturday.

Hey Jose,
if there is still interest in doing Peters Mill before it closes this year, count me in. I'm available any of those dates.

Thanks.

Count me as a maybe for Saturday (the 11th).  Not 100% sure, but looks like I may be free so far.

I want to get out and feel my new lift before Jan 1. I am fairly flexible on the dates.  Just need to clear with the wife first and I won’t know much till maybe Friday.

I'd be in for Saturday the 11th, was looking at some other trails but would gladly hit up Peter's Mill again.

Heading out in a few minutes, looks like the weather will hold while on the trail but the ride home might be interesting.

Great time today. Thanks Jose for setting up. Fun ride and met some cool new people.
04ce9dea58194856ec61d34d3c611aba.jpg
e3604e677c356423c51b2808acb5f648.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Pic 1 was taken in July before lift.  Pic 2 was taken today, same rock at Peters Mill.  And yes, I am very well aware that BldyJeep is still wearing baby shoes.
8b4cbd6a8c1d89f68cd85a965d10e67c.jpg

68c70c5b8ba874fed041dadbff5a6ff8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not take a ton of pictures since I was by myself today but I did start a Google photo album. Hopefully others can see this and add their photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TtpgYzMZf87pBy8B9

Great turnout! Weather held off until we were done. We had some Taco's join in and everyone had a great time.

I added my pictures to the Google drive.

Scott/Chris can describe their little side trip via trails 474 and 457, but it looks like there is some more challenging trails up there for the more experienced wheelers. For now the pictures tell the story.

Next weekend is the last time I can go to Peters Mill this year so let's see if anyone else wants to go.

The side trail was a blast, if I had known what it was like I'd never gone on it with a stock jeep.  Definetly used coaching getting over some obstacles and learned a ton.  I would definetly go that way again.

JoseQ_80 said:
Great turnout! Weather held off until we were done. We had some Taco's join in and everyone had a great time.

Scott/Chris can describe their little side trip via trails 474 and 457, but it looks like there is some more challenging trails up there for the more experienced wheelers. For now the pictures tell the story.

Next weekend is the last time I can go to Peters Mill this year so let's see if anyone else wants to go.
Watch out for the side trails, pretty much everyone one of them is for ATV/SxS only. Vehicles are supposed to stick to the main trail up there.

jwilson2598 said:
JoseQ_80 said:

Watch out for the side trails, pretty much everyone one of them is for ATV/SxS only. Vehicles are supposed to stick to the main trail up there.

That was what I always thought, but this one clearly had an OHV sign on it and yellow "V" on trees along trails.  Upon reviewing the website we may have been mistaken, but it was clearly marked OHV.  They have done a lot of work on the trail system since last time I was there, so perhaps it is being updated as there were a lot of new signage and some new LZ areas cleared.

We would certainly not have gone that way without the big OHV sign at the opening of trail 474.  If it was still an ATV trail, was certainly an honest mistake and I will confirm and let the group know.

20211211_184837-jpg.203815

The line pattern on the map suggests 474 is an OHV trail. It was marked that way on the trees.

If there is any questions about it we won't send anyone that way.

Next Saturday or Sunday anyone?

Back