Opinions wanted from seasoned shooters

Are you an experienced shooter with years of experience? I Only want opinions from
People who Have owned firearms more than 2 years?

Depends on what I'm buying it for. Target, carry, home defense, competition? A weapon for a experienced or inexperienced shooter? Big Hands, small hands? Small person, large person? I've been shooting for over 50 years and I can safely say there is no one gun for all types of shooting or for every shooter.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I agree with AutoTraker. I have 23 years in the Army with multiple tours in combat, so I have some experience. I personally recommend a Glock for your first weapon. G19 is the number one selling pistol in the country for a reason. They are easy to shoot out of the box, very dependable, easy to break down and are reasonably cheap. As was mentioned, every experienced shooter has a preference in trigger, grip, plastic v Steel, and caliber. What you need to think about is what you need the pistol for. Conceal carry? Home defense? just targets, or what? then better advice can be given

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock. A seasoned shooter should be able to shoot any pistol very well and will look past the features that a rookie shooter will look for. How it feels in the hand, trigger, sights, what they read online etc.

/\ Very insightful post. Most here seem to appreciate the glocks more. How do they hold up to adverse conditions compared to the walther? Such as snow, mud, dog hair, water?

all4jpn said:
/\ Very insightful post. Most here seem to appreciate the glocks more. How do they hold up to adverse conditions compared to the walther? Such as snow, mud, dog hair, water?
This is where the glocks really shine. They have a proven track record with agencies around the world for their reliability in such harsh conditions. Although I haven't done testing myself I leave that to the experts that need a side arm they can trust every day.

Clifford04X said:
all4jpn said:
/ Very insightful post. Most here seem to appreciate the glocks more. How do they hold up to adverse conditions compared to the walther? Such as snow, mud, dog hair, water?
This is where the glocks really shine. They have a proven track record with agencies around the world for their reliability in such harsh conditions. Although I haven't done testing myself I leave that to the experts that need a side arm they can trust every day.
x2.  You could literally throw it in the mud, run over it or bury it in sand and dig it up and it will fire.  And like Clifford said, this is why many agencies use Glock.  I don't own any Walthers, and I am sure they are fine too. I will also say that parts available for Glock v other handguns is significant. There are more after market parts available than any other that I am aware of. 

Redleg said:
Clifford04X said:
all4jpn said:
/ Very insightful post. Most here seem to appreciate the glocks more. How do they hold up to adverse conditions compared to the walther? Such as snow, mud, dog hair, water?
x2.  You could literally throw it in the mud, run over it or bury it in sand and dig it up and it will fire.  And like Clifford said, this is why many agencies use Glock.  I don't own any Walthers, and I am sure they are fine too. I will also say that parts available for Glock v other handguns is significant. There are more after market parts available than any other that I am aware of. 

Bill, you are a Glock fanboy.  James Bond uses a Walther so they are obviously better.

Silversurfer said:
Redleg said:
Clifford04X said:
all4jpn said:

Bill, you are a Glock fanboy.  James Bond uses a Walther so they are obviously better.
Oh, my bad. Shows how much I know. Thanks for clearing that up, Michael.

I haven't owned either of those brands. I've always heard that hi-point was better than Glock. Something about superior trigger feel or durability? I just need a gun I can keep in my bathroom and not worry if it'll fire or not.
Subscribed.

Start no, be no.
"C"

Supertayt said:
I haven't owned either of those brands. I've always heard that hi-point was better than Glock. Something about superior trigger feel or durability? I just need a gun I can keep in my bathroom and not worry if it'll fire or not.
Subscribed.

Start no, be no.
"C"
While this is off topic I'd probably pick the hi point over the walther. At least I would know to have a plan B.

Just got the Glock gen 5 release email.

"The G17 Gen5 and G19 Gen5 pistols were inspired by the GLOCK M pistols used by the FBI and include many features the GLOCK community has been asking for.  There are over 20 design changes which differentiate our Gen5 pistols from their Gen4 predecessors, including a flared mag-well, a new nDLC finish, the GLOCK Marksman Barrel, ambidextrous slide stop levers, and a grip which has no finger grooves."

Argument over, Glock is now clearly the best. They claim the best pistol ever will be on store shelves Aug 30, better go get in line now.

zimm said:
Walthers are junk. That's why I have a Smith & wesson m&p 22.
When I was shopping for my first carry weapon, someone tried selling me a Walther. I had never heard of them so I was hesitant. The choice was between a Walther and a Colt Defender. I chose the Colt because, it's a pretty famous name (plus it sounds cool). It doesn't seem like anyone likes the Walthers. Is it like a cheap Kimber knock off? I don't know anything about them.
It looks like I made the right decision.

Start no, be no.
"C"

Back