New to Jeeping Run (Peters Mill)

Added to Calendar: 04-08-23

Nacho

Member 2024
VA4WDA
New to Jeeping Ride

One of Northern VA Jeepers Associations long standing traditional rides is the early summer “New to Jeeping” trip up to Flagpole. This year we are changing it up a little bit and doing it early in the season and at Peters Mill. These changes will provide all the new Jeep owners from the winter months a chance to get out and learn a little about their vehicles and moving the venue to Peters Mill as it is a little easier trail. Peters Mill is also a Badge of Honor trail which means that you can check in and Jeep will send you a free badge in the mail. For more info on BoH, click here.

The Trail:

Peters Mill is stock Jeep friendly, family friendly, and a dog friendly outing. It is the perfect run for new Jeepers, stock Jeeps, or anyone that just wants to get out and meet some new friends. You can expect some rocky trails that can be easily traversed with a stock Jeep and a couple mud holes. There is an optional hill-climb and some great photo opportunities.

Since this is a new to Jeeping run, we will do an extended safety brief before we start and go over some basic off-roading 101 points. This ride will be a little slower than normal and will have folks available to answer questions and help those who are new to all this. All are welcome, but be prepared for a 101 type day.

I am going to limit this (initially) to 10 Jeeps and have a waitlist. If there is enough interest, we may be able to have another group leave an hour later or something like that. I would like to get one or two experienced Jeepers to help with tail and mid, but other than that keep it open for folks who may be new to all this “Jeep stuff”.

We will stop for lunch on the trail.

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Spare tire (and tools to change)
  • Food & drinks (yes, I always consider snacks mandatory, and we will do a group lunch on the trail)
  • Recovery points (front & rear)
  • Full tank of gas
  • Follow Tread Lightly principles (including pack in-pack out)
Recommended:
  • Fire extinguisher & first aid kit
  • Comms (we will use GMRS Ch 5)
  • Recovery gear & Tools
  • Camera- You never know what you will see up there. Bear, snakes, deer, fox, quail etc.

Logistics:

We will meet at 7/11 in Woodstock (340 W Reservoir Rd, Woodstock, VA 22664) where each vehicle will be required to purchase a day pass for Peters Mill ($5 per vehicle)
Date: April 8, 2023
Time: 8:30 AM, this will be an all-day ride

We will do a short meet-up and get passes, then caravan to the trailhead where we will do a safety brief and 101 chat before rolling out. Here you will be able to air down your tires (if desired).

Important note: The trail is currently closed for the winter season and the ranger is expecting it to be open the first week in April. If the trail is NOT yet open, we will look at rescheduling or changing location.

Update: The trail is open, so ride is planned for this weekend. I know this looks like a huge group, but we will split into two groups and stagger start by 15 minutes or so.

1. Nacho (lead)
  2. ChickenSandwich
  3. LASTLB
  4. RubiDukkie
  5. Bitley
  6. CORY
  7. RG12
  8. taylorl
  9. Kixter
  10. Fabricio
  11. E&A-Funday
  12. MsnMtns
  13. Chach
  14. BldyFrog

Last edited:
Count me in.
Having F/R lockers installed by Bull Run 4x4, hope to have Jeep back by then, but you never know as parts are on order. :rolleyes:
If the Jeeps not back from the shop I'll still meet up and hopefully can bum a passenger seat from someone

I'm gonna just watch this post Scott, if for some reason opening is delayed I'll sign on, since I'll be in Moab still on the 8th.

New to Jeeping Ride

One of Northern VA Jeepers Associations long standing traditional rides is the early summer “New to Jeeping” trip up to Flagpole. This year we are changing it up a little bit and doing it early in the season and at Peters Mill. These changes will provide all the new Jeep owners from the winter months a chance to get out and learn a little about their vehicles and moving the venue to Peters Mill as it is a little easier trail. Peters Mill is also a Badge of Honor trail which means that you can check in and Jeep will send you a free badge in the mail. For more info on BoH, click here.

The Trail:

Peters Mill is stock Jeep friendly, family friendly, and a dog friendly outing. It is the perfect run for new Jeepers, stock Jeeps, or anyone that just wants to get out and meet some new friends. You can expect some rocky trails that can be easily traversed with a stock Jeep and a couple mud holes. There is an optional hill-climb and some great photo opportunities.

Since this is a new to Jeeping run, we will do an extended safety brief before we start and go over some basic off-roading 101 points. This ride will be a little slower than normal and will have folks available to answer questions and help those who are new to all this. All are welcome, but be prepared for a 101 type day.

I am going to limit this (initially) to 10 Jeeps and have a waitlist. If there is enough interest, we may be able to have another group leave an hour later or something like that. I would like to get one or two experienced Jeepers to help with tail and mid, but other than that keep it open for folks who may be new to all this “Jeep stuff”.

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Food & drinks (yes, I always consider snacks mandatory, and we will do a group lunch on the trail)
  • Full tank of gas
Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools
  • Camera- You never know what you will see up there. Bear, snakes, deer, fox, quail etc.

Logistics:

We will meet at 7/11 in Woodstock (340 W Reservoir Rd, Woodstock, VA 22664) where each vehicle will be required to purchase a day pass for Peters Mill ($5 per vehicle)

We will do a short meet-up and get passes, then caravan to the trailhead where we will do a safety brief and 101 chat before rolling out. Here you will be able to air down your tires (if desired).

Important note: The trail is currently closed for the winter season and the ranger is expecting it to be open the first week in April. If the trail is NOT yet open, we will look at rescheduling or changing location.

1. Nacho (lead)
  2. ChickenSandwich
  3. LASTLB
  4. RubiDukkie
  5. Damtall55 (mid)

6. silverhawkjlu "tentative" (tail)
Can you please add Bitley to this list, I’m looking forward to doing this! Thanks!

New to Jeeping Ride

The Trail:

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Full tank of gas
Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools

Logistics:

1. Nacho (lead)
  2. ChickenSandwich
  3. LASTLB
  4. RubiDukkie
  5. Damtall55 (mid)
  6. Bitley
  7. SD2001TJ
  8. Jeepin_Donnie

9. silverhawkjlu "tentative" (tail)
Nacho,
I would like to go as well. Thanks, RG12

New to Jeeping Ride

The Trail:

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Full tank of gas
Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools

Logistics:

1. Nacho (lead)
  2. ChickenSandwich
  3. LASTLB
  4. RubiDukkie
  5. Damtall55 (mid)
  6. Bitley
  7. SD2001TJ
  8. Jeepin_Donnie

New to Jeeping Ride

The Trail:

Mandatory Requirements:
  • Functioning 4wd
  • Full tank of gas
Recommended:
  • Recovery gear & Tools

Logistics:

1. Nacho (lead)
  2. ChickenSandwich
  3. LASTLB
  4. RubiDukkie
  5. Damtall55 (mid)
  6. Bitley
  7. SD2001TJ
  8. Jeepin_Donnie

I would love to do this but cannot make it that weekend. Please let you know if you do another new member in the near future, thanks!

Count me in.
Having F/R lockers installed by Bull Run 4x4, hope to have Jeep back by then, but you never know as parts are on order. :rolleyes:
If the Jeeps not back from the shop I'll still meet up and hopefully can bum a passenger seat from someone
What’s your order number? I can check the status of the parts to see what’s here, what’s in transit and if we can have you in and done by the time you go wheeling.

What’s your order number? I can check the status of the parts to see what’s here, what’s in transit and if we can have you in and done by the time you go wheeling.
Order #4997, I talked to Heather on Friday 24th, She said the MetalCloak parts were not showing a ship status, and they take a week after they ship. You let me know upfront the MetalCloak parts would be the long poll in this build. There will be lots of wheeling weeks and weekends this season so missing a few to get the rig upgraded is a price I'm willing to pay.

Forest service says the trail is supposed to open this weekend, so I expect the ride will take place on the 7th. That said, I have no doubt that if you post a date, you can get some folks to join you.

If there is another one of these runs at a later date I would love to be included, I am getting gears installed in a few days and won't be able to take it out for a little while.

Back