New tires on stock Gladiator Sport S

So my JT still has the stock 245's which I hate. They did fine on the trail but honestly they just look silly. I'm looking to go up to around 33's but I'm conflicted on size between the 285/70r17 and the 285/75r17s. The rubicon comes stock with the 70s, but the 75's are really appealing. My hesitation is rubbing. I've read conflicting information on whether the 75's will rub. The truck isn't lifted, nor do I plan to do a lift soon. Its not Max Tow so it doesn't have the fender flares. I'm going to be doing some off roading, but nothing that would require sway bar disconnects. I would love yall's thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

IMO it sounds like you will like the look and not off road it hard or often. I would go with the slightly bigger ones. I don't think it will be detrimental. Just my opinion.

I see you posted this a little while ago, make any decisions? I don't know much about the Gladiator, but I have researched some for the JL, as I've been thinking about replacing the MTs with ATs.

Like you I've been strongly considering that size (285/75/17), as it's the same width as Rubicon 285/70/17 take-offs (important cause of the narrower Sport axles and the offset on stock wheels, and no one complains about rubbing with the take-offs), but about a full inch taller/ and more sidewall (say vs a half inch shorter/but wider 295/70/17 33" where I think more rubbing has been reported). In my case, the Willys standard 255/75/17 M/T is an inch skinnier but only a half inch shorter than Rubicon take-offs -- not an especially enticing difference.

From what I read (also conflicting reports), it does help to have at least a Rubicon suspension / high-top fenders to minimize potential rubbing, but also how/where it rubs it's not likely a huge deal if it happens. The other potential complication I read about as you go bigger/heavier is not having the Rubicon gearing -- depends on the tire, but some of the lighter 285/75/17s might still be at least 7-10 more pounds per tire than take-off 285/70/17s, and definitely a lot more than what you currently have. Not insignificant when you do the conversion of unsprung to sprung weight to see what that equates to.

Not that I'm an expert, but since you're not off roading much it wouldn't sound like a huge deal to me. Are you planning on keeping your current wheels? One benefit to Rubicon take-offs and 285/70/17s are that they're a pretty good deal if you're planning on changing the wheel along with the tire. From the research I've done, if you're only changing the tire it's not nearly as great of a value proposition.

8f73818e149a66722f674467282b9e16.jpg

Yeah I ended up going with the bfgoodrich ko2 285/75r17 and I’m glad I did! They look absolutely fantastic on the jeep. It looks so much better and handles incredibly on the trail. I wasn’t experiencing any rubbing, but I did end up putting a 3/4” leveling kit on the front over the weekend to give them a bit more space since they do take up a ton of space in the front wells. I say definitely go for these if you’re looking for 33s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8f73818e149a66722f674467282b9e16.jpg

Yeah I ended up going with the bfgoodrich ko2 285/75r17 and I’m glad I did! They look absolutely fantastic on the jeep. It looks so much better and handles incredibly on the trail. I wasn’t experiencing any rubbing, but I did end up putting a 3/4” leveling kit on the front over the weekend to give them a bit more space since they do take up a ton of space in the front wells. I say definitely go for these if you’re looking for 33s!

That does look great. Also glad to hear no rubbing. Do you notice any difference while driving from the heavier tires? Like issues getting into 8th gear, longer stopping times, etc?

It definitely doesn’t want to stay in 8th. I need to get a tazer mini so I can fix the speedo. They do feel heavier as expected, acceleration and braking. Steering is also a tad heavier. Comes with the territory.

It definitely doesn’t want to stay in 8th. I need to get a tazer mini so I can fix the speedo. They do feel heavier as expected, acceleration and braking. Steering is also a tad heavier. Comes with the territory.

If that is all your are configuring. You can borrow my ECRI for that. Of course, you would have to unlock the car on the app for $50.

You should look into the JScan ap.
It can resize your tires and a whole lot more for pretty cheap. Just need a OBDII bluetooth dongle with it.

Ok that makes sense to me. Were your previous tires 245/75/17 Michelin LTX M/S2? (googled and I think that's the stock Sport tires). If so it it looks like the new ones are almost 2.5" taller and 1.5" wider! Discount tire also says you moved up from 33lbs per tire to 61lbs and to an E load rating.

I saw an article on unsprung vs sprung weight (https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/sprung-vs-unsprung-weight) -- basically 1lb of unsprung weight is like having 3lbs of sprung weight. If so, that's like having an extra 28*4*3 + 28*1 = 364lbs while you're moving, which I imagine makes sense why you'd feel it accelerating, braking, steering.

My Willys M/Ts start at 47lbs and was looking at some 59lbs 285/75/17s, which when you run the numbers is like adding 156lbs. So I wonder if it would be less initially noticeable, but I think you have a different gear ratio too (3.73 vs 3.45 ?).

That’s interesting! Thank you for the info! The stocks were the Bridgestone dueler 245/75r17. I imagine you’d notice much less than I did. Overall it wasn’t detrimental and I’ve since gotten used to it. I think you’ll enjoy them on your jeep!

Cool always nice to hear real world feedback including pros/cons. As you can tell I like to take a while and research lol (FYI looks like your old tires were 39 lbs -- updated figure would be 286, so still makes sense)

That’s interesting! Thank you for the info! The stocks were the Bridgestone dueler 245/75r17. I imagine you’d notice much less than I did. Overall it wasn’t detrimental and I’ve since gotten used to it. I think you’ll enjoy them on your jeep!

Just following up here, made the switch! I went with the Toyo OC AT3s in 285/75/17/C. So far I like how they look and are pretty nice on the road. Excited to take them out on the trails and test them out for real. Thanks for the encouragement and feedback

Just following up here, made the switch! I went with the Toyo OC AT3s in 285/75/17/C. So far I like how they look and are pretty nice on the road. Excited to take them out on the trails and test them out for real. Thanks for the encouragement and feedback

Pics or it didn’t happen!

Haha I just put one in the "Today" thread, but here's a fun before and after I didn't stick in there:

prepostnewtires.jpg

Aw heck yeah man that looks fantastic!! Hope to see it on the trail sometime!

Now that the white lettering is gone, I notice the chrome lugs a lot more and wanna switch them...it never ends 😂

How tall are your new tires? 33?

These are 285/75/17, so 34s. Based on spec sheet, about 1.7" taller / 1.2" wider than the Willys 255/75/17s, 1.1" taller / same width as OEM takeoff 285/70/17s (33s), and .6" shorter / 1.2" narrower than 315/70/17s (35s)

Back