New Jeep owner in Stafford area

GeekDad62

New Forum User
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a Jeep Renegade Deserthawk, and so far I'm loving it. I'm interested in exploring the community here, and possibly finding some beginner trails. While my Deserthawk is trail rated, the tires most definitely are not, so I'll take it slowly until I can get something better.

It runs 215/65R17. It came with Crosswind tires which are just an all season tire, not all-terrain. I've been doing some research, and also reading the JeepRenegadeForum, and apparently the Falken AT3Ws are pretty good tires. I'm open to other suggestions and recommendations.

Welcome from Woodbridge....my daughter has a Renegade and I love driving it. That thing is a hoot!
Thanks. I was looking at the Cherokee at first, but thinking about my commute into DC I decided on the much smaller footprint of the Rene... and it's trail rated with the deserthawk package so that's a big appeal. There were a LOT of trailhawks available while I was searching, but only a handful of the deserthawks. I feel like it's extra protection even for my vehicle. I have a trailblazer with 200k miles on it and it was a blessing during the big winter storm last year, but I noticed there's a lot of stuff knocking on the bottom in all that snow. I like knowing I have the skid plates and rock rails as added protection even when I'm not off-road. I just need to get some better tires so I can try out some trails.

I was just wondering since i have a set of slightly used BFG KM3s in 255/75r17 up for sale. I'm guessing you would need a lift to run those. lol
Everything i've read about the Faulken AT3Ws has been good. I havent ever used them yet but are on my short list when i need new tires which shouldnt be for a long time with my current tire's condition.

I've heard they're good off-road while being reasonably quiet on the road. The tires I have now are fine as long as I stay on roads, but I do want to explore some trails. I may splurge on the Falkens and try to sell my Crosswinds. I haven't really decided yet.

Can't go to much bigger on the tires, last tires I ran on my Renegade Trailhawk before trading it in was a set of 225/65r17s, I had a 2.5" lift, and they still rubbed at lock, Yokahoma Geolander M/T G003 on stock Trailhawk wheels with 1.5" spacers. If your primary use is street though, I'd probably go bfg ko2s in the same 225/65r17 size, they're also pretty decent in the snow, where as the Geolander's, while not horrible, were'nt nearly as good as the BFG in snow..

Last edited:
I got to check in over my tires on my Renegade this afternoon and I noticed that I'm running mismatched tires. Crosswinds on the front, and sumitomo's on the back. I haven't double checked on what's on the spare right now, but I think it's time to just buy five new tires lol. At least that's my excuse anyway.
I'm seeing the Falken AT3W's for $179 at Walmart, or online at Amazon. I called a nearby tires Plus, and they want it over 200 per tire. Does anyone have any other sources where I might get a good deal?

I got to check in over my tires on my Renegade this afternoon and I noticed that I'm running mismatched tires. Crosswinds on the front, and sumitomo's on the back. I haven't double checked on what's on the spare right now, but I think it's time to just buy five new tires lol. At least that's my excuse anyway.
I'm seeing the Falken AT3W's for $179 at Walmart, or online at Amazon. I called a nearby tires Plus, and they want it over 200 per tire. Does anyone have any other sources where I might get a good deal?

Try Discount Tire and NTB Locally, or Simple Tire and ship to a local installer.

Check the exact model number at Walmart carefully, Sometimes they sell Tires with the same model name that are made to Walmart's spec (read: not as good a tire). If the exact part number matches you're good, but sometimes it doesn't! Just checked the Falken... Walmart Part Number on the $179 is 00645890694023, Simple Tire is 28034782 at $187.

Strangely Enough, Walmart Also sells the 28034782 at $189.83.

Bottom line there is, I don't buy tires at Walmart, it's too much hassle to know what you're buying! :D

Last edited:
I got a deal through a local Tires Plus. They matched the best price I found online. They have ordered the tires and will be installing them next Wednesday.
With all that said, I wonder if anybody is interested in the tires I'm replacing. The dealer gave me a Jeep with a mishmash of tires lol
There are Crosswinds on the front, Sumitomos on the rear, and a Falken Wildpeak on the spare. The Crosswinds and the Falken are in almost new condition. The Sumitomos are slightly worn. All are 215/65 R17s.
If anyone is interested in any of these please make me an offer. I'll give away the Sumitomos. I'd like to get a little something out of the other tires since they're in excellent condition. I'm in Stafford, so you'd need to come get them.
If no one is interested, I'll have to let the tires ship dispose of them. I'm getting the new tires on the 23rd, so please let me know if anyone's interested no later than the 21st.

Back