Need some help/coaching

Time to phone a friend before giving up and going to a shop to finish a project.

97 TJ Sport

Replacing control arm and sway bar bushings has come to a grinding stop thanks to a few stuck bolts. I have all the parts, completed most of the upper arms (1 stuck bolt on RR). Have 1 lower arm removed (all other bolts are frozen). 1 remaining sway bar bolt is stuck (all other bushings replaced).

PB blaster and heat don’t seem to be helping at this point.

Looking for someone to look things over and suggestions before I start cutting or get it to a shop.

Burke/Fairfax Station area.

Beer and plenty of food options nearby to show my gratitude.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I’d cut them off, unless you’re planning on re-using them (in that case, Evapo-Rust FTW)

But there’s no sense going through all the aggravation of trying to get it off the “right” way when you’re just gonna toss it anyway. Break out the angle grinder and nut splitter and BFH, and be done with it. Same with heat - if you’re replacing the bushing anyway, cook that nut HOT. It’ll come off when you get it hot enough.

they make induction coil heaters to slip over rusted nuts to put a LOT of heat into them very quickly - much quicker/more localized than with a torch. They’re not cheap to buy though, but there’s lots of videos on YouTube about how to make your own using the transformer from a scrapped microwave oven.

But the time for playing nice on rusted bolts is over, lolz.

You can order OEM bolts (used) from Davey's Jeeps. I've done it a few times and they almost look new. $5 shipped when doing multiples for a bolt and flange/flag nut most of the time.

Ok, next/new request on the same project. And yes, it has taken this long to progress to where I am now…

Various nuts/bolts cut and replacements on hand. Bushings are all replaced. Rear end work is all done.

I am down to getting the front lower arms reinstalled. Of course the bolt holes are not lining up now.

I’ve tried a mix of ratcheting and lifting with no success.

Would anyone be available/willing to provide an extra set of hands/expertise to try finishing this up?

Pick your food/beverage for me to provide.

Thanks,
Mike

Back