Need comments on tire choices...

MsnMtns2

New Forum User
We have a 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which has QuadraLift and QuadraDrive II, plus a rear electronic locking differential and 4Low with Rock mode, which has proven fairly capable, though still not a Rubicon. We had a great time at Peters Mill Run as our first trail and everyone was really helpful and made for a really fun experience. However, that ride also exposed a glaring issue with our vehicle, which only had the manufacturers tires, which proved to be a deficit on the ride. So, along with the rock sliders we are adding, we have decided to put on some real AT tires. But the choices are tough to say the least, but we have narrowed it down to 2 options and here is where I am looking for some advice.
Option 1 is to stick with our 20" wheels and put on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers which seem to be quite capable for off roading and fairly decent for day to day driving. Also the cheaper option.
Option 2 is to replace the tires and wheels with 18" rims and the Falken AT3W Wildpeaks which have great reviews and seem to do very well both off and on road, plus have the 3-flake snowtire rating. While this option appears to be the much better one, I'm wondering is it worth the extra $2K to go this route?

Any thoughts, advice, observations, etc. will be most welcome.

Looking forward to doing some more offroading with everyone. Thanks.

I'm no expert but, I would go with the 18" wheels and Falken's. I'm assuming the tire size for both options is the same, so the smaller wheel makes for more sidewall area on the tire. When airing down you should get more surface area to grip on rocks, making the Jeep more capable off road. Plenty of experts in this club, so like you, I will be interested in learning more from them.

You are in the middle of a common dilemma. Large rims/no sidewall, smaller rims/more sidewall. If you see you taking your rig, which is quite capable, onto trails REQUIRING air down for flex/grip, go with the smaller rim. Make sure the size chosen will clear brake caliper etc.
The problem , as you've discovered, is that small amount of sidewall when aired down, leaves not enough tire to really flex over rocks.
The fact you've reached this point of discussion sort of shows you already know the answer.

Concur with what Joe has said. Larger rims are great on the road for handling, but not so great when it comes to being part of the off-road equation. One of my all time favorite tires is the BFG KO2. Long life expectancy and great performance on and off road summer to winter. They come in P metric sizes as well as standard SAE sizes (i.e. 31 10.50Rx17).

Small diameter rim allow for more sidewall flex and will save some trail rash on the rims. As Joe stated, brake caliper clearance is a concern when moving to a smaller rim. Matts Idea of looking at 17 inch rims is also a great idea if they will fit.

Quick google search shows available wheel sizes from 17 to 20 inch. Make sure the back spacing is correct to keep fender /tire clearance.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I really was going to go with the KO2's if I had to go down to the 18" wheels like R3 pointed out, but after watching probably too many reviews on tires, have decided to go with the Falken AT3W. See you all out on the trails again sometime soon. (At least the easier ones!)

Back