Metal Bumper with a winch for 2023 Rubicon Xtreme? Which one to get and where to get it?

If you have Youtube and a driveway you can have your old bumpers off and new ones on in a couple hours with very basic tools. As far as a winch, you'll get a lot of different opinions. Personally, I joined the Harbor Freight Inside Track club and got a 25% off any single purchase coupon and got a Badland Apex 12,000 Lb winch. Haven't used it a lot but the few things I have used it on I have had no issues.

I also agree with what others have said. Give it a bit to figure out exactly how you're going to be using your rig. That will tell you what you need.

Edited because I quoted the wrong poster.

Last edited:
As for installation, ask for help and tools/driveway/garage space and we can get it done. Unless you want to take it to a shop. I have never dealt with a JLU, so I cannot say it is super easy, but I am sure others have and can assist.
Will second this on the installation point. A member here came over and helped me install both my front and rear bumpers for my JLU in my apt. parking lot (I found bumpers were more annoying to transport somewhere else). With the right tools and some patience it wasn't bad. Definitely worth doing on your own.

I don't think I posted these spreadsheet snippets on the forum before. This is how I personally organize my thoughts and feel confident on when I buy something. Might as well share here as it could be helpful as a springboard for others.

I left out my commentary / "rankings" -- some of it comes down to personal choice on what you're doing on/off road, what features you want, are ok giving up, weight considerations, price, color, country of manufacture, strength, company reputation, branding, etc. For me personally, I cared a lot about optimizing weight to price (see the column pointing that out), not giving up features, and black/not much branding. My "spoiler" is I ended up going with aluminum front/steel rear as that was the best value to me.

Note these are somewhat incomplete; if I figured out what I wanted by doing this I stopped updating it. Prices are probably a tad out of date too, think they've gone up with general inflation over the course of the year.

Front Aluminum:
Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 7.36.14 PM.png

Front Steel: [I didn't work on this much. Full systems (bumper, winch plate, skid, bull bar) were often run the 120-150 pounds or more range and I didn't want that]

Rear Aluminum:
Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 7.12.08 PM.png

Rear Steel: (note only included were sorta light ones to begin with)
Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 7.11.20 PM.png

I don't have one for winches yet, as I haven't gotten a winch yet. I figured I'd researching those before Black Friday, and jump on one if there's a good deal (since I would like one in the next yearish, might as well get one on sale). If so I'm sure there will be a spreadsheet for that lol.

Thanks. Yes, I know there are lots of options online. I kidda like this one https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...umper-jeep-wrangler-jl/ful-width-q1000s-winch .

I am just not sure if this would be too heavy, and if I need heavy duty winch.

I will checkout Bull Run 4x4 / ORi.

Bumpers and winches aren’t difficult to install on a JL/JT and recommend throwing together a wrenching party. It will allow you to learn more about your vehicle and how to repair in the future if needed.

Still a work in progress, but if it helps for anyone else I started up a winch spreadsheet. Since it has my interests/needs in mind (e.g. my Jeep's weight, wanting a lightish package), it basically only includes synthetic 10k winches in a "mid-tier" price range (looking for something in between no-name Amazon and top of the line).

Can't say it's complete, mistake free, or I have anything in particular to endorse. It seems like higher waterproof rating/longer warranty is better; not sure how much a difference the line length/unloaded line speed matters since I've never had one before. Haven't price shopped too hard yet, but curious what Black Friday deals will be around.

Screenshot 2022-11-20 at 2.33.29 PM.png

Might just take you up on that. Just need to sell my new Gobi rack to pay for the bumper and winch.
I have this style front bumper available for very cheap.
Used-2012-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Call-of-Duty-MW3.jpg

It is a steel, winch ready bumper as you can see here.
Jeep-Wrangler_Call_of_Duty_MW3-2012-wallpaper.jpg

These are JKs pictured but the front bumper is interchangeable between JK and JL. The rear bumper is not.

You would still need to get a winch plate and a winch to go with it.

I have this style front bumper available for very cheap.
Used-2012-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Call-of-Duty-MW3.jpg

It is a steel, winch ready bumper as you can see here.
Jeep-Wrangler_Call_of_Duty_MW3-2012-wallpaper.jpg

These are JKs pictured but the front bumper is interchangeable between JK and JL. The rear bumper is not.

You would still need to get a winch plate and a winch to go with it.
Brother, eventually you are going to sell that fine bumper.

Black Friday sales are slowly starting to be put out there already. So far on the winches I posted above, the Rugged Ridge Trekker is down to $535 on Quadratec. Was probably in my top 3 ones I’m most interested in (being the lightest), along with Smittybilt X20 (longest line length/fastest line speed), and Superwinch (all-around package of features/warranty).

Just an FYI for anyone else looking at winches (or anything else really). Quadratec is doing sitewide sale today. In particular good deals are where the brand has a separate discount on there already...for example the Rugged Ridge Trekker 10k synthetic stacks discounts: a RR 15% discount on everything plus a Quad 10% discount, ends up being $494 before taxes.

Not from one of the big warehouses. Moat will sell it at MSRP vs a MAP pricing. A mom and pop owned direct dealer can beat the MSRP and still make money 99% of the time. Even of the 15% off deals.

I don't think I posted these spreadsheet snippets on the forum before. This is how I personally organize my thoughts and feel confident on when I buy something. Might as well share here as it could be helpful as a springboard for others.

I left out my commentary / "rankings" -- some of it comes down to personal choice on what you're doing on/off road, what features you want, are ok giving up, weight considerations, price, color, country of manufacture, strength, company reputation, branding, etc. For me personally, I cared a lot about optimizing weight to price (see the column pointing that out), not giving up features, and black/not much branding. My "spoiler" is I ended up going with aluminum front/steel rear as that was the best value to me.

Note these are somewhat incomplete; if I figured out what I wanted by doing this I stopped updating it. Prices are probably a tad out of date too, think they've gone up with general inflation over the course of the year.

Front Aluminum:
View attachment 5520

Front Steel: [I didn't work on this much. Full systems (bumper, winch plate, skid, bull bar) were often run the 120-150 pounds or more range and I didn't want that]

Rear Aluminum:View attachment 5521

Rear Steel: (note only included were sorta light ones to begin with)
View attachment 5522

I don't have one for winches yet, as I haven't gotten a winch yet. I figured I'd researching those before Black Friday, and jump on one if there's a good deal (since I would like one in the next yearish, might as well get one on sale). If so I'm sure there will be a spreadsheet for that lol.

What front bumper did you finally choose?

What front bumper did you finally choose?
I ended up going with the Rock Hard Patriot Full Width Aluminum. I wanted full width, black already (so I didn't have to pay someone to do it for me), the ability to use my stock fog lights. I also planned on doing a bull bar, winch plate, and skid so wanted to factor that into the full price/weight comparison (along with color) and that's already built into Rock Hard. All together that's 37lbs -- e.g. the Quadratec system ends up being 91lbs when you add it all together and at the time only RH $100ish more expensive than it when you add in all the pieces.

Aluminum of course is a lot more expensive than steel, but steel is also very heavy. Rock Hard's comparable package in steel is 137 lbs, and offerings in steel like the Mopar front bumper with get into the 120-140 range also when you add all the pieces. Adding a winch plus Rock Hard is basically the weight of the Quadratec aluminum system by itself, and quite a bit under steel offerings. Steel (especially mopar) you can probably get a lot cheaper as take off though.

When I compared it to every other aluminum front it had the best balance of features and weight to price for me. Last example, Rock Hard shipping is *very* expensive from their site for bumpers, but free from distributors like Northridge (like $275 to a distribution center or $400+ to get to my door, not to mention Northridge has a forum discount). Good chance I would've had to figure in the large shipping cost/ the fact that it comes on a pallet and I'd have no way to get that home easily without renting another vehicle if picked up. Definitely an example of why it's a good idea to have an end-to-end detailed comparison of all your options and optimize what you want.

Last edited:
I ended up going with the Rock Hard Patriot Full Width Aluminum. I wanted full width, black already (so I didn't have to pay someone to do it for me), the ability to use my stock fog lights. I also planned on doing a bull bar, winch plate, and skid so wanted to factor that into the full price/weight comparison (along with color) and that's already built into Rock Hard. All together that's 37lbs -- e.g. the Quadratec system ends up being 91lbs when you add it all together and at the time only RH $100ish more expensive than it when you add in all the pieces.

Aluminum of course is a lot more expensive than steel, but steel is also very heavy. Rock Hard's comparable package in steel is 137 lbs, and offerings in steel like the Mopar front bumper with get into the 120-140 range also when you add all the pieces. Adding a winch plus Rock Hard is basically the weight of the Quadratec aluminum system by itself, and quite a bit under steel offerings. Steel (especially mopar) you can probably get a lot cheaper as take off though.

When I compared it to every other aluminum front it had the best balance of features and weight to price for me. Last example, Rock Hard shipping is *very* expensive from their site for bumpers, but free from distributors like Northridge (like $275 to a distribution center or $400+ to get to my door, not to mention Northridge has a forum discount). Good chance I would've had to figure in the large shipping cost/ the fact that it comes on a pallet and I'd have no way to get that home easily without renting another vehicle if picked up. Definitely an example of why it's a good idea to have an end-to-end detailed comparison of all your options and optimize what you want.
Not a bad deal! To buy a new OEM steel "Rubicon" bumper, steel brush plate, winch plate and winch protector bar we are talking over $2,000.

Back