Memorial day weekend ride Uwhurrie 27-29 May

Added to Calendar: 05-27-23, 05-28-23, 05-29-23

I’m in campsite 14 will be me and my wife and 2 dogs. If you want to camp decide now. There wasn’t much to choose from tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those "thinking" or in the "likely" catagory, make you camping reservations soon. Remember this is Memorial Day Weekend and the camp ground is likely to fill up pretty fast.
bump.

I did Dickey Bell back on 3 December 2022 Conditions were fairly dry, temps in the 50’s, mostly sunny.

The climb section of the trail is pretty eroded towards the top, especially on the far right line. I ran up the lower part, crossed over at the middle, and took the left line the rest of the way up. I was solo, with another 700 miles and 3 more BOH trails ahead of me in the next 4 days, so I was playing it very, very cautiously. I stopped and scouted several times on the left line, and even then it was still challenging. Didn’t need to winch anywhere, but definitely had to be meticulous about picking the line. Locked the rear but left front open because had to quite a bit of tight steering for the line.

The right line on the other side from me looked un-runnable for my Jeep (JKUR with 2.5” on 33’s). Big, angled, undercut ledge near the top, with a lip that I’m sure I would’ve hung on even if I managed to get my front tires over it.

Other than the climb, the rest of Dickey Bell is just a nice drive in the woods with some fun little spots to play on. But the climb is pretty challenging in a stockish Jeep.

Looks like we have a wide variety of capable rigs and drive talent on this trip. Appreciate the trail report and I am sure that by May the trails will have undergone another change. I am not sure how the weather ( read rain) affects the area trails, I am sure that 1) we will have a good time and 2) there will be stories to tell.

Challenge accepted winches at the ready.

Note: While looking up videos of the area I did find one that did a roll over recovery.... They dragged the rig on it side down the chute and then righted..... I might have done the recovery a bit different to minimize damage.

Thanks for the recon.

The 14 minute mark is the recovery....

Looks like we have a wide variety of capable rigs and drive talent on this trip. Appreciate the trail report and I am sure that by May the trails will have undergone another change. I am not sure how the weather ( read rain) affects the area trails, I am sure that 1) we will have a good time and 2) there will be stories to tell.

Challenge accepted winches at the ready.

Note: While looking up videos of the area I did find one that did a roll over recovery.... They dragged the rig on it side down the chute and then righted..... I might have done the recovery a bit different to minimize damage.

Thanks for the recon.
Uwahrrie has lots of clay on the trail surface. Much more so than anywhere in GWNF or RC. It will definitely be slick and slippery in the rain. Closest thing I‘d compare it to locally would be the south end of Peters Mill trail, the little section of clay you pass through before you get to the little “climb” ledge if you’re running south to north. There’s a stretch of about a hundred yards where the trail surface is packed red clay with some rolling lumps across the trail. Those get a little slippery in the rain. Uwharrie trails are about 90% that kind of surface.

Uwahrrie has lots of clay on the trail surface. Much more so than anywhere in GWNF or RC. It will definitely be slick and slippery in the rain. Closest thing I‘d compare it to locally would be the south end of Peters Mill trail, the little section of clay you pass through before you get to the little “climb” ledge if you’re running south to north. There’s a stretch of about a hundred yards where the trail surface is packed red clay with some rolling lumps across the trail. Those get a little slippery in the rain. Uwharrie trails are about 90% that kind of surface.
Sounds like a great place to test the new suspension!

subscribed.... Trying to get the fuel injection going or a new "off road" carb to support such activities.

Reactions: R3
Let me know if there is any room left for one more on this trip!

Thought I was busy this weekend, turns out I had the dates wrong.

Good afternoon all. @KebertXela lodging or camping needs to be sorted out. We are at Arrowhead camp ground and I think NOVA is most of the camp ground right now. If you are up for the run come on down and have some fun.

Red Jeep is leaving King George area around 1100 Fridayto arrive around 1530-1700. anyone who wants to tag along let me know.

Just got an email reminder that it's 1 month away.
Be trucking down US301 to Interstate 95 ( Exit 104) and then heading south from there if you want to tag up at 104 and convoy down.

I won’t hit 95 until Richmond but I’ll try to leave close to the same arrival time and catch up with you. My rig maxes out at 70mph now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be poking down the road with trailer in tow.

Likely run vhf 161.625 and gmrs 15
Just a shameless plug for the upcoming ride.

Transit freqs listed above I have the capability RX/TX on either and monitor both.

Trail wise Likely drop down to one of the lo power freqs Ch 4

We bought our passes at "The Eldorado Outpost" Which is the closest thing to the campground for just about any of the normal supplies you might need as well., and quite a few supplies and oddities you don't need to:)
The out post looks like a good rally point for the morning for those who are lodging near by.

Back