Maintenance question/s

GOOSE3

Member 2024
Hey guys,

I am at 60k miles and I as I started thinking about what I need to do, I realized that I actually don't know what's required for my JK. What is the standard for service, or what do you all do? Plugs, coils, PCV.... Tire rotation and oil are part of my normal service, so I am thinking about the bigger service work. I am not having any issues, but want to be prepared when the time comes.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

For what its worth, here is what dealership suggests.
jk.png

Hey guys,

I am at 60k miles and I as I started thinking about what I need to do, I realized that I actually don't know what's required for my JK. What is the standard for service, or what do you all do? Plugs, coils, PCV.... Tire rotation and oil are part of my normal service, so I am thinking about the bigger service work. I am not having any issues, but want to be prepared when the time comes.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
If you have your vehicle registered on Mopar.com, you can look up all kinds of stuff including maintenance schedules/intervals. Example in my next post.

My jk is an automatic and I change the transmission fluid and filter every 40k miles.

I let my plugs go until 88k miles. My engine started ticking and I replaced all the rockers and lifters and changed the plugs then. They probably could have made it another 25k miles but it’s quite a chore on the 3.6 so I replaced them while it was apart.

The oil cooler is a known problem and I’ve replaced mine once. Dorman makes an aluminum version that is superior to the plastic mopar version. It was out of stock so I went with mopar so I’m sure I’ll eventually replace it again. If you’re happy with the motor I would suggest buying a spare or ordering the Dorman for the spare if you can afford it.

Coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid all have a life and I’d go with their recommended life span. If you don’t know how old the fluid is I would change it and then you can keep up with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replace Brake fluid every two years. (Brake Fluid is Hygroscopic, so this is time based rather than mileage based)

Inspect all U-Joints, Drive Shaft CVs and Suspension Ball Joints annually or more frequently if used offroad or oversize tires installed.

Replace Brake fluid every two years. (Brake Fluid is Hygroscopic, so this is time based rather than mileage based)

Inspect all U-Joints, Drive Shaft CVs and Suspension Ball Joints annually or more frequently if used offroad or oversize tires installed.

Is the brake fluid change just a drain and fill like an oil change? Or would you recommend a shop doing it?

I do it by doing a full brake bleed, do every bleeder until the fluid comes through clean and new.. That's usually good enough to make sure all the water is out of the system.

Shops will actually do a flush if you want to it to be thorough.

I do it by doing a full brake bleed, do every bleeder until the fluid comes through clean and new.. That's usually good enough to make sure all the water is out of the system.

So if your jeeps say a 95 that you've had for say 11 years and never done that you should right?

At least I know I've had all new fluid when I've broken lines

Is the brake fluid change just a drain and fill like an oil change? Or would you recommend a shop doing it?
Back in the bad old days you just bled your brakes and replaced the fluid but with antilock brakes and traction control you cant replace all the fluid with just brake bleeding so you need special equipment to flush and bleed the complete system. Mike its not just drain and fill. You need either a friend to pump the brakes or a brake bleeder system or just have shop do it with their system. Used to be pretty good a bleeing brakes and replacing fluid back when I did track days and fluid was replaced before .every event. Had a friend pump the brakes and rotated fluids between ATE Gold and Blue. Damn shame ATE Blue is no longer DOT approved. Not that DOT approval for brake fluid means a hell of lot. Mike if you bleed your brakes use a quality brake fluid with a high wet boiling point. DOT4 non synthetic please.

Dave Apker

Its not just moisture but more importantly air.

Dave Apker

With Jeeps J Scan can activate the ABS pump. no need for special equipment just another body to operate teh brakes while you run the bleeder screw.

Back