Lift question

So after spending a while reading more about lifting my jk and watching videos on most I have realized I am probably going to have an issue with back spacing with my factory wheels. I really like the wheels that came on my Willy’s package but am not finding much info on lifts that allow for as much as these wheels use. That leads me to wheel spacers and I’m not sure how I feel about using those. Does anyone here use wheel spacers? Are they safe or should I just buy new wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reached out to jks and they said my wheels would be fine. I am just reading where factory wheels can be an issue and curious if anyone has had any issues after installing a lift.

I've been using spacers on mine since I lifted it. Used them with the factory wheels for a while and kept them with the AEVs I have now because I'm not sure the wheels will clear my upgraded steering. Never had a problem. Bought quality spidertrax spacers and followed the install instructions. Probably have 25 thousand miles on them and I've wheeled it fairly hard.

Ok guys I am still reading around and I think I am ready to pull the trigger on a couple items this week I just want to ask another recommendation. I have decided on the jks 2.5” jventure lift. I am going with this lift because of reviews and after reaching out to jks they said my wheels and tires would work for now. I plan on getting some new wheels and 35s in a few months and a regear with a new upgraded lsd in the rear. This round I plan on lifting and replacing all the control arms with quality adjustable ones. From what I am reading for best ride quality on and off road seems to be metalcloak. I am curious what others are running and if there are any that you wouldn’t recommend or would. Thanks again guys and sorry for all the questions.

Check out thoughts on mods part dux.. Lots of good info without aligning a brand.

I started with metal cloak...what they don't tell you is the control arm bushing need to be disassembled and lubed every 6-12 months. I ran one of their suspension systems..had some issues and had issue with the jam nuts loosening after every weekend run.

Tubing they use flexes. If you have handling issues they can be magnified. In my case the ride and handling was horrible. Removed the system in favor of a more robust suspension system from EVO.

It has been my experience that people latch on to a company and taught it as the end all cure all.

Cheers

Last edited:
Check out thoughts on mods part dux.. Lots of good info without aligning a brand.

I started with metal cloak...what they don't tell you is the control arm bushing need to be disassembled and lubed every 6-12 months. I ran one of their suspension systems..had some issues and had issue with the jam nuts loosening after every weekend run.

Tuning they use flexes. If you have handling issues they can be magnified. In my case the ride and handling was horrible. Removed the system in favor of a more robust suspension system from EVO.

It has been my experience that people latch on to a company and taught it as the end all cure all.

Cheers

What system are you using? I am open to suggestions and will look into it. Thanks again for the input.

For a lot of reasons I wanted a better ride quality and a more solid feel on the road.
To this end I went with EVO manufacturing long arm system.

I have read your article multiple times and it is what has lead me to realizing what I want to do with my Jeep. I am trying to upgrade in phases so I don’t spend a huge amount of money at once and freak my wife out. I have the money saved to put into this project since I have had so much fun already by spending so little and I have my wife onboard to hit harder trails. I have been reading hours every day trying to educate myself on products and read peoples opinions. I have reached out to multiple manufacturers. I thought lift with control arms first would be a starting point. Once she sees how funny it looks on 32s I can get tires and gears. Then axles and DS. Im pretty happy on my 32” KM2 so I know 35s will be big enough until we get a JLU so I’m only getting a 2.5” lift. I know I can use geometry brackets to fix most of my geometry but I’d rather upgrade the control arms to something better and I’m not lazy so I don’t mind maint. The main thing that has kept me on the jks lift if the backspacing and I’m not totally against getting wheel spacers for a limited time. But I’ll be honest it has kept me from considering a lot of different brands. I really like my tires and rims but I feel like they aren’t going to be around much longer. But to get back to topic I am hoping to only buy one set of control arms but that may be unrealistic also. I’ve looked at jks Clayton RK and even some of the cheaper ones to read reviews. I guess I’m just hoping someone says buys this it’s been great for me.

............ I guess I’m just hoping someone says buys this it’s been great for me.

Ask 12 people this question and you'll get 15 different answers.

The hardest part about doing a lift is doing it in stages. It kinda all wants to be done at once. I tried doing the same thing which is why i am currently using wheel spacers until i can find a nice set of wheels with the correct back spacing in my price range. Of course i just had an issue with the wheel studs/lug nuts on one of them this past weekend on the trail. Dont really know why or what happened but ended up with 3 missing lug nuts and 2 broken off wheel studs. Was it because it was a wheel spacer? i don't know. It may have been because they were long bullet shaped lug nuts that stuck out too far and caught on rocks. If you can, i would include the wheels as part of the lift. Use your current tires mounted on the new wheels then when she says it looks funny you can go bigger tires. It will also not limit you to a lift that works with stock wheels and you wont have to worry about the unknowns with wheel spacers.

better to bite the bullet before you get on the trail then have to bite it when on the trail.

Thank you. I will look for a set of rims next and see what i can find. Thank you for your input. I appreciate all of it.

i have the MC 2.5 Game changer. my 31s and wheels looked hilarious on the lift, hence my profile pic. i did get some rubbing with the zero back spacing but i knew the rig enough that i was able to not do it or not turn as hard. just got 35s and the Pro Comp 89s at the end of last month. combine all that now and it rides like a dream.

i will have to check out what rob said about cleaning the bushings out every 6-12 months as this is the first time i have read that. as for the jam nuts, i have not had any issues with mine loosening up. i check everything about once a month anyways just to be sure. had the guys at Dirt Nerds check it out when i did my tires and all was good. i installed it myself back in nov so a good 6+ months including trails and all seems fine.

I'm running the Metal Cloak 3.5 Game Changer.... What Rob says about the control arm bushings is accurate, If you wheel it in harsh conditions, you should be checking those Duroflex Joints on a regular basis, If you have a pavement princess, probably grease them annually, and disassemble/clean at 2 years. I've not had problems with the Arm Jam Nuts backing off, But I Have had the Trackbar Jam Nut back off...

So I found a really good deal on a set of wheels that are 17x8. From what I am reading for a 35” tire 8.5 is recommended. I am reading where people use the 8” wide wheel and don’t have issues it just causes the tire to be wider. Anyone running like this or see any issues. Or should I just look for a 17x9?

So I found a really good deal on a set of wheels that are 17x8. From what I am reading for a 35” tire 8.5 is recommended. I am reading where people use the 8” wide wheel and don’t have issues it just causes the tire to be wider. Anyone running like this or see any issues. Or should I just look for a 17x9?

This depends on the width of the tire you are putting on it. Depending on how wide the tire is, you may need to use a wider wheel.

I thought that is probably why they are so cheap. I will look for a wider wheel it seems like the way to go for more options.

I often run wheels that are less that the recommended width, it helps keep the bead seated when you air down, But there are definitely negatives to it, because it changes the shape of the contact patch, you have to run a lower pressure all the time, or you'll where the center of the tire out faster.

You definitely need to do a 'chalk test' to find the right pressure to run to get the best wear out of the tires when running narrow rims.

Also, a lot of shops will refuse to mount a tire on a rim that is narrower than the manufacturer's recommendations.

Reactions: R3
Suspension system...tend to be designed for the application but not all.

Control arms .. thicker tubing and bigger tubing tend to flex much less

Control arm ends, serviceable on the rig make longevity much easier to attain.

Relocation brackets are nightmares! Then are not strong enough to resist flex and bend and the contribute bad handling and death wobble.

I have to agree with @JustOnlyME a suspension system should be done all at once as everything is interconnected and dependent.

A good suspension system runs $5000-$10,000. Yes lots of money, but, buy once, cry once, drive happy for a long time.

Track bars, tie rod, drag links all need to be factored in with the suspension system.

Many will say you don't have to spend big bucks however, you get what you pay for

Many looking to "lift" their jeep don't understand what all is affected. Suspension systems try to look at the whole picture.... The best suspension guy in the area is AK Waltney at Chaos Fab Shop. Suspension is his thing. Great resource.

Good luck with your build.

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:
Thank you again for your input. I will give him a call and see what we can figure out. I kind of figured I would be in that price range.

Reactions: R3
Thank you again for your input. I will give him a call and see what we can figure out. I kind of figured I would be in that price range.

AK is at VIR thru Monday for hyperfest. If you are up for a ride come down and visit. I will introduce you and try to get you in one of the built rigs.

Cheers

I am at the beach for my wife’s birthday until tomorrow. Will be free all day Friday

Back