JL Rubicon Discoveries

Does anyone play the TPS Game or MPG Game? Built-in feature of all JK/JLs. Spent 6 hours in the Jeep today picking up our youngest at BWI. Most of that time was engaged in either the TPS or MPG game. If anyone didn't realize, the traffic really sucks around here. Got a lot of serious shifting practice done. I am amazed with watching tire pressures! Sunny side of the Jeep is always 3 lbs. higher than the darkside. Morning is 6 lbs. less than evening. I can only imagine what 40s are like...

Another note, what is the real scoop on max tire size for a stock JL Rubicon? What is the lift difference between a Rubicon and normal Wrangler? What size lift would I need to run 37s?
Rubi has higher fenders that gives another inch or 2 of clearance. Also the Dana 44s add some strength. I run 37s on a 2.5" lift in the front and a 2" in the rear. I do find higher pressure is way better MPG but the ride quality is pretty bad. BR4X4 is on deck to throw some gears in soon to hopefully increase my MPG slightly.

Rubi has higher fenders that gives another inch or 2 of clearance. Also the Dana 44s add some strength. I run 37s on a 2.5" lift in the front and a 2" in the rear. I do find higher pressure is way better MPG but the ride quality is pretty bad. BR4X4 is on deck to throw some gears in soon to hopefully increase my MPG slightly.
I thought the Rubicon had taller springs included? Averaged 19.2 MPG in at least 100 miles of stop-n-go traffic of a 200 mile trip. Did I already say the traffic around here really sucks? Yeah, embrace the suck. Did get to spend 2 hours with a wonderful kid chattering faster than I could drive :).

I did discover a new interesting feature of the Rubicon today:

SoS.jpg

The SOS button is just above the Off-Road Page. So? Don't try selecting Off-Road Page while bouncing down the trail. I did place an SOS call but manically got it shutdown before getting grilled by Jeep 5-OH!

On Monday I bought a Yaesu FTM-400 XDR. I talked to a sales-person at HRO today and got a Diamond K412SNMO Antenna mount and a Diamond NR-770HBNMO Antenna. Received the Japanese built radio and it is a thing of beauty! Plan on mounting the antenna here:

1669936676809.png

Will route the cables around windshield frame and mount the head-unit on my 67 Design rail. Now trying to figure the perfect mount for the radio itself.

As a follow on, Purchased JCR Overhead Molle Panel for a clean radio mount. Wanted to use pre-existing speaker built into the radio body. Also, The radio body needs a 20 cm gap from all things cyber-electric to prevent gremlin attacks. I can hang the Mic on the panel.

Last edited:
Back