Jk brakes grinding

Mikeyswillys

Member 2024
VA4WDA
So I got my new radio in the mail and I jumped in the Jeep to take a ride to the hardware store to get some bolts. Put my windows down since it’s in the 70s today. As I was driving down the block I started hearing a grinding sound. When I hit the brakes it gets louder. The rotors and brakes have maybe 10k miles on them. I jacked up the Jeep and took the drivers side rear wheel off and realized I only had my 3/8 drawer of tools and didnt have the tools on me to take the caliper off. While in there I rotated the rotor back and forth and it definitely made the sound while moving. I replaced all my brakes from oem at 88k miles. The brakes still had maybe 80% pad left in them but the rears were making some weird groves in the rotors so I decided to replace them all. I am going to pick up the rest of my tools tomorrow and take them back apart and re grease the slide pins. I am going to attach a photo of my rotor. The groves are starting to come back. The Jeep doesn’t get driven too often and had been sitting for a week since last driven. I would have thought it would have went away by the time i drove a few miles using brakes.
350d6f4798ebfe40fdffc23621ffc0a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My left rear caliper was frozen at about 65000 miles. Couldn't figure out what was robbing power on acceleration, but it was the stuck caliper. Mine get really grindy from dust really easily. Check the ebrake components too.

Ok so I went back out and jacked it back up pulled the caliper and the pins were fine. Full of grease. I went ahead and cleaned them and greased them again. As I was putting my wheel back on i took the time to put some force on it and it moves around a lot. I think it’s time for new wheel bearings. What do you think?

E brake...I side the rear rotor.

I will take it all back apart and take the rotor off. I’ve prob only set the e brake a dozen times maybe. I have an automatic and it’s not a habit I ever got into driving an automatic. Anything in particular I should look for? It’s been about 2 years since I replaced the rotors but the e brake looked brand new when I last had it open.

Could be, but I don't know if that movement would contribute to the grooves in the rotor. Sorry I didn't thoroughly read the part about the re-apearing grooves. I assume there was nothing caught in the pads, like a stone or bit of broken material? Did the grinding stay after you put it all back together?

I just look for broken springs, wear marks where they shouldn't be, dirt accumulation, even wear across the shoes. It's amazing how noisy these things get when dust and grit accumulate in the brakes.

The pads looked fine. The rotors looked fine also besides the groves on both rear. After putting it back together and greasing the pins on the driver side I did take it around the block and the sound was still there. The sound definitely changes when I press the brakes you can tell it’s something in there. Tomorrow I will take off the passenger side rear and pull the rotor. I changed my brakes and rotors originally because the brakes seemed to not be wearing as much as the rotors.

I went out and took the rotor off to check out my emergency brake setup. Everything with the brakes looks fine except there looks like there is a lot of oil and dirt buildup inside. I can pull on the hub and there is about a 1/16 of play maybe where the bearing is. My thoughts are the oil could have came from the bearings or I have inner axle seal leak. Here are some pics of what I see. Thanks for all the good direction so far!
49ffc011ccc511858bd5362b33549f55.jpg

check
I went out and took the rotor off to check out my emergency brake setup. Everything with the brakes looks fine except there looks like there is a lot of oil and dirt buildup inside. I can pull on the hub and there is about a 1/16 of play maybe where the bearing is. My thoughts are the oil could have came from the bearings or I have inner axle seal leak. Here are some pics of what I see. Thanks for all the good direction so far!
49ffc011ccc511858bd5362b33549f55.jpg

check for play up and down. also rotate the axle while it is apart and listen/feel for the bearing if it is going bad.

Many times there will be trash in the e-brake drum that can cause a grinding noise.

Silly thought check the front wheels as well, diagnosing a sound in the drive train can be a challenge.

Took the front off and everything feels good and tight up there. Brakes hardly worn slide pins re greased rotors beautiful and even wear. Going to jack up the rear again and take the passenger side off and see how it looks. I will let ya know what I find. Thanks again for reading this and providing input

So the passenger side rear brakes fell apart in my hands. Looks like a back side clip is gone. The back side of the rotor is sightly rougher. I’m going to assume this was the issue. Gotta head to the parts store to gets some things before I put it back together.
9330bf1a063950b4c97895baee751f64.jpg

Yeah. Got it all buttoned up and tested. That top clip on the back side really didn’t want to clip into place. I may have to take a dremel to the caliper to get it to seat all the way down. I’m going to assume over time it will break again and fall out. I’m positive I put them all back in when I changed my brakes the last time. Has anyone ever seen one of those hardware clips break and come out before?

Back