Jeep Jamboree

It is my understanding that their rig requirements are less about what is actually required to do the trail and more about the logistics of taking a group of 40 Jeeps down a trail with varying driver experience and skill with the least amount of winching, rock stacking, and multiple attempts at an obstacle possible.

RVAWJ said:
It is my understanding that their rig requirements are less about what is actually required to do the trail and more about the logistics of taking a group of 40 Jeeps down a trail with varying driver experience and skill with the least amount of winching, rock stacking, and multiple attempts at an obstacle possible.

Yeah...maybe.  I have only been to one, so dont want to say for sure one way or another.  The one I went to this year, required larger tires and at least one locker only for the two hardest trails.  While I would not say the locker was absolutely necessary for a good driver, I could understand why they would want someone to at least have that equipment since they may or may not be overly experienced.
That said, I did notice that at least one of the events (Catskills) required lockers and a passenger for all.  I cant imagine that all their trails require a locker.

Trail requirements are likely based on  past experience.  Lower NY State  can be very muddy and rocky. Having lockers to  dig thru a mud hole keep the group going as a whole. Add  10 minutes a rig to  pull or winch thru a obstacle x 40 quickly adds up to a long day sitting and very little wheeling.  Remember this is geared at the least capable  rig/driver/knowledge  and worse case. If the run is planned that way and the participants all  function above the plan it turns into a great day.

This is something I try to address on my rides,  if the run is a  Black Red run, and you want to bring a Stock  Sport 4 door  you are not going to have a good time and the group is going to be weighed down working one rig thru the day. That said I have had some amazing drivers with some fairly stock rigs run some very difficult trails well outside of their comfort zone and do very well. So in small groups  it is not so much a challenge  when you have a large group 20+ every little  problem adds up to a long day.

There is a balance between keeping the group going and the group having fun.  If the group is into  the Team concept, then it becomes a lot of fun, hard to do with 40 rig on 1 trail. If the team concept  doesn't exist  it doesn't matter if there are only a few rigs  the day will be long and not so fun.

In the past we have put 20+ rigs in two groups up Crawl Daddy at Rausch.  Took several hours to get the entire group up 1 short trail.  That day all had fun btu due to the ability to watch participate and learn.

Mine done at 1218h as well. Looks like club be well represented.

***update*** got back on site to check out another trip and Penns was on waitlist by 1:19 pm!!

If anyone did not get into this one and still wants to do one, there is a Gateway to the Cumberlands (in KY) that is not too far away and there is another, Coal Mountain (at AOAA) in PA.  I went by myself this past year and met a lot of cool people.

I'm new here, but I signed up for a bunch. Looking forward to meeting folks!

Penn's Woods
Coal Mountain
Catskills
Maine Mountains
Gateway to Cumberlands

Fearless said:
I'm new here, but I signed up for a bunch. Looking forward to meeting folks!

Penn's Woods
Coal Mountain
Catskills
Maine Mountains
Gateway to Cumberlands

Thats awesome.  Welcome.  Look forward to meeting you. 
We should have a good group at Penn's Woods.  I look forward to hearing your experience at some of the others.

I am signed up for Gateway to the Cumberlands next October in Kentucky.  Will represent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I'm reviving a dead thread... Just wanted to throw out I am also signed up for the Coal Mountain Jamboree. I went last year too and had a great time.

Love to do this trip

maybe next year?

Scott,

I have a single room suite in the Pitt at Bradford dorm from June 23-26. Single rooms are $140/night and doubles are $153/night. I booked the first day because my back doesn’t like to drive for 6 hours and then sleep on the ground. Not sure what the availability is now.

Chuck

I haven’t booked yet, but was considering the on campus option. Should probably get in that :p

I called and booked with the campus today.

They do have parking for trailers if you are towing, and it sounds like there are around 30-40 more suites remaining. So not a huge rush to book yet.

It was super painless to book btw, just call 814.362.0990

I called and booked with the campus today.

They do have parking for trailers if you are towing, and it sounds like there are around 30-40 more suites remaining. So not a huge rush to book yet.

It was super painless to book btw, just call 814.362.0990
Thanks... I still need to do that. Did you pair up with anyone? Or did you just reserved both parts of the room?

Back