Honest opinion: Bad enough to fail?

Looking for an honest opinion about this control arm bushing on my mom's highlander. Usually I'd just replace it, but its a massive job on this vehicle. Do you think this is bad enough to fail VA safety? The vehicle is not a primary driver and only driven within her neighborhood, so I'm not inclined to remove the motor mounts to replace it. Thanks!

5OdQJAZ.jpeg

If you are asking the question, you know the answer.

Just asking because the inspector failed it based on these, but I disagree. Just want to know if I'm being biased here. I left that bit out of the first post hoping not to sway peoples opinions on it.

It mom's car... The joint is failing ...time to replace to keep mom safe.

Yeah, I'd fail that sucker in a heart beat too.

How much is the whole control arm? Might be worth it to avoid the hassle of swapping just the bushing....

Yeah, I'd fail that sucker in a heart beat too.

How much is the whole control arm? Might be worth it to avoid the hassle of swapping just the bushing....
Even with no play in it? I always thought the guideline was based more on movement in the bushing than visual inspection. Either way, I'd do both L&R control arms. Unfortunately toyota put the control arm bolt head under the engine mounts on each side, so it requires the engine to be jacked up (removed, 11 hr shop time according to toyota) just to get the arm bolt out. Not arguing that they need to be done, just surprised that this constitutes an inspection failure, but that's why I came here to ask other opinions on it

Even more so with no play in it... When it does move, It's probably ripping rather than flexing....
Sorry, didn't mean no play at all, meant no lateral abnormal movement. the rubber is still supple, surprisingly. Oh well, I guess I need to read up on the inspection guidelines. Thanks!

Not looking to argue or battle, just trying to understand. Thanks for the link- its been awhile since I've had to reference it. TJ stuff is so much easier to work on 😂

18. Any front or rear axle or suspension positioning parts are cracked, broken, loose, worn, bent or missing, resulting in shifting of an axle from the normal position. Any control arm or suspension positioning part using bushings for control, support and normal functioning is missing the bushing, or the bushing is worn to the extent that the component can be moved by hand along the axis of the component.

If there is no play in the bushing I’d let it go. I’ve seen plenty like that or worse that get passed.

Just fix the broken stuff or buy a new rig....

As a state inspector I can tell you that passes as long as there’s no play. You could always go to another inspection station or call state police office for the area you’re in. Whatever you do don’t remove the rejection sticker

As a state inspector I can tell you that passes as long as there’s no play. You could always go to another inspection station or call state police office for the area you’re in. Whatever you do don’t remove the rejection sticker
Just curious- why the warning on removing the rejection sticker? I haven't, but had considered it before a re-inspection

Technically only an inspector or trooper can remove it. So in a case like yours you become the bad guy for removing state property. But in the end it doesn’t matter because when an inspector signs into the VSP data base to fill out an inspection sticker all the vehicles info (vin, license plate etc.) gets entered into the system along with the sticker serial number and month insert number. So if the vehicle were to fail inspection again the system will not allow another rejection sticker to be issued to the vehicle.

Technically only an inspector or trooper can remove it. So in a case like yours you become the bad guy for removing state property. But in the end it doesn’t matter because when an inspector signs into the VSP data base to fill out an inspection sticker all the vehicles info (vin, license plate etc.) gets entered into the system along with the sticker serial number and month insert number. So if the vehicle were to fail inspection again the system will not allow another rejection sticker to be issued to the vehicle.
Thank you for the insight!

Just an update: Thanks to the opinions here I opted to have the local state trooper come by and inspect it. After 45 minutes of scrutiny on the lift, VSP agreed that the failure was not justified and passed the vehicle. Zero play in the bushing with a pry bar. Thanks guys!

Back