Helping a Newbie

Anyone mechanically inclined and open to helping a newbie out? I've got an '02 TJ that I'm the third owner of and it's near the 100k mile mark so I'd like to do some maintenance as well as resolve some issues it has. However, I've done little to no car work (really only changing oil) so not sure what actually needs to be done or what to buy and would love some advice before moving forward. I'm kind of envisioning the first meetup to be guiding me into how to identify the problem and what needs to be done to resolve it. Then at a future date doing an actual wrenching party to guide me through the work.

I'll list out some issues and what I think from what little I know. A lot of it I could easily pay someone to do but I'd really love to learn how to do this kind of work on my own.

Known Issues:
  • Steering is loose and straight tires don't correlate to straight steering wheel
    • I have no clue what could cause the loose steering. I've got a good 10 degrees were I turn the wheel without the tires changing. From what I've read online it could be anything from the steering box to the linkages underneath
    • The steering wheel not be straight with the tires seems like it could be a side effect from the loose steering so hopefully an alignment would help (really not sure about this one)
  • Differential cover leaks
    • Looks like I've got a very minor leak on both the front and rear diff covers
Maintenance (compiled from online research):
  • Replace diff fluids and inspect gears
  • Replace transfer case fluid
  • Replace transmission fluid
  • Inspect all hoses/belts and replace if needed
  • Inspect ball joints, u-joints, etc
  • Cooling system overhaul (seems like common recommendation online and found this link)
  • Replace O2 sensors
  • Replace spark plugs and inspect wiring

Some additional info: I'm located in the Ashburn area. I've got some tools but its by no means an ideal mechanic shop. Thanks in advance for any and all insight!

We have a lot of folks up in that area and I am sure for a few pizzas and cold ones, someone will be happy to help out. I know I have learned a lot from YouTube videos too, just as another good source.

I am willing to assist. I am over by the Ashburn Library and Stone Bridge HS. The diff covers are an easy job. As are the fluid changes. The O2 sensors will need many applications of penetrating oil (PB Blaster or the like) before attempting to remove them. Are you getting codes for the sensors?

Anyone mechanically inclined and open to helping a newbie out? I've got an '02 TJ that I'm the third owner of and it's near the 100k mile mark so I'd like to do some maintenance as well as resolve some issues it has. However, I've done little to no car work (really only changing oil) so not sure what actually needs to be done or what to buy and would love some advice before moving forward. I'm kind of envisioning the first meetup to be guiding me into how to identify the problem and what needs to be done to resolve it. Then at a future date doing an actual wrenching party to guide me through the work.

I'll list out some issues and what I think from what little I know. A lot of it I could easily pay someone to do but I'd really love to learn how to do this kind of work on my own.

Known Issues:
  • Steering is loose and straight tires don't correlate to straight steering wheel
    • I have no clue what could cause the loose steering. I've got a good 10 degrees were I turn the wheel without the tires changing. From what I've read online it could be anything from the steering box to the linkages underneath
    • The steering wheel not be straight with the tires seems like it could be a side effect from the loose steering so hopefully an alignment would help (really not sure about this one)
  • Differential cover leaks
    • Looks like I've got a very minor leak on both the front and rear diff covers
Maintenance (compiled from online research):
  • Replace diff fluids and inspect gears
  • Replace transfer case fluid
  • Replace transmission fluid
  • Inspect all hoses/belts and replace if needed
  • Inspect ball joints, u-joints, etc
  • Cooling system overhaul (seems like common recommendation online and found this link)
  • Replace O2 sensors
  • Replace spark plugs and inspect wiring

Some additional info: I'm located in the Ashburn area. I've got some tools but its by no means an ideal mechanic shop. Thanks in advance for any and all insight!
If you replace the diff fluid I would recommend lube locker gaskets. They are a little more expensive but they can be reused and save time for your next fluid change when you don’t have to clean off silicone. I have used them for years on various vehicles with no leaks.

O2 sensors are not too bad on the 4.0. I have a O2 sensor socket if you would like to use it.

For the transfer case fluid a small hand pump can be useful for the fill.

I’d be down to help whenever you need it.

I am willing to assist. I am over by the Ashburn Library and Stone Bridge HS. The diff covers are an easy job. As are the fluid changes. The O2 sensors will need many applications of penetrating oil (PB Blaster or the like) before attempting to remove them. Are you getting codes for the sensors?
Thanks for the offer! I'm near the Ashburn metro stop so you're super close.

I'm not getting any codes. Just reading online people seemed to encourage replacing the O2 sensors as regular maintenance. Would love to hear some other thoughts on this though.

If you replace the diff fluid I would recommend lube locker gaskets. They are a little more expensive but they can be reused and save time for your next fluid change when you don’t have to clean off silicone. I have used them for years on various vehicles with no leaks.

O2 sensors are not too bad on the 4.0. I have a O2 sensor socket if you would like to use it.

For the transfer case fluid a small hand pump can be useful for the fill.

I’d be down to help whenever you need it.
I was definitely looking at the lube locker gaskets since a lot of people seemed to recommend them online. Thanks for the offer!

@mopar31898 @Gr8Dain would yall be interested in meeting up sometime in the next few weeks? Open to either hosting or meeting at one of y'alls to inspect the jeep to get your thoughts on what work to do before I start buying things. I can bring drinks and food 🍻

I would be willing to. But I need to make sure I don’t have plans.

Do you have a garage or driveway? Tools?

I've got a garage and driveway. In terms of tools, I've got a mechanic tool set which has the basic wrenches, sockets, etc but nothing super fancy.

I can do the following days:
-Feb 26th
-Feb 27th
-March 18th
-March 19th
-March 20th
-March 27th

I could also probably do a weekday after 6pm if that's preferred. Thanks again for your willingness to help guide me!

Thanks for the offer! I'm near the Ashburn metro stop so you're super close.

I'm not getting any codes. Just reading online people seemed to encourage replacing the O2 sensors as regular maintenance. Would love to hear some other thoughts on this though.
If you're not getting any codes, leave the O2 sensors alone. If you do replace them, only use NGK/NTK replacements. TJs are very picky about sensors and using something else will only result in a check engine light, or other erratic behavior.

Two other recommendations:

1. If you're doing the cooling system spend the extra money and get a Mopar radiator and water pump. I've installed other brands and the quality difference is significant.

2. If you're having issues with the steering, do yourself a favor and make the ZJ steering modification. I've done dozens of these, using Moog parts only, and this is an inexpensive modification that significantly strengthens the steering (do a google search and you'll see why). For help there, here's a picture I put together labeling the needed parts. The only part I missed labeling was the "Stock TJ Drag Link", Moog DS1430.

BWCKpFE.jpg

Back