Help requested installing Rubicon take-off springs from a sad space-challenged apartment dweller

blink9cd

Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
I think I've met a bunch of you guys at meetings or recent trail rides and have my first wrenching request! This is my first Jeep and have slowly started using it to learn how to get my hands dirty, amass a tool collection, etc. I just wanted a cheap moderate lift and to learn how the suspension stuff works, so after some research on forums and talking to two off road shops, Rubicon take-offs sounded perfect for me.

I've finally amassed all the parts, including all 4 take-off springs, new Mopar extended front LCAs, and a short leveling spacer (I have a Willys so already have Rubicon shocks). I've also done some measurements of my current height and rake. I've included pictures of my Jeep in a grocery store garage where I did the measurements and also all the parts. All that's left is doing the actual work!

I really would like to learn how to do this vs taking it a shop. But besides being pretty new to this, I just live in an apartment so no garage or private work space... (not even a parking garage, just an uneven outdoor parking lot with no access to power or a hose, etc.). I do have limited tools I can bring that would be helpful (torque wrenches, creeper, impact, etc.), but I imagine I won't have anything too unique. I mentioned the project to @Nacho at the last trail ride and he mentioned renting a spring compressor, so I could that.

Anyway I'm willing to drive to wherever I need to be, and of course bring any requisite pizza/beer/thing you enjoy for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2829.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 67
Happy to offer my garage to do springs and the LCAs. But it will have to be in about 3 weeks. Windrock trip 5-10, hyperfest 13-15 the weekend after is open.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are on the southern end of NOVA I'm always willing to help out. @micky and I did the same thing to his in my driveway on a Saturday morning. I'm down outside of Charlottesville though, so might be a hike for you. Let me know if that helps.

I've got a driveway where i did my lift and the tools to do it. I'll be tinkering on my jeep this saturday if you want to come by and do your lift you are welcome to. i live in zip code 20772.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are on the southern end of NOVA I'm always willing to help out. @micky and I did the same thing to his in my driveway on a Saturday morning. I'm down outside of Charlottesville though, so might be a hike for you. Let me know if that helps.
Cool thanks for the offer. I'm actually up in Arlington, so admittedly is a bit of a hike. Great that you've already been able to help out another member. Will definitely keep you in mind!

Happy to offer my garage to do springs and the LCAs. But it will have to be in about 3 weeks. Windrock trip 5-10, hyperfest 13-15 the weekend after is open.
Great thanks for the offer. You're Rob from King George? Think we spoke at the last club meetup while I was learning about the naked Jeep; I mentioned I had a friend from college in King George. Anyway this kinda works with my schedule as I'm out of town the first weeknd you're gone anyway. Lemme see about this weekend first, as another member was interested in learning/helping out if I find someone who can help this weekend.

Reactions: R3
I've got a driveway where i did my lift and the tools to do it. I'll be tinkering on my jeep this saturday if you want to come by and do your lift you are welcome to. i live in zip code 20772.
Despite seeing Maryland, this is surprisingly not that far from me (I'm in Arlington). Admittedly this is my first time doing anything remotely like this, so I imagine no matter how many videos I watch, I don't know how long it'll take and I'm likely to be diverting quite a bit of your attention from your own Jeep...is that ok? Don't wanna feel like I'm imposing, but I gotta be honest with myself/you haha. If not, don't be shy in saying so. But if you're cool with that and it was this Sat, another member @Dubv09 was interesting in coming out to help/for the learning experience.

I am in Lorton and have done several lifts in my driveway if you still need assistance. I have no plans this weekend, except the usual relaxing from my long week.

I am in Lorton and have done several lifts in my driveway if you still need assistance. I have no plans this weekend, except the usual relaxing from my long week.
Thanks for the offer! My current plan is to go to @JustOnlyME 's on Saturday, but I can keep you in mind if that doesn't work out for some reason. Or maybe even on speed dial if your idea of unwinding is helping with a lift somewhere else. Mini unsanctioned club meeting haha

We completed the project this weekend and I posted more about in the "Today" thread. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered, I really appreciate how welcoming the community is to newer people. I hope to have more things to do in the future :)

Back