Gravel Grinder Bike Ride (Louden County)

Nacho

Member 2024
VA4WDA
This is somewhat off topic, but I got an email and phone call from a gentleman who was looking for some assistance for an event this summer and I told him I would post and check out if there is interest.

The event is a bicycle relay and he said he had great success working with some Jeep clubs in other states. He would like to have 7-10 jeep teams to help bring in riders who are injured, have bikes that have broken, or who just cannot go anymore. They have 2 events happening at the same time, one is a 30 mile and the other is a 100 mile ride. They are looking to station jeep teams around the course to bring riders back to one of the aid stations at the 35 and 70 mile marks.

He said that they will then transport the riders back to the start / finish area at B Chord Brewing.

The events are in Louden Co on May 7. I attached the flyer, and will send this thread link to the organizer in case there are any questions.

If you are interested or have questions, you can post here and the POC is:
Troy Farrar
512-417-4949

Thanks all

Attachments

• 2022 Gravel Grinder Nats Press Release.pdf
    75.8 KB · Views: 70
Hey NOVA Jeepers,
I'm Troy Farrar and I help organize the event mentioned above - it is actually a national championship bike race called Grinder Nationals.
We produced this event for the past 6 years in Lawrence, Kansas and had the Kansas City Jeep Club as our Jeep Rescue Team and they were awesome. Hoping some of the NOVA Jeepers would be willing to do the same in Loudoun County. We have already been in contact with Loudoun Amateur Radio Group and they will provide communications on the course via ham radios, because cell phones do not work everywhere.

If there is a Nova Jeeper who would like to spearhead organizing the Jeep Rescue team please contact me and we can coordinate on the details.

Thank you,
Troy Farrar
512-417-4949

I'm interested in helping on behalf of Nova Jeepers. My JK is equipped with a GMRS radio and I keep medical supplies in it, like blood clotting strips, tourniquets, wraps, antiseptics, etc. The Ham ops should be able to use those GMRS frequencies on some of their equip, I believe. I had a Ham license for over 25 years, but let it lapse around 1995.
Who else from Nova jeepers is interested ?

This is what my JK can get you thru.
flagpolev2.jpg

This sounds really cool. I'm a cyclist myself and would absolutely volunteer, but we may have to be in Florida that weekend, and we won't be able to confirm that until much closer to the date unfortunately. If we end up unable to do it, I do have a nice bike rack that I'd be happy to stick on someone else's Jeep for the day!

Would also volunteer as I’m just down the road, but will be heading to Windrock that weekend.

I meant is on May 7th. To make sure I want to save that day on the callender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be interested as well. My jeep is still stock, planning my build, so, I’d be a willing rider.

Thank you so much. Ok so far we have Oaktown Bubba, 3RIGGS88, MTINSTON and maybe WINDR-XJ.
Would one of you be willing to be the lead for Nova Jeepers and organize the Jeep Rescue teams? Please let me know as this would be the best way to run the team.

My contact info is below.

Thank you
Troy Farrar
advrace@aol.com
979-703-5018 W
512-417-4949 cell

Thank you so much. Ok so far we have Oaktown Bubba, 3RIGGS88, MTINSTON and maybe WINDR-XJ.
Would one of you be willing to be the lead for Nova Jeepers and organize the Jeep Rescue teams? Please let me know as this would be the best way to run the team.

My contact info is below.

Thank you
Troy Farrar
advrace@aol.com
979-703-5018 W
512-417-4949 cell

Got any leader yet???

I offer to lead, but I have some questions to ask Troy, like access to the trails, how many Jeeps does he need, what Ham club is he working with for Comms ( I will be at the 2022 Winter Hamfest at Nova Community College at the end of this month helping some friends), will a Ham need to ride with us?, etc, possibly an issue if I have a 2dr JK and back seat access.

I offer to lead, but I have some questions to ask Troy, like access to the trails, how many Jeeps does he need, what Ham club is he working with for Comms ( I will be at the 2022 Winter Hamfest at Nova Community College at the end of this month helping some friends), will a Ham need to ride with us?, etc, possibly an issue if I have a 2dr JK and back seat access.

I got a two door TJ but I will put on my back a cargo carrier and I have first aid kit. And I can get some radio if is needed. Just let me know what is needed.

I’d be interested in helping as well. Jeep is equipped with 3 bike carrier and has both Ham and GMRS radios

Great, thanks everyone. So far we have:
1. Oakton Bubba
2. WNDR-XJ ?
3. Rigss88
4. mtinston
5. Kixster
6. W4V3

Still need a few more, I have talked to Troy--he is out this week, but will get me more info when he comes back
To reiterate:
"The event is a bicycle relay and he said he had great success working with some Jeep clubs in other states. He would like to have 7-10 jeep teams to help bring in riders who are injured, have bikes that have broken, or who just cannot go anymore. They have 2 events happening at the same time, one is a 30 mile and the other is a 100 mile ride. They are looking to station jeep teams around the course to bring riders back to one of the aid stations at the 35 and 70 mile marks.
They will then transport the riders back to the start / finish area at B Chord Brewing."

The event is May 7th

As I mentioned, because of the distances involved they will also have help from the Loudoun Amateur Radio Group (LARG) of Loudoun County, Northern Virginia (he had spelled Loudoun wrong, common mistake).
I will do some checking with that since on March 27 I will be helping a Ham friend of mine (I introduced him to Amateur Radio when I still had a license many years ago), we will be at the Vienna Wireless Society Winterfest (a swap meet for Hams) at the Nova Community College campus.

I now have finally received a course map from the organizer(on Saturday) and am in communication with the Loudoun Ham club as well. I have to be careful of the map distribution so that it is not publicly available. My current plan is to drive around much of the course on Wednesday of this week and check it out for locations we can pull over on and not block travel, also I will check for cell phone coverage.
The one issue is that with either 2 meter Ham coverage (144mhz freq) or GMRS (462 mhz) is that those frequencies are distance limited ( the ham club at fixed locations will use 30ft antenna masts), so communications between us will have to still be figured out, with Cell as a hopeful backup.
If volunteers could private message me thru this site, it would be great if you could provide me with your email address and contact number and then we could pass map info over with another layer of security, and also have a verbal talk for further details.
BTW, apparently riders are coming from around the country for this National ride, so seems to be a big deal.
Thanks everyone

Back