Front locker use poll

OneArmedSaint

Member 2024
I was in a discussion with a friend about use of front lockers as part him asking if only a front locker was a popular upgrade. He was of the opinion that most folks, if installing only one locker, installed in the rear cuz its more useful.
I pointed out that in the 3rigs I've owned with lockers, air and electric, that when faced with only using one I used the front more often on its own by a long shot.
I explained that in many terrains on the east coast where your in the woods and its muddy, using front due to wheelsman allowed me control over steering but that often, in muddy conditions, using rear ONLY tended to cause the Jeep to get 'bulldozed' forward into obstacles as much as helping. Whereas allowing the rear to slip a little but the front to still steer tended to avoid more problems/damage.

Now, obviously, this is not the case on rock gardens, slick rock, sand etc.
But I thought just for giggles, I'd get input from other folks who have used lockers in many different terrains, different vehicles. I understand Rubicon owners don't get the front only option but please add your opinions.
Thanks.

-Joe

If you have Dana 30 problems a locker in the rear makes sense. The bulldozer effect you mention is real bad in a buggy. I run a spool in the rear and with a light weight rig and meaty 42’s I cannot turn in reverse. Most will run a spool in the front and a selectable in the rear to allow maneuverability. Also front digs and cutting brakes benefit from the rear being unlocked. So I’d vote front locker

If you have Dana 30 problems a locker in the rear makes sense. The bulldozer effect you mention is real bad in a buggy. I run a spool in the rear and with a light weight rig and meaty 42’s I cannot turn in reverse. Most will run a spool in the front and a selectable in the rear to allow maneuverability. Also front digs and cutting brakes benefit from the rear being unlocked. So I’d vote front locker
That's what I tried explaining to him, that even buggies will run front only quite often but he's convinced its not common. I know I'll hit the front button long before the rear.

Discounting buggies.

Front locker only put a lot of strain on the front end components. I have seen lots of broken bits with the front only locker approach.

My approach is to run without until needed. Then engaged rear or both to work the challenge and then switch off front or both for maneuverability.

Of course it all depends on terrain, lines, and driver skill and driving style.

I almost never use the front locker because I don’t like the binding effect on the steering and added stress on the front axle components.

Back