CONFIRMED
@OneArmedSaint
CONFIRMED
@Cloving
CONFIRMED
@Matanzas
CONFIRMED
Saturday April 1stHells RevengeHells RevengeHells RevengeHotel Rock
Sunday April 2ndPoison Spider, Where Eagles DareSteel BenderTop of the WorldJax Trax
Monday April 3rdMetal Masher AFins and ThingsPoison Spider, Where Eagles DarePorcupine Rim
Tuesday April 4thMoab RimPoison Spider MesaMoab RimWipeout Hil
Wednesday April 5thSteel Bender ABreak DaySteel BenderBehind The Rocks
Thursday April 6thTop of the WorldGolden SpikeMetal MasherBlack Dragon
Friday April 7thPritchett CanyonMetal MasherPritchett Canyon
Saturday April 8thCliff HangerTop of the World
Sunday April 9thFins-n-ThingsBreak Day

Registration is open to members, and associate members on January 19th, and January 24th for all other participants at 10:00am MST. A RedRock 4 wheelers club membership costs $50 a year and can be done online: https://www.rr4w.com/become-a-member.cfm. The club will generally send out an EJS before registration opens, giving everyone a chance to select their desired trails and days. EJS registration is done online, so make sure to get your membership and vehicle profile set up ahead of time. In 2019 - registration opened up on January 18th.

Getting There / Back:
As of now all club members attending are planning to drive themselves to Moab and back. We had investigated potential options with car shipping companies, but the options were too expensive and quite limiting on availability.

Accommodations:
@WNDR-XJ and @Galactica: VRBO in the Spanish Valley area
@OneArmedSaint : Camping
@Matanzas: Staying in town

Last edited by a moderator:
EJS is amazing - we have only gone once - but had a fantastic time!

What grade trails are you looking at running?

Good question, studying Wells' guide. So far I like: Elephant Hill; Fins and Things; Sevenmile; Dome Plateau, Onion Creek.

Good question, studying Wells' guide. So far I like: Elephant Hill; Fins and Things; Sevenmile; Dome Plateau, Onion Creek.
What sort of gear is your jeep equipped with, and what are your goals for the trip?

We found that the ratings published by the Red Rock 4-Wheelers was a little conservative. At the time the XJ only had 33s, but did have two lockers, and the ratings would suggest that we would max out on a 5. Looking back I think we could have done up to 7s safely and while keeping up with the group.

Heading to Moab this year with a stock 392. Any pics or stories from those who have been before? Where can I keep my hard top and doors? Is there a dragstrip to do 1/4 mile runs? Monument Valley or Cathedral Valley? Good fishing anywhere?

I’ll be missing out this year for sure. I’ll be headed to trail hero in October.
66791BEB-9DBE-49E0-A897-24AA34236DDA.jpeg

Moab is awesome!
EJS is a great event to meet fellow Jeepers, learn the trails, and see some fantastic rigs. If you can possibly go I highly recommend it.

Some of the trails I have run:
Poison Spider Mesa
Metal Masher
Golden Spike Trail
Rose Garden Hill Trail
Kane Creek
Rusty Nail
Steel Bender
Crystal Geyser
Secret Spire
Gemini Bridges
Behind The Rocks
Flat Iron Mesa
Fins & Things

If you need a place to keep your hardtop and doors, you might check out AirBnB options. We stayed in one south of Moab, and it kept us out of the main traffic, allowed us to actually cook meals, and gave us space to store a trailer/stuff (and work on a couple of minor repairs).

Our favorite trails were Gold Bar Rim and Steel Bender. We did both just fine on 33s with two lockers. The profile pic is one of the drops on Steel Bender.

We didn't do this intentionally, but we ended up doing at least one trail on all of the sides of Moab. The terrain and views were different in each area, and we ended up being glad that we stumbled upon such good variety.

Good to know 33s will work - RR4W in their mag says 35s required during EJS for trails rated 6 and up. I need to ask them if this is really a rule or not. Airbnb with garage is a better idea, I was thinking hotel/storage unit.

Good to know 33s will work - RR4W in their mag says 35s required during EJS for trails rated 6 and up. I need to ask them if this is really a rule or not. Airbnb with garage is a better idea, I was thinking hotel/storage unit.
Yeah, we saw that update to their trail ratings this year. According to our magazine from 2019, 6s were rated for 33s as of then. Trails can change and get dug out, but it would be a good idea to ask them, especially if you feel confident driving those trails and have two lockers and a winch. Our experience was that the trail leader did a quick walk-around while everyone was lining up to check that everyone was generally equipped, but we never saw anyone told that they could not go. Running 33s at the time, we were usually the smallest tire among any group on the 5s and 6s we ran, but we made it over every single obstacle with no assists. Most people were running 35s.

Attachments

• 20220208_210457.jpg
    20220208_210457.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
I was able to register for the rides I wanted: elephant hill, fins, 7-mile, dome plateau, hells revenge. The grid was x’d out for the harder stuff due to tire size - but that’s OK - not trying to send it my first time there!

Heading to Moab this year with a stock 392. Any pics or stories from those who have been before? Where can I keep my hard top and doors? Is there a dragstrip to do 1/4 mile runs? Monument Valley or Cathedral Valley? Good fishing anywhere?

Attachments

• E12154ED-95C2-47DB-8D59-B65A077A59CB.jpeg
    E12154ED-95C2-47DB-8D59-B65A077A59CB.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 96
  • 7EEFA051-1BD3-4508-8100-12AEDE3F4924.jpeg
    7EEFA051-1BD3-4508-8100-12AEDE3F4924.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 98
I was able to register for the rides I wanted: elephant hill, fins, 7-mile, dome plateau, hells revenge. The grid was x’d out for the harder stuff due to tire size - but that’s OK - not trying to send it my first time there!
Trails are incredible and well marked. Should be brilliant. Fins and things is a great one. Should be able to hit all the obstacles stock as hard part is how steep some of it is but the rock is great for traction. BL: hit the hard lines, your rig will surprise you.

Trip Report

Stop reading this and begin planning your trip to EJS in Moab. OK, done? You have made a wonderful choice. Below is my experience:

Before the Jeepin'

Do yourself a favor and drop $50 on the associate membership in RR4W, it will allow you early access to sign up for the trails you want. I booked a hotel downtown with an in-room kitchen and 6am breakfast - this worked out great.

I arrived a week prior and decided to attend the monthly RR4W meeting. Formal, but friendly group, nice clubhouse, no beer, free soft drinks. Every EJS cover posterized and hanging on the wall. President used a gavel to bring everything to order. Lots of discussion about upcoming EJS logistics - very competent team, old hat to them. I introduced myself and gifted the nova jeepers flag so they could hang it up (note to self, order another flag). Volunteered to help them with registration set up the night before EJS begins. Great learning experience.

Warm-up Jeepin'

Onion Creek
65669888-6425-4A3D-91CB-965476C1B612.jpeg

Long Canyon
193BDCDF-F8D9-4718-9F3C-E4FE26F21C2D.jpeg

Arches
BB1B7DE3-A0EE-44F0-B9EB-DA7D2A63E501.jpeg

Behind the Iron
13A89A8C-E962-4874-B3BB-453CF1290C5F.jpeg

Jeepin

7-Mile
33E46B21-FD63-4E20-89F9-A1EA0F7EA5F8.jpeg

Elephant Hill
57D31713-A90C-45D6-9F08-55A7B8A45D72.jpeg

Fins & Things
C92CA967-F4AB-4518-9572-17A2E46FD079.jpeg

Hells Revenge
3D804BC8-AD83-48B8-8F47-DB49ED468340.jpeg

Dome Plateau
54588513-F3CF-4E04-B78D-BBACAF96214E.jpeg

891E4D5B-0F01-48E7-A919-065844DD70F4.jpeg

The Bill

It was expensive.

Stats

Total seat time in the Jeep = 122 hours
Miles driven = 5192
MPG = 14

Looks great Matt, knew you'd love it. Our planning group here is still strong at 6-9 members for next year. I've already booked a dive motel and planned the trip out there.

Back