crazy idea for rack system

anyone seen similar ideas

I am looking for a rack system for my trailer camper and use to secure the Jeep spare tire, and a bike and/or kayak for road trips and camping. It would be nice to have a means to heave a spare up there. That's the main goal, so if there are other ideas for getting a tire up over your head in a mostly safe manner, I'd be interested to hear about.

anyone seen similar ideas

I am looking for a rack system for my trailer camper and use to secure the Jeep spare tire, and a bike and/or kayak for road trips and camping. It would be nice to have a means to heave a spare up there. That's the main goal, so if there are other ideas for getting a tire up over your head in a mostly safe manner, I'd be interested to hear about.
Funny Just put one of those on an Explorer for a retired friend so he could haul is Kayak and bike aroudn the country on his adventures. Looks storng and works pretty well. I am not sure about a 100#+ tire... but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

How much are they? No price on there. Both versions are out of stock.

How much are they? No price on there. Both versions are out of stock.

1200 pounds I found for the sport version = 1600 bucks roughly. I may just install a chain hoist in garage to help with the 5-tire rotation keeping the spare on the trailer rack.

Backstory:
I’m contemplating of going spare delete, leaving the spare tire on trailer at trailhead.

I’m sure some will say it’s a bad idea not to have spare on trail. Maybe that’s a topic for another thread, but I’d love to hear the anecdotes though. I do carry air and more air along with a repair kit.

For day to day driving, I drive a mile to work and an occasional trip to the HW store. All the bars are also within a mile as well, so I am not terribly concerned with shredding a tire around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just my thought, I don't think I would spend $1600 on a rack for a spare tire. Seems like a lot. You can buy a bumper with a tire carrier for that. Or like you said, save the money and leave the tire at home. Only thought, many rides/runs require a full size spare. Looks like a cool idea though!

Just my thought, I don't think I would spend $1600 on a rack for a spare tire. Seems like a lot. You can buy a bumper with a tire carrier for that. Or like you said, save the money and leave the tire at home. Only thought, many rides/runs require a full size spare. Looks like a cool idea though!
Looked at a demo video and it looks like a crank system that pulls in / lets out a strap. I thought it would be at least hydro assist at that price point.

Looked at a demo video and it looks like a crank system that pulls in / lets out a strap. I thought it would be at least hydro assist at that price point.

I found a guy in Richmond that is selling the following setup for $400! It's on a JLU but the Go Rhino site says it will fit on a 2017 JKU.

Rack - https://www.gorhino.com/i-30505511-srm500-65-flat-platform-roof-rack.html

Gutter Mount Kit - https://www.gorhino.com/i-30505499-srm-rack-mounting-kit-gutter-mount-6-pcs.html

Let me know if you're interested. He's on the JL Forum. I can get his contact info for you if interested.

I found a guy in Richmond that is selling the following setup for $400! It's on a JLU but the Go Rhino site says it will fit on a 2017 JKU.

Rack - https://www.gorhino.com/i-30505511-srm500-65-flat-platform-roof-rack.html

Gutter Mount Kit - https://www.gorhino.com/i-30505499-srm-rack-mounting-kit-gutter-mount-6-pcs.html

Let me know if you're interested. He's on the JL Forum. I can get his contact info for you if interested.
My overlanding trailer already has a rack. I was just exploring ways to make it easy to get my spare tire up on top and down without getting a hernia.

Last edited:
There are similar systems on contractor van racks for ladders and such. Maybe you can find one of them a bit cheaper or in a salvage yard or something.

Yakima also makes a system for kayaks and whatnot called the ShowDown for a lot less (still expensive at $600 msrp) and its rated to 80lbs (but can probably hold more)

Back