Confusion about putting JL take-offs onto a JKU

Greetings all! First-time post and glad I found this dynamite group.

I have a '12 JKU Sport and want to replace the stock rims and some aging 33s with JL take-off tires and wheels. I fully understand things on the tire side, but the wheels have me a bit confused. Have searched for this in forums and can't find this, specifically, so...

I've heard that the lug pattern on the JL is the same (5x5) but that there are some differences with spacing and perhaps something regarding a retainer ring (??), but...admittedly...it's left me a little confused. Can anyone help clear this up for someone (i.e., me) who's learned a ton about Jeeps since getting one, but is still a relative n00b? I'm getting there...but not there yet...and I don't want to "learn the hard way" with wheels flying off on the Beltway!

Are the stock 17" JL wheels (photo of the actual wheel model below) compatible with my '12 JKU Sport, and if so, what do I need to do to swap them out safely and effectively?

Thanks a ton in advance!

273157294_4567638063346894_2372748267600272279_n.jpg

Hello and welcome. :jw

I'm running JL take off wheels on my 2017 JK. The bolt pattern is the same but the thread count on the stud is different so you have to use the JK lug nuts on the JL wheel. There is a small difference in the lug nut cone shape between the JK and JL lug nuts which is a cause for some concern for some people but i havent had any troubles with it yet.

Regarding the retainer ring, the JK models used several retainer rings (looks like star washers) on the wheel studs to keep the rotors in place when there is no wheel on. The JK wheels have a recessed space to allow for them where the JL wheels will not have that space so to use the JL wheels on the JK you need to remove those rings so the JL wheel will sit tight/flat against the rotor on the JK.

Hopefully that cleared up some questions.

Hello and welcome. :jw

I'm running JL take off wheels on my 2017 JK. The bolt pattern is the same but the thread count on the stud is different so you have to use the JK lug nuts on the JL wheel. There is a small difference in the lug nut cone shape between the JK and JL lug nuts which is a cause for some concern for some people but i havent had any troubles with it yet.

Regarding the retainer ring, the JK models used several retainer rings (looks like star washers) on the wheel studs to keep the rotors in place when there is no wheel on. The JK wheels have a recessed space to allow for them where the JL wheels will not have that space so to use the JL wheels on the JK you need to remove those rings so the JL wheel will sit tight/flat against the rotor on the JK.

Hopefully that cleared up some questions.
👆 This needs to be copied and pasted across the entire internet. @JustOnlyME - you're a lifesaver. Very clear and the retainer ring explanation now makes sense. Really appreciate it...and thanks for the welcome!

Back