Community Volunteer Ideas

BldyFrog

Member 2024
VA4WDA
I mentioned this at the Nov meeting and have thought/discussed this with a few others in the group. When a few of us did a ride back in Oct in the Flagpole area, there was a group out there doing trail cleanup. So that got us to thinking, why cant we? So here are some ideas:

1) I can contact the forestry service and see if we can do a trail cleanup on any number of trails around here. I am thinking maybe in LATE March right before the "official" trail season opens up. This would include removing debris from the winter and trash.

2) We can adopt a highway/road. This would give up public visibility via road signage.

3) Organize our own cleanup day via a run to any of the trails around here.

Thoughts?

I also know years back NOVA Jeepers assisted the 25th Project with homeless assistance in the area. My good friend runs the 25th Project and would love some help, especially in the winter months when snow and cold is an issue.

I also know years back NOVA Jeepers assisted the 25th Project with homeless assistance in the area. My good friend runs the 25th Project and would love some help, especially in the winter months when snow and cold is an issue.
Sounds interesting. Can you provide additional details please.

I'd like to think a lot of us would join in on this, and we can totally make this big with word of mouth.
Why not also invite other clubs to partner with us? Might be a good opportunity to meet new folks too (just a toss in the hat, if we don't want to do that I am cool and it's not a big deal).

Also for the 25th Project, would love to hear more details to assist!

I am actually having lunch with Jay, founder of the 25th Project, on Wednesday this week. I'll get some more info at lunch. They are doing a Chili Cook off on the 25th of January and February is the soap and socks. In the winter they always have a need for propane tanks because of the bitter cold. I'll shoot over more details later this week.

I will say, for the most part the people are wonderful, welcoming, and thankful. Some of their stories are amazing and some sad, most everyone is willing to share. Believe it or not several people choose this life. Kids are welcome to help, but some camps they do need to be watched closely and can't go running off. Most of the camps visited on a monthly basis are in Woodbridge/Dale City area. Holidays T25P does end up in DC, DC folks are not nearly as thankful and appreciative, I personally opt out of those trips.
If anyone wants to check it out here's Jay's website: https://www.the25thproject.org/about
-Ummn

Back