Car hauler question

Starting to consider a car hauler for my Jeep. What size hauler should I be looking at? 16’ 18’? Jeep is a 2011 JK 2 door with 35” tires if that makes a difference.
Also, I thought we had a trailer section in the forum? Didn’t see it though.

There are a few things you need to keep in mind, like GVWR of your trailer and you tow vehicle's towing capacity.

I have a 16 foot 7k GVWR trailer that weighs 2200lbs that works pretty well for my TJ (about 3,600 lbs). I know JKs weight a little more, plus all of the other stuff you want to haul like a cooler, parts, camping stuff, etc... you could hit that 7000lb mark pretty quick.

My setup works ok for me since I tow with a Gladiator Rubicon with a Blue OX weight distribution hitch. Ideally I should probably have at least a 1/2 ton truck with a non-dovetail that is at least 18 - 20 feet with tiedown points integrated into the trailer deck if I had to do it all over again, but my current setup works fine for now.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be get the widest deck you can. I would say 18' is a pretty good sweet spot that you have room, but not too much. Definitely take weight into consideration. What you will be towing with should be able to tow your weight pretty easily. Don't overdo it because that can go bad. Aluminum trailers are nice too for reduced weight, but more expensive. Also with used trailers check out the braking, wiring and things like that you may have to replace/repair. Good luck!

I have a 18’ 102” buggy hauler with 5.2k axles. It’s been my best trailer so far for the jeep

Attachments

• 2BD140D6-E8C1-48FC-84C3-A19C440FC49A.jpeg
    2BD140D6-E8C1-48FC-84C3-A19C440FC49A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 68
Dual 3500 lb axles isn't quite enough if you have anything more than your Jeep on it. Guess how I know. So many hubs, so many tires. My trailer weighed way more than I thought.

New trailer has dual 6000lb axles. Tows so much nicer.

I am in a similar situation. I think I will be buying a trailer sooner rather than later. I REALLY want an aluminum one, but $$$$$$$. For my Scrambler, 18’ length will be the minimum. And I want the deck wide enough that I won’t have to drive over the trailer fenders.

I bought this 18' PJ Buggy Hauler almost two years ago, and prices have almost doubled since sadly. The 18' is great for ease of parking and maneuvering through gas stations, but I kind of almost wish I i had gotten the 20' to stow a few more things in front of the rigs like coolers, grills etc. This is 102" wide with drive over fenders and fits the JL or the YJ just fine. 5200lb axles, 82.5" btw fenders, weight was 2360 lbs. It tows great and have been super happy with it. Happy hunting. Not having to worry if you can drive home after wheeling is worth its weight in gold.
2YikC0Bm.jpg
p6TqXUkm.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this 18' PJ Buggy Hauler almost two years ago, and prices have almost doubled since sadly. The 18' is great for ease of parking and maneuvering through gas stations, but I kind of almost wish I i had gotten the 20' to stow a few more things in front of the rigs like coolers, grills etc. This is 102" wide with drive over fenders and fits the JL or the YJ just fine. 5200lb axles, 82.5" btw fenders, weight was 2360 lbs. It tows great and have been super happy with it. Happy hunting. Not having to worry if you can drive home after wheeling is worth its weight in gold.
2YikC0Bm.jpg
p6TqXUkm.jpg
Guarantee ride home is well worth the investment! But…. You lose the “I have to drive it home” excuse.

I have a 16' aluminum trailer with a 7K lb capacity. The trailer weighs 1100 pounds and pulls easily when loaded. I've used it for years to haul either my LJ or TJ on. The downside to aluminum is the decks damage easily. While the 16' will easily handle your 2 door, a 4 door would be a stretch.

view

Back