Camping power

Nacho

Member 2024
VA4WDA
Not 100% Jeep related, so putting it in the off-topic section. As many of you know, I did some work on a pop-up camper last summer and looking forward to using it a little more this year. I was starting to think about going up to Raush this summer and maybe even Camp Heep, but not sure I would want to sleep in it in the dead of summer with no power. Other than bringing a portable generator, are there any other ideas for air conditioning?

What about possibly bringing an extra car battery and power inverter? Anybody ever done anything like that?

You can go from mild to wild with electrical systems, here is a pretty good overview:

AC units are power hogs for sure, do you already have an existing AC unit you are trying to power? You would need to take the power consumption capacity of the AC unit and work backwards.

Nope... don't have anything yet. Just kind of thinking about it at this point, but definitely don't want to spend a fortune building a whole system.

check silver cymbal on youtube he does a ton of different stuff but mostly lawn and yard care but did do a whole bunch of reviews on solar and other types of generators including compact quiet generators.

Both Dirt Lifestyle and Ozark Overland Adventures did reviews on the Zero Breeze A/C unit on youtube.

Raush and AOAA can get pretty comfortable temperature wise after the sun goes down. Matter of fact, it can get pretty cool at night where you might actually want the heat. Make sure your battery is there to run the furnace fan if needed, that may be more important.

FYI, Harbor Freight is having a sale today, $150 off their Predator 3500KVa generator. That's what I picked up for my trailer last year. Not quite Honda Quiet, but pretty darn close for the money.

Thanks all...appreciate the advice (as always). I dont use it enough to want to make a big investment, but a little worried about those July & August nights and being in a pool o' sweat. Most of the places I camp have electricity, so even a few hundred for a generator just seems like a bit much to use 2-3 times per year. Think for now, I will hold off and give it a try and see how it goes and hope Frank is right about it not being too hot.

Found with the right conditions, and ventilation unless it is 100degrees and 100%humidity an ac unit is really not needed.

Back