Bump Stop Fell Out of TJ

So I went off-roading for the first time this past weekend with the Peters Mill group. I had a blast but unfortunately looks like the bump stop on my passenger side fell out. It is from 2002 and previous owner never wheeled her so I figured some old things would have problems. That being said I use the TJ as a daily driver (or at least daily in the sense that I work from home so need to drive it maybe once a week or less), should I be overly concerned about driving with it missing? My research leads me to believe I should be fine as long as I avoid any huge bumps until I can replace it. Would love some second opinions though. Thanks in advance!

It shouldn't be a problem unless you are doing something that will cause a high range of articulation, which shouldn't happen daily driving it. Replace it before doing any serious wheeling though.

I agree with Aaron. Now worries unless you hit some big rocks causing the stuffing of your wheel into your fender. Which is a commute I would enjoy.

Check out the mount to see if you can tell WHY it fell out. I am not sure how they mount on a TJ, but hopefully the mounting hole is not ruested out keeping you from just swapping in a new bump stop.

So I went off-roading for the first time this past weekend with the Peters Mill group. I had a blast but unfortunately looks like the bump stop on my passenger side fell out. It is from 2002 and previous owner never wheeled her so I figured some old things would have problems. That being said I use the TJ as a daily driver (or at least daily in the sense that I work from home so need to drive it maybe once a week or less), should I be overly concerned about driving with it missing? My research leads me to believe I should be fine as long as I avoid any huge bumps until I can replace it. Would love some second opinions though. Thanks in advance!
And thats how the upgrades start. :)

Sent from my LM-T600 using Tapatalk

Thanks all for confirming my thoughts! Definitely gonna dig into what caused it and get some projects started when I return from my vacation!

Thanks all for confirming my thoughts! Definitely gonna dig into what caused it and get some projects started when I return from my vacation!
Can probably save you a little digging. Mine left due to rust. the rubber from the bumpstop is attached to a metal plate. That metal plate is bolted to the frame. Metal plate rusts through causing rubber to leave.

Can probably save you a little digging. Mine left due to rust. the rubber from the bumpstop is attached to a metal plate. That metal plate is bolted to the frame. Metal plate rusts through causing rubber to leave.
Yeah thats what I assumed. The rubber on the driver side one is super dry too. I mean it is 20 years old so not too surprised and expected a few things to break even on an "easy" trail. Were you able to just replace it no problem or did you have to work on replacing the rusted metal as well? I've seen some fancy welding jobs online people did to fix it but I've got no clue how to do that haha

Yeah thats what I assumed. The rubber on the driver side one is super dry too. I mean it is 20 years old so not too surprised and expected a few things to break even on an "easy" trail. Were you able to just replace it no problem or did you have to work on replacing the rusted metal as well? I've seen some fancy welding jobs online people did to fix it but I've got no clue how to do that haha
Tell Macy the bump stop can only be purchased as part of a lift kit ;)

I can't imagine it is different then a YJ, but maybe it is. On the YJ, undo 2 bolts, remove whatever is left of the old bump stop, install new bump stop with the 2 bolts you removed that was holding the remainder of the old bump stop. Just need to decide if you are lifting and running extended bump stops :devilish:

No welding needed. Welding is for all those fancy tunable bump stops, which aren't needed on stock to mild lifted Jeeps. those are good for heavily modified Jeeps. If you have to ask if you need a tunable one, then you don't.

No welding needed. Welding is for all those fancy tunable bump stops, which aren't needed on stock to mild lifted Jeeps. those are good for heavily modified Jeeps. If you have to ask if you need a tunable one, then you don't.

I have to disagree, the "fancy" hydraulic bumps have their place in cushioning shock at full bump. This happens even in stock or mildly lifted Jeeps. There are several options from the full on hydraulic tunable bump, Air bump and the foam bump. Each will work well with a stock or mild lift and is a valid option for replacement.

In the TJ 's case a easy or simple replacement of existing equipment is easy to understand and accomplish. Parts are available on line or thru a MOPAR dealer.

I have to disagree, the "fancy" hydraulic bumps have their place in cushioning shock at full bump. This happens even in stock or mildly lifted Jeeps. There are several options from the full on hydraulic tunable bump, Air bump and the foam bump. Each will work well with a stock or mild lift and is a valid option for replacement.

In the TJ 's case a easy or simple replacement of existing equipment is easy to understand and accomplish. Parts are available on line or thru a MOPAR dealer.
Fair enough. I don't disagree they have their place and are beneficial, however, I still think that is not one of the first "mods" you do. That is a byproduct of other things and that happens once you really start wheeling it and learning. I could see someone trying to wheel their stock rig hard, and wanting to keep it stock height, for the challenge, doing something "fancy".

Fancy..... Or technology?
After going to more advanced equipment... The benefits are self-explanatory.

But then again I guess I have a fancy Jeep.🤪

Yep that looks right
The jounce bumper isn't really a bump stop. It's function is to help buffer the impact of the real bump stop, which is the steel cup it goes into. If it's missing, it won't hurt a thing. Just replace it when you're able.

The jounce cups are about $13 each on Amazon (Crown part I think). You will want to get a new cup bolt for each side. I think they are a M10 or M12 by 25mm? Hose the frame stalks that the cups mount to out from the top side to get all the crud out of them. They have tiny drains that clog and hold water. I had to remove the wheel and compress, then drop the spring out one side at a time to get the cup's threads cleaned out. The spring's top opening was not large enough for the new cup to go thru while attached to the stalk so I had to put the cup and the bolt, inside the spring and get the bolt started by hand from inside and tighten it up. Then you can jack the axle up to push the stop in with a little soap and a spacer made of wood. Finish by decompressing the spring. Kind of a pain.

I agree with this. I used sumo springs in place of the bump stops on the rear of my JK and now in the front of my JTD. If you have a tendency to use your bump stops, the progressive ones make a noticeable difference (especially since the JL/JT diesels bottom out over speed bumps)

Reactions: R3
Back