Blue and Green Trails

Damtall

Member 2024
I know this is going to sound strange, and make me sound like a pansy (I don't care), but do all or most off-road parks have Blue and Green Trails? I did not buy or build my Jeep to break it. I built it to enjoy it. I enjoy the sights, the views and the peace of mind when I go off-road. I am perfectly happy with a gravel road, even though I really enjoyed Crawler Ridge at Rausch! Moab, Uwharrie, Windrock, etc. Thanks!

i like blues as well and maybe a black or two. i was at the cove a few months ago and about bailed mid run. too much constant crawling for me,

Every park or even trail destination I've ever been to has a wide mix of trails. I also enjoy just riding a forest service road, just for the pleasure of being outside. If offroad parks only had blacks and reds, they would lock out about 80% of drivers for the reasons you mentioned. Nobody wants to break their rig or be anxious about doing so every time they go out. Even in Moab I run some 3 rated trails as well as the 7 or 8 rated ones. No shame in going easy, just as long as you're getting out in the dirt with friends.

All the few places I have been to and all the Jeep jamborees have a wide variety of trail levels. Although, the numbers vary I have noticed. A 6 up in PA was much more difficult than a 6 at Uwharrie.

Mike you are a SISSY! 😛 Most places do have a good mix of trail levels. Especially to travel around to get to more difficult trails. Fire roads are fun for most to get out and see the sights too! I would say you are pretty normal for not wanting to break your Jeep. But as others have mentioned the level may vary from place to place also.

Mike you are a SISSY! 😛 Most places do have a good mix of trail levels. Especially to travel around to get to more difficult trails. Fire roads are fun for most to get out and see the sights too! I would say you are pretty normal for not wanting to break your Jeep. But as others have mentioned the level may vary from place to place also.
Yes, I am a sissy, that likes deer jerky! :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like you are ready for Mammoth at AOAA!

You should go to Oakridge Estates in Nelson County for the rides they host twice a year. There are a lot of nice green trails to obstacles with bypasses. I had a blast in the fall. And lots of rigs took the bypasses that went around obstacles they were not prepared to take.

@Damtall55
A littel time on the ole internet will give you morre information that you ever wanted with respect to places to ride. Each park has a web page and many have on line maps. Each map is usually marked with types and skill level for trails.

Some places you may enjoy,
Windrock. 70,000+ ac of trails from mild to wild.
Burning rock WV. lots of easy stuff there
GW and Jefferson national forests
AoAA
Rausch Creek
Cove
All else fails look at NFS they have an interactive map. their tough trails are like Flag pole. (NFS is the national forest serivce)

Several on line services will show trails and places to go four wheeling.

Because we build our Jeep doesn't mean we want to break them. some of us just plain enjoy the sport and the challenge and most of the time bring everything home the way it left.

Cheers

Some on line resources

Cheers

i like blues as well and maybe a black or two. i was at the cove a few months ago and about bailed mid run. too much constant crawling for me,
The one thing I do like about the cove is that for those that want to have a cool lake view etc. and not wheel, you can do that too with well-kept campgrounds. I wouldn't personally recommend that off-road park for someone only looking for straight gravel, but their trails are fun if you are looking for a 'constant never-ending' challenge.

Mike, if you ever want me to point you in some directions for some peaceful trails happy to pick out some in Rausch too.

The one thing I do like about the cove is that for those that want to have a cool lake view etc. and not wheel, you can do that too with well-kept campgrounds. I wouldn't personally recommend that off-road park for someone only looking for straight gravel, but their trails are fun if you are looking for a 'constant never-ending' challenge.

Mike, if you ever want me to point you in some directions for some peaceful trails happy to pick out some in Rausch too.
Lots of great trails at the Cove. And for the most part they’re accurately rated. The short drive to get there makes it top on my list.

New here and have seen "The Cove" mentioned a lot in the forums, but I can't seem to find it using good old Google. Can someone provide a more specific name, or at least a town close by? A website would be even better if one exists! Thx!

It’s in Gore, VA. Outside of Winchester. Worth a trip even if you don’t hit the trails. Two of my biggest largemouth have come outta there.

Last edited:
New here and have seen "The Cove" mentioned a lot in the forums, but I can't seem to find it using good old Google. Can someone provide a more specific name, or at least a town close by? A website would be even better if one exists! Thx!
Check out Big Dogs Family off road to see when the events are. The cove isn’t a place you can show up and wheel.

Back