Big offroad event this weekend

cptchaos4567

Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
Went out to the to an event this weekend.
Overall, solid event. The trails are incredible, and I managed to pull off some things that a) I wasn’t sure I could do, and b) wouldn’t have been able to manage before a lift and bigger tires. I also learned not to attempt the same driveline as the guy who owns his own offroad shop 😂
It was really cool to see everyone and everything from the recreational mall crawlers out on Peter’s Mill-like bunny trails (level 1s, 2s and 3s) to the hard core types with wheeled roll cages hitting cliffs (the 10s).
My observations though were with the folks in between (4s to 8s). Seems there are three types.
First, there are obviously folks who know how to drive and have the rig to match (I was with a whole group of them yesterday, and it was awesome!) The rigs are maintained, everyone is properly prepared and for the most part they can navigate some pretty gnarly poop or know when to bypass.
The second type is the person who tries to substitute mods for skill. They don’t know what they have and they don’t know how to use it, they don’t know how to or just don’t prepare, and there is a 50/50 chance that if they have a winch, it is defective.
The third is the “hold my beer group. Holy crap… today’s trail guide fell in this category. This is the person who wears body damage and patch kits like a badge of honor. Drive lines aren’t really “a thing”. If they can’t get up something with their overheating stock shitbox that hasn’t seen a wrench in at least a decade, then the obvious solution is to back up, and full send up the *exact* same path which claimed their first tire. Frankly, it doesn’t really matter if it is stock, or lifted. The approach is basically the same! MOAR GAS!!! poop is funny on YouTube, but it sucks to see a two hour trail drag into five.
Obviously, poop happens. Everyone gets stuck. But there is a HUGE difference between getting stuck and having the ability to get unstuck, and making a situation worse with defective gear and vehicles.
Anyways, I’ll head out to the next event at this location (yes, I’m being deliberately obscure), but I’m hoping more NOVA Jeepers show up because folks here know the value of being prepared and of being smart about wheeling.
Anyways, apologies for the semi-rant.
Pics for attention…

Attachments

• D9DEDBE1-C163-4220-BB18-80925BF8CC75.jpeg
    D9DEDBE1-C163-4220-BB18-80925BF8CC75.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 66
  • 25500641-58AA-4F7C-84EE-C6C37EE9F75C.jpeg
    25500641-58AA-4F7C-84EE-C6C37EE9F75C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
I'm noticing a theme in your wheeling adventures . . .
"But there is a HUGE difference between getting stuck and having the ability to get unstuck, and making a situation worse with defective gear and vehicles"
Similar problems on the snowy flag pole run too. Glad you had a good group the one day!

Tell me about it.
Fortunately, that is really only two of the trips that I’ve taken. But frankly, it definitely makes me gun shy about wheeling with randos. It also means that my tendency to add “one more thing” for preparedness sake is well founded.

There wasn’t a time this last weekend where I thought, “gee… I wish I had…”

Chances are that if it was needed for recovery, I probably had it along.

The next step will be ensuring that I have some requisite spare parts and fluids to fix more major issues as they arise. Still learning in that area.

Back