Big Levels 4x4 question

Not sure if this is the right sub for this. Looking at taking my mostly stock LJ and small dual sport for a weekend at big levels. Never been on this trail before. How does it compare to the flagpole loop? Any deep crossings or big rock sections? Would like to do the full loop in both the LJ and on 2 wheels. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I think you are referring to the big levels to bald mountain loop that ends on the parkway? Big levels is a very flat portion of the trail. I recommend going up bald mountain for your first time. It is the most fun direction in my opinion. There are side trails and obstacles for people that want a challenge but almost all of them have an easier path around. The last time I drove it I believe it took close to 4 hours. There are some pretty gnarly mud holes towards the top and places to camp closer to the parkway. Depending on rain you will want a winch going through the water. I had it up to my headlights before. A stock Jeep can easily take this trail just know your rig. There were multiple broken down abandoned vehicles to pass by the last time I was up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are referring to the big levels to bald mountain loop that ends on the parkway? Big levels is a very flat portion of the trail. I recommend going up bald mountain for your first time. It is the most fun direction in my opinion. There are side trails and obstacles for people that want a challenge but almost all of them have an easier path around. The last time I drove it I believe it took close to 4 hours. There are some pretty gnarly mud holes towards the top and places to camp closer to the parkway. Depending on rain you will want a winch going through the water. I had it up to my headlights before. A stock Jeep can easily take this trail just know your rig. There were multiple broken down abandoned vehicles to pass by the last time I was up there.

Thank you! Do you remember if there is enough space to bypass the deep water for a motorcycle?

Yes a motorcycle shouldn’t have any problem really, there are bypasses for all the deep water and a bike should be able to go around any of the obstacles. There are bears up there to be safe when camping.

It really depends on the recent weather. Those holes keep water year round. There are bypasses as far as I remember, but if you go following a big rain they can get wet too. Worst case they may need to kind of walk them around the edge and fight off some branches and so forth. It is a really fun trail.

It is a really fun trail. The most fun I’ve had was taking it in the dark.

Back