Anyone here have any knowledge/tips/ownership experience with “C” generation (3rd Gen) Mazda Miatas?

Mudskipper

2nd Time Around
Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
we’re looking to get a 3rd gen (2006-2012ish) Miata (because I guess we’re not spending enough $$$ on Jeep accessories lol). Looking for an early C generation, manual transmission only, under 90k miles, ragtop.

don’t know much about them other than the basics of checking out any used car, but not much model-specific. I’ve watched some videos about what to look for (radiator “greening”), rust spots, top, water channels, etc, but that about all.

if anyone has any other insights or tips, I’d be appreciative of hearing them.

TIA!

Although I don’t have any experience with Miatas, I do have experience with Mazdas. I had a 2003 Mazda protege for 16 years. We put 200k miles on it and the only maintenance I had to do was replace the plugs and the thermostat and serpentine belt. I sold it when we traveled around the US. When I was in Washington I bought a 1998 protege with 300k+ miles on it for $800. I drove the piss out of it and gave it to my buddy when we moved back. He still lives out there and drives it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriends son is a Toyota mechanic (10+ years) and is on a drift team that runs Miata's and they work on those buggers a lot (sliding sideways into other cars and walls requires lot of work). He said and I quote "The 06-12 model is the Miata that Miata people hate". He said that he is willing to help you out, if you want to discuss it with him I can shoot you his contact info in a DM.

My girlfriends son is a Toyota mechanic (10+ years) and is on a drift team that runs Miata's and they work on those buggers a lot (sliding sideways into other cars and walls requires lot of work). He said and I quote "The 06-12 model is the Miata that Miata people hate". He said that he is willing to help you out, if you want to discuss it with him I can shoot you his contact info in a DM.
Yeah I specifically WANT the C generation because I think it’s the best looking. It’s heavier, which is why most of the purists dislike it so much. But I like the body style best in that generation.

I’d certainly appreciate his contact info. I won’t be a pest, lolz.

thanks!

Yeah I specifically WANT the C generation because I think it’s the best looking. It’s heavier, which is why most of the purists dislike it so much. But I like the body style best in that generation.

I’d certainly appreciate his contact info. I won’t be a pest, lolz.

thanks!
I sent you a DM.

The NC is a great platform and the only one to offer an optional full folding hardtop (weighs slightly more, but well-worth it if you plan to commute in it vs track it). The NC is also the least miata of all the miatas, as it was built on the RX8 platform, making it the heaviest variant. Because of this, the NB and NC drive and handle very differently despite sharing the same model name. NC is a pretty good value these days, with the earlier, higher mileage examples well under 10k. No matter what you choose, the miata is a ton of fun.

Back