Any info on Bear Wallow?

BluJT

Member 2024
Blue Ribbon Coalition
VA4WDA
We are heading out to Bear Wallow in the Hatfield McCoy trail system WV next week.  Any recommendations on good trails or some to stay away from with a Gladiator on 37s?

Last time I was there it was ATVUTV  motorcycle only.  If it has opened up to  Jeeps  please report back . Always looking for new grounds to explore.

Cheers
R3

Maybe this is the overlanding run in June?

Also  remember  a trail  on off of long run we took wound down to Miller creek before it ended. That would be a great spot too.

How is your camper build coming?

BluJT said:
We are heading out to Bear Wallow in the Hatfield McCoy trail system WV next week.  Any recommendations on good trails or some to stay away from with a Gladiator on 37s?

Check out LiteBrite on YouTube.  They explored trails in that area and posted it on YouTube.

Jeepin_Donnie said:
BluJT said:

Check out LiteBrite on YouTube.  They explored trails in that area and posted it on YouTube.
I watched their video last night but they did some of the more extreme stuff

R3 said:
Last time I was there it was ATVUTV  motorcycle only.  If it has opened up to  Jeeps  please report back . Always looking for new grounds to explore.

Cheers
R3
Bear Wallow is Mostly Jeep drivable and they have a new trail area called Ivy Branch that is Jeep driveable as well that opened this year, all the rest is ATV/UTV and single track only.

BluJT said:
Jeepin_Donnie said:
BluJT said:

Please report back and let us know how the trails were! 

Jeepin_Donnie said:
BluJT said:
Jeepin_Donnie said:
BluJT said:

Will do!

Please report back and let us know how the trails were!

Ivy Branch has been open for some time now, it was the only Jeep area. I have not made it down to wheel there yet, but a lot of guys I used to wheel with in that area were responsible for the trails opening. It has everything from mild to wild.

If they opened more Jeep areas. I have not heard about it.

dave2002ti said:
smileyT said:
When I researched the trail it was open to Jeep’s. They do require a Helmet on the trail.

T

What rating to the ey require for helmet?

Dave Apker
Couldn’t tell you. Just saw a helmet was required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This website shows that it’s also open to “4x4’s”.

https://trailsheaven.com/category/news/

dave2002ti said:
smileyT said:
When I researched the trail it was open to Jeep’s. They do require a Helmet on the trail.

T

What rating to the ey require for helmet?

Dave Apker
Everyone must wear a DOT or Snell approved helmet and eye protection

ORV-Specific Rules

ORVs are ONLY permitted on the Bearwallow, Cabwaylingo and Ivy Branch trail systems.

Driver and passengers are required to wear helmets.

Driver and passengers must have valid trail permits.

A valid driver’s license is required to operate an ORV.

All passengers must be 8 years of age or older OR at least 6 years of age and 4 feet tall. No booster or car seats are allowed.

Seat belts must be worn at all times. the number of passengers is limited to the number of factory installed seat belts.

ORVs are required to have a roll cage on all most difficult (black and black/red) trails.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

From the above... Helmets and roll cages are required for ORVs, and we only have access to three trails.

Is the DOT approval and Snell approval either motorcycle or vehicle? Yeah there is big difference in the head and fire protection offered.

A DOT motorcycle or Snell motorcycle approval is better than nothing but doesnt offer the head protection that the SA rating from Snell does.

I spend the money for Snell rating over just the DOT and have in the past.

Its your head and brain

Dave Apker

dave2002ti said:
Is the DOT approval and Snell approval either motorcycle or vehicle? Yeah there is big difference in the head and fire protection offered.

A DOT motorcycle or Snell motorcycle approval is better than nothing but doesnt offer the head protection that the SA rating from Snell does.

I spend the money for Snell rating over just the DOT and have in the past.

Its your head and brain

Dave Apker
Helmets are required for all riders and passengers of all vehicle types.

You can get a half helmet for $80ish that's DOT approved.

The cages in black and reds is interesting. I wonder what they consider a roll cage.

Back