2023 Gravel Grinders National Championship Support Ride (May 13, 2023)

Added to Calendar: 05-13-23

Oakton Bubba

Member 2024
Who: NOVA Jeepers looking to support the Off-Road bike racing community
What: 2023 Gravel Grinders National Championship, a 100 mile bike race in Loudoun County. NOVA Jeepers will be providing support on the day of the race to recover injured bikers / bikers who are unable to complete the race / and if the weather does not cooperate, recover stuck vehicles.
Where: The race covers a 50 mile loop of gravel roads across Loudoun County, the race will start and end at Bluemont Station (18301 Whitehall Estate Ln, Bluemont, VA 20135)
When: May 13, 2023

Schedule of Events Saturday May 13, 2023
6:45 AM: Prerace Briefing, pickup radios, pick up bike racks, at Bluemont Station (18301 Whitehall Estate Ln, Bluemont, VA 20135) Please enter by way of Route 7 to avoid start area
7:30 AM: Grinder Nationals Start at Bluemont Station - @Galactica to tail the last rider of the Nationals Race for the duration of the course
8:00 AM: Mini G Start at Bluemont Station - @WNDR-XJ to tail the last rider of the Mini G race for the duration of the course
8:15 AM: @Critter_w_Jeep and @RubiDukkie to deploy pickup locations to await calls for assistance
3:30 PM: Awards Ceremony at Bluemont Station

Current confirmed Participants
JeeperRadioBike RackRecovery GearRole
@RubiDukkieHandheld GMRSYesKinetic Rope, Soft Shackles, Tow RopeRescue Jeep #3 at Philmont Community Center
@Damtall55Handheld GMRSNoBubba Ropes, WinchRescue Jeep #5 at Philmont Community Center
@GalacticaHandheld GMRS / VHFYesKinetic Ropes, Soft Shackles (Winch if driving a Jeep)Sweeper - Jeep #1 - Nationals
@WNDR-XJ (for first 4 hours of race)Handheld GMRS / VHFNoKinetic Rope, Soft Shackles, WinchSweeper - Jeep #2 - Mini G
@Critter_w_JeepYesBasic Recovery GearRescue - Jeep 4 - at Willisville Rd and Welbourne Rd

How we will help day of:
Sweepers
(@Galactica and @WNDR-XJ) will follow behind the last rider of each race and be responsible for ensuring that no riders are left on the course. Sweepers may encounter riders who need assistance, they are to call for a rescue jeep to come grab the rider, or offer to bring the rider to the next aid station or to the finish if they are willing to ride along. Sweepers will communicate with the rescue Jeeps and the dispatch center via text, and ham radio.

Rescue Jeeps (@Critter_w_Jeep and @RubiDukkie) will be stationed at two different aid stations throughout the course. The aid stations will be staffed by Ham radio operators, race coordinators, and medical staff. Calls will come over the radio or via text message requesting assistance in picking up riders. Rescue Jeeps will usually be given coordinates, or a mile marker on the track where the person requiring assistance is located. The rescue Jeep will then deliver the rider requiring assistance back to the start of the race (if dropping out) or to the nearest aid station. When picking up a rider you will need to record their name, and race number and provide that information to the race timer at the finish line of the race.

How will we communicate?
Dispatch, Race Coordinators, Sweeping Jeeps, and Rescue Jeeps will communicate via Handheld Ham Radios, Cell Phone, and Text messages. Mobile Ham base stations will be set up at each of the Aid stations, and handheld units will be given to the Jeeps.

What is the course, and where will I go?
I have put the course into Gaia GPS and marked all of the waypoint where Jeeps will be staged.

Roles for Specific Jeeps:
Jeep #1
Grinder Nationals Sag – 102 miles Sag for Grinder Nationals – Set odometer to zero at race start and follow behind last rider. Stay back at least 100 yards. You must stay behind the last rider – if another rider needs a ride back to the finish line you should call for a different rescue jeep. You can pick up a rider if they are willing to ride with you as you sag behind the last place rider until you get to an aid station or to the finish. Tell the aid station at mile 50 (Red Gate Farms) that the last rider for Grinder Nationals has passed this point. Continue to follow last rider
1683804296878.png

Tell the aid station at mile 75 (Philomont Community Center) that the last rider for Grinder Nationals has passed this point. Turn around and continue to follow last rider
1683804354496.png

After the last rider finishes tell the timer at the finish line that the last rider for Grinder Nationals has finished. If you picked up a rider and brought them to the finish line, record riders name and number on your sheet and give this information to the timer (Chris) at the finish line at Bluemont Station.

Jeep #2
Sag for Mini G – Set odometer to zero at race start and follow behind last rider. Stay back at least 100 yards. You must stay behind the last rider – if another rider needs a ride back to the finish line you should call for a different rescue jeep. You can pick up a rider if they are willing to ride with you as you sag behind the last place rider until you get to an aid station or to the finish. Tell the aid station at mile 28 (Philomont Community Center) that the last rider for Mini G has passed this point, continue to follow last rider
1683804354496.png

All riders will be traveling on Snickersville Hwy and the Grinder Nationals riders will turn left onto Yellow Schoolhouse Road around the 38 mile mark to start their 2nd lap. The Mini G riders will continue straight on Snickersville Hwy towards the finish at Bluemont Station. There will be signs at the intersection denoting this. Call Matt 785-375-3773 and tell him when the last rider for Mini G has passed this intersection.
1683804499480.png

After the last rider finishes tell the timer at the finish line that the last rider for the Mini G has finished. If you picked up a rider and brought them to the finish line, record riders name and number on your sheet and give this information to the timer (Chris) at the finish line at Bluemont Station. Drive to Philomont Community Center - 36592 Jeb Stuart Rd, Philomont, VA 20131 to serve as a pick up vehicle.

Jeep #3 & #5
Stage with radio team at Philomont Community Center 36592 Jeb Stuart Rd, Philomont, VA 20131 Pick-up rider and bicycle when dispatched and deliver to Bluemont Station 18301 Whitehall Estate Ln, Bluemont, VA 20135. Record riders name and number on your sheet and give this information to the timer (Chris) at the finish line at Bluemont Station.

Jeep #4
Stage with radio team at Willisville road & 623 Pick-up rider and bicycle when dispatched and deliver to Bluemont Station 18301 Whitehall Estate Ln, Bluemont, VA 20135. Record riders name and number on your sheet and give this information to the timer (Chris) at the finish line at Bluemont Station.

Additional information:
  1. Gravel Grinders has offered to provide support vehicles with bike racks in order to assist in this event.
  2. We may be asked to rescue cars if the weather does not cooperate. Please bring along your recovery gear.
  3. Jeeps will be scattered across the course, we will do our best to plan for locations ahead of time, but be prepared for things to change the day of
  4. There are segments of the course with little to no cell phone service - please download offline maps of the area ahead of time
  5. Due to the range of the race GMRS may not provide coverage of the entire area, be prepared to operate autonomously or without communications.
  6. There may be periods of downtime during the race - be prepared to enjoy the scenery :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@WNDR-XJ was just talking about how memorable that event was last year. Pending the dates we would be up for supporting again! If rain is in the forecast we will make sure to bring more recovery gear!

Depending on the date, I’d love to come play. Was bummed I couldn’t make it last year.

Update from Troy Farrar:
"We have a date - May 13, 2023 for the Gravel Grinder National Championship.
Please put the word out as NOVA Jeepers were awesome last year and a big part of the success of the event"

I will bring this up at Sundays Club meeting.

Dang. I'm in NC for a week and that's smack dab in the middle of it. :( Come to think of it, I think this same trip is the reason I missed it last year.

i will most likely be at a vball tournament that weekend according my schedule. if i can get out of it i would like to support.

As far as I can tell from my schedule I am around and willing to help.
However, my my jeep doesn't have a winch, if that is a prerequisite.
I do have a double bike rack that is generally attached

I'll try to mark my calendar as a head start for now, anyone have more details on the support that is being requested to provide? Any pictures etc. stories?

I am interested in helping, not sure what the details are and what is expected but I would like to participate if I can.
Frank

Below is info on the person from Gravel Grinders to contact about leading this effort. The event should be in May again, currently I do not know where it will be around our area. I will say something at todays Club Meeting. Tony is the Director for this event and is located in Austin Tx. The riders in this event come from all over the US to compete and are hardcore Bike Riders.
Troy Farrar
US Endurance
979-703-5018
www.USEndurance.com
www.GrinderNationals.com

Update: the event is:
Grinder Nationals
May 13, 2023 Start / Finish at Bluemont Station - Bluemont, Va
Mini G 50 mile fun Ride
Grinder Nationals - 100 mile National Championship
Start time 7:30 am
www.grindernationals.com

The course they are running is the same as last year.

Lets start a list of those who can participate:
1. Damtall55
2. ChickenSandwich
3. silverhawkjlu
4. Fiorenini
5. Critter_w_Jeep
6. BldyFrog (tentative)

Last edited:
Before I go ahead and click contact us on the website, would you suggest a contact to discuss details and expectations with and I can come back here and post it for those requesting? Not sure what this entails but I am happy to get the information, does contacting Troy or Tony work and are there emails for that etc.?

Before I go ahead and click contact us on the website, would you suggest a contact to discuss details and expectations with and I can come back here and post it for those requesting? Not sure what this entails but I am happy to get the information, does contacting Troy or Tony work and are there emails for that etc.?
Hiam,
You can call me for a brief discussion about the event and expectations.
They are running the same circuit as last year out in Bluemont. The Loudoun Amateur Radio Club will again be helping with Communications.
A bike rack is needed by most everyone to be able to transport riders that can no longer continue due to the bike not being repairable or the driver having medical issues.
A GMRS Radio will be used by Club Members ( if you don't have one, it's the new way for Jeeps to communicate vs CB) and the Ham club helping will have access to those frequencies and will set up stations with a large elevated antenna.
Feel free to reach out to Troy Farrar:
Troy Farrar
US Endurance
979-703-5018
www.USEndurance.com
www.GrinderNationals.com

You can contact me at 703 463 6338. I have too much going on currently to be involved this year and we need someone else to take the lead on this. I just tried to get this running on the forum this year.

my wife should be back by then but we are supposed to be at a tourney in Richmond that weekend. please pencil me in as tentative. i enjoyed last year and i will do what i can to get out of richmond.

Back