06 KJ LCA Bushings question

Hey all...

I'm rebuilding my KJ's suspension and got new bushings instead of new LCAs - huge mistake. The old bushings are too big for my press and are just an all around PITA. Any suggestions for a garage in the Burke/Springfield area that won't charge an arm & a leg to push the old ones out and install the new ones? Much appreciated!

Hey all...

I'm rebuilding my KJ's suspension and got new bushings instead of new LCAs - huge mistake. The old bushings are too big for my press and are just an all around PITA. Any suggestions for a garage in the Burke/Springfield area that won't charge an arm & a leg to push the old ones out and install the new ones? Much appreciated!
Go see Brad at Saratoga Sunoco and mention you heard about him on NOVA Jeepers. Don't tell him I sent you. He'll probably double your cost! :ROFLMAO:

Spoke with him yesterday and unfortunately (and understandably), he won't install customer provided bushings. Pretty much every commercial garage has the same policy, so unless someone here has a shop press in their garage I can use, I'm probably gonna have to just buy a new pair of LCAs 😕

Spoke with him yesterday and unfortunately (and understandably), he won't install customer provided bushings. Pretty much every commercial garage has the same policy, so unless someone here has a shop press in their garage I can use, I'm probably gonna have to just buy a new pair of LCAs 😕

Where are you at? You can come by and use my press if I'm not way out of your way (Route 17 In Fredericksburg)

Where are you at? You can come by and use my press if I'm not way out of your way (Route 17 In Fredericksburg)
Appreciate the offer! Fredericksburg is a major hike for me (Burke/Alexandria). I ended up biting the bullet and buying a pair of LCAs. Still having press issues though. This time, with my lower ball joints. The throat on my press tool is just a bit too short to adequately install it and I ended up snagging and tearing up the boot on my brand new ball joint.

Go see Brad at Saratoga Sunoco and mention you heard about him on NOVA Jeepers. Don't tell him I sent you. He'll probably double your cost! :ROFLMAO:
Btw, I just got off the phone with him about installing lower ball joints on my knuckles. I have the knuckles off the vehicle, so we're talking cost of the ball joints (~$75 total) and ~10 min of labor (heck, round it up to an hour to be generous) and he wanted $500. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't compute. Sounds like a "eff-off, I'm not interested" estimate...

If you have the space for it, we picked up Harbor Freight's cheapest shop press a couple of years ago for about $125. We were re-gearing and figured we'd bite the bullet. We have used it SO many times since then for SO many things. Super helpful tool to have around - you won't regret it if you get one.

The guys at BleepinJeep love the cheap Harbor Freight press too, and you can turn it into a brake!

I'll second what Sarah said about a shop press. The Harbor Freight one, which I also had, I awesome. I did ball joints on my old Cadillacs, axle bearings, and a million other things. Can't beat it. Just remember some things need a shock as well as push. So before you keep cranking the hydraulic pressure, give it a sharp whack with a hammer when under tension. Helps break the grip.

Back