Metal Bumper with a winch for 2023 Rubicon Xtreme? Which one to get and where to get it?

Hi All... just got a Rubicon 4 door (Xtreme package) as a middle life crisis gift... Jeep came with a regular plastic bumper... Looking to get a nice metal bumper with a nice winch... I am using a word 'nice' since I am first time owner and have never taken a Jeep anywhere before.

So I would appreciate some expert advice - which bumper/winch combo to get, and place where I can get it / and get them installed.

Thank you!

Last edited:
As for installation, ask for help and tools/driveway/garage space and we can get it done. Unless you want to take it to a shop. I have never dealt with a JLU, so I cannot say it is super easy, but I am sure others have and can assist.

Last edited:
quadratec.com has a bunch of options.

Couple of shops in the area are Bull Run 4x4 and ORi. I believe Bull Run doesn’t install customer supplied parts but they could get you what you want and install it for you.

quadratec.com has a bunch of options.

Couple of shops in the area are Bull Run 4x4 and ORi. I believe Bull Run doesn’t install customer supplied parts but they could get you what you want and install it for you.
Thanks. Yes, I know there are lots of options online. I kidda like this one https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...umper-jeep-wrangler-jl/ful-width-q1000s-winch .

I am just not sure if this would be too heavy, and if I need heavy duty winch.

I will checkout Bull Run 4x4 / ORi.

I have this steel bumper for sale.
Does not come with winch plate or winch so you can get any one you want, a la cart.
I'll even help you install it.

I’d recommend enjoying the Jeep as is for a few months first, and taking that time to draw upon the experience of other Jeepers. For instance on bumpers: width: full, mid or stub? Winch mount: top, or recessed? Winch: integrated solenoids or remote box.

Exercise patience, Then you’ll better know how to best allocate those jeep mod dollars across the rig. And have fun enjoying the goodness of a basic Jeep in the meantime.

Last edited:
You are about to embark down a very slippery slope, lol.

I’d recommend enjoying the Jeep as is for a few months first, and taking that time to draw upon the experience of other Jeepers. For instance on bumpers: width: full, mid or stub? Winch mount: top, or recessed? Winch: integrated solenoids or remote box. What about air?

Exercise patience, Then you’ll better know how to best allocate those jeep mod dollars across the rig.
Thank you for your response. Point taken...

However, did not get your reference about "air". What about "air"?

Thank you for your response. Point taken...

However, did not get your reference about "air". What about "air"?
Pretty sure he means air in your tires, Do you want to air down? How much? When you get off the trails, what priority do you place on airing back up?

Pretty sure he means air in your tires, Do you want to air down? How much? When you get off the trails, what priority do you place on airing back up?
Yep, exactly!
Some run an on-board air kit: under the hood, under the seats, in the trunk, or even integrated into a dual purpose winch and air compressor combo unit.
Others will even seal/plumb a tube bumper to double as an air tank.

More so just hinting that patience can be a great investment. And it can be astounding what the average Jeep can do, even in stock form.

You can get by with hitting a gas station close by to air back up. Rausch Creek has air atations in the parking lot. Or if you are lucky like me, you win a Power Tank at a raffle. I need to refill mine.

You should definitely come to a meeting or two to check out what other folks have done to their Jeeps in person. Also, come to the Show & Shine event in May and you will see a crap load of Jeeps to get inspiration.

Yep, exactly!
Some run an on-board air kit: under the hood, under the seats, in the trunk, or even integrated into a dual purpose winch and air compressor combo unit.
Others will even seal/plumb a tube bumper to double as an air tank.

More so just hinting that patience can be a great investment. And it can be astounding what the average Jeep can do, even in stock form.
Thanks. I guess.. on-board air kit is on my christmas list to self... ;)

Think of it as an installment plan. Every month or two, you add a gadget like an air source, some skid plating in various places, recovery gear, etc. In a year or two, you’re pretty much kitted-out for having everything you’d reasonably need on most any trail ride. Spacing it out over time takes some of the $$$ sting out of it, AND gives you time to research what your next purchase should be based on what you’ll learn as you read about what others have added.

i could give you a specific itemized list and say “here, order all this tomorrow and have a shop install it all next week” but doing it that way will deprive you of what you’ll learn researching all this stuff on your own, and installing as much as you can on your own or with help of other Jeepers.

Off-roading is a “lifetime game“, just like golf. Equipment is only half the game. Knowledge and experience are the other half, and every bit as important.

If you are worried about weight, check out GenRight. they have Aluminum bumpers to fit with winch plates. weigh tis you enemy.... How do I know? I drive a 6800 JKU lol

Thanks. I guess.. on-board air kit is on my christmas list to self... ;)
Viair makes great portable compressors. Totally self contained, just hook it up to the battery when needed. Move it from one vehicle to another as easily as you‘d move a tool bag. I have a 450P which I just acquired to replace an Oasis that I owned for twenty years. The Viair is sooooo much quieter and faster than my old Oasis, too. Airs up a 33” tire from 12 lbs to 30 lbs in about two and a half minutes.

Viair makes great portable compressors. Totally self contained, just hook it up to the battery when needed. Move it from one vehicle to another as easily as you‘d move a tool bag. I have a 450P which I just acquired to replace an Oasis that I owned for twenty years. The Viair is sooooo much quieter and faster than my old Oasis, too. Airs up a 33” tire from 12 lbs to 30 lbs in about two and a half minutes.
I use a Powertank, but have a viar unit for when I don’t need to be quick and don’t want to use up my CO2 (or am already out like I am now). The viar gets hot but definitely does the job

brogue, I'm in a similar predicament with my plastic bumper. Looking at a Mopar 3-piece steel bumper because my wife couldn't tell the difference. Recently lost a new rifle scope to poor timing. Would have to ship to a different address and wrench it on somewhere else. Logistics always suck, with plausible deniability. The Mopar bumper requires a winch plate.

brogue, I'm in a similar predicament with my plastic bumper. Looking at a Mopar 3-piece steel bumper because my wife couldn't tell the difference. Recently lost a new rifle scope to poor timing. Would have to ship to a different address and wrench it on somewhere else. Logistics always suck, with plausible deniability. The Mopar bumper requires a winch plate.
I’m deceased with lolz!

my wife DEMANDED a tire carrier rear bumper within the first week after we bought the JKU. The spare had been on the tailgat on the factory mount, but it had developed some sag from the bigger tires egging out the bolt holes. She couldn’t lift the tailgate up enough to get it to shut.

You can ship to my place and we can install one weekend

Back