What did you do to your Jeep today? - September 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced the rusted through windshield yesterday. So many holes. Have to fold it back down and fix the wiper configuration, install the new wiper arms, install mirror, visors and soft top pieces today. Wanted to get the windshield in place before Sunday so I can get a fresh inspection sticker on it while I'm installing the Dana 489.

C13C0AD1-A8AE-4AFF-8C67-71D9022C5806.jpeg

B5BC08C2-D131-41FB-959E-691F253DBE20.jpeg

Ordered a new PRP Enduro Elite Recliner Seat since the stock seat from 97 went into auto recline mode.
I would totally love to sit in it once you get it as my seats are about done and that is the seat I'm looking to get. What fabrics did you go with?

I would totally love to sit in it once you get it as my seats are about done and that is the seat I'm looking to get. What fabrics did you go with?
Black on Black fabric. One of the "in stock" ones. Hopefully it comes in before the next BigDogs in October or I'll have to get pretty creative.

Decided to take a break today and change out my JL grille inserts for the larger JT honeycomb style. It also seems like Jeep has moved to using those grille inserts for JLs with 4xE setups, 392s, and front cameras at a minimum. People do it for increased airflow, especially after reading this article on how they changed airflow to the grille as one of the ways to enhance the JT's tow rating: https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453.

Who knows if it'll really help me, but it was cheap, easy to do, and I like how it looks better (I won't hold my breath that my 2.0T fan won't kick on like crazy on the trails though).

You can see how the pieces are pretty similar except for the size of the openings:
IMG_4296.jpg

Per Bolt instructions I had to do a small mod to cut out a piece to make room for my hood lock:
IMG_4298.jpg

Here's a good before/after:

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-1VFIwcZEVmZ0.jpg

Decided to take a break today and change out my JL grille inserts for the larger JT honeycomb style. It also seems like Jeep has moved to using those grille inserts for JLs with 4xE setups, 392s, and front cameras at a minimum. People do it for increased airflow, especially after reading this article on how they changed airflow to the grille as one of the ways to enhance the JT's tow rating: https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453.

Who knows if it'll really help me, but it was cheap, easy to do, and I like how it looks better (I won't hold my breath that my 2.0T fan won't kick on like crazy on the trails though).

You can see how the pieces are pretty similar except for the size of the openings:
View attachment 5202

Per Bolt instructions I had to do a small mod to cut out a piece to make room for my hood lock:
View attachment 5203

Here's a good before/after:

View attachment 5204
Were these the parts you ended up getting? I dig the look and the function!
6QN22RXFAB
6KN48RXFAA
6QN21RXFAB

Last edited:
Were these the parts you ended up getting? I dig the look and the function!
6QN22RXFAB
6KN48RXFAA
6QN21RXFAB
I bought the following set from AllMoparParts that includes all three pieces. Parts numbers are in there so you can check with other sellers too. Shipped pretty quickly: https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/jljtgrilleinsrt.html

I used a half off shipping discount code originally sent to me from the AllMoparParts rep on jlwranglerforums when I bought LCAs -- not sure if there's a better one found from googling, but I could send it to you if you end up buying from them.

Note it says "Does not fit Sport models" (yours started from a Sport?), but my Willys grille is stamped as Sport grille on the inside, and others on the jlwranglerforums with a standard non Willys Sport grill had success putting it in theirs too 🤷‍♂️

For a number of reasons to include budget, the heat and lack of a garage space and numerous other time obligatons I didnt get to do much over the summer with LJ.

Finally got back to the drivers seat rail (3 stubborn bolts) and got the frame of the seat rail with ye old sawzall which took all of 5 mins.

Still have one threaded stud that is rounded off and wont budge. Hit it with more pb blaster while I wait to get my small grinder fixed.

Hopefully sooner than later and I can patch the floor, paint the inside and move on the fuel system and be done with the interior for a while.

Sent from my LM-T600 using Tapatalk

lrK82MU_d.webp

Been a while. We dropped the transmission and transfer case on our YJ. Plan is to replace the throwout bearing that had busted a seal and the clutch for good measure. Now we're debating if we attempt to rebuild the AX5 or just put it back on and run it till it dies.

EBEA0C8A-8839-4F32-BC94-DC7DB29459BC.jpeg

BBD349C9-3FF6-4903-B26D-15EA241C3EEA.jpeg

F5929169-8EDE-4E45-9894-5A2771A4B57A.jpeg

C12CA484-65EB-451E-86D6-2E97EF78EEA9.jpeg

145C7395-421B-40DA-AA5B-14025272FFE5.jpeg

Yanked the D35 out and installed the Dana 489 yesterday. Still need to button some things up, but she runs and drives. Won't get to put any more miles on her for the next 2.5 weeks as I'm heading to BC next week, but she's ready when I get back to finish up and put some miles on her. I still need to hook up the vent tube as it was moved to the other side of the axle compared to the D35. Have to mount and wire the electric actuator for the locked. Had one of the M.O.R.E. bolts/nuts strip on the shackle end. It's in there, just not tight, so working on getting a replacement for that.

My buddy up in BC has a plasma table that he built himself. He's an industrial fabricator by trade and for fun. While I'm up there, I'm going to fab up some U-Bolt plates that are skid plates. The Dana 489 plates are just a liiiiiittle larger than the D35s, so I took a ton of measurements so I can draw something up in CAD, give him the CAD file and have him cut and weld them for me.

I also need to do a ton of research of drive shaft angles. The length is the same on teh drive shaft, but the angle went from 17.1 deg to 24.43 deg. I believe when is a little too steep now at full droop. I took the wedges out, but may need to reinstall them.

I found some more intersting stuff with the D35 also. The ubolts, one set on each side, were loose. Like before putting a socket on it I could move the UBolt around. Since I have ridden many a rock on the UBolt nuts, when I was going under there and doing my post run tighten everything, those nuts were tight because they wer fused in place. Never noticed the D35 tube wearing down due to the slack. If that had kept up, I would have broken the tube for sure. So now, the D35 Detroit True track and 4.56 gears are for sale at a cheaper price, cause I refuse to sell the whole thing as a working rear.

Last edited:
FedEx dropped off 4 of these till I can afford new wheels.. Now I need to figure out how to get them on LOL
spacer.jpg

Helped @OneArmedSaint finish up the rock slides. Granted him and @Nacho already had one done. Then we figured out the parking break and how it works on the JLU and got that reconnected. Lastly I was able to cut off some of the skid plate so it did not sit on the exhaust. Thanks for the tools, brawn and brains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back